ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Trouble accessing this site, after updating to Windows 10

Why did you update to Windows 10?
Never going to do it.

I really didn't. Somehow Windows took hold and did it for me.

I only can get to threads that I've responded to. When I try to access the football forum I get a page from long ago. first post is OT: Mets stuff. No problem accessing basketball forum. or Soccer Lax etc.

I only can get to threads that I've responded to. When I try to access the football forum I get a page from long ago. first post is OT: Mets stuff. No problem accessing basketball forum. or Soccer Lax etc.
Hit refresh in your browser.

If that doesn't work, try a different browser.

Oh Boy, I'm just about to bite the Windows 10 bullet after months of delaying and finally upgrading
some software which needed to be upgraded first.
Is there anyone else having this same problem as R00LZ?

Oh Boy, I'm just about to bite the Windows 10 bullet after months of delaying and finally upgrading
Roolz problem isn't an operating system issue. It is a browser issue. If he's seeing old pages, it means his browser is opening the page from cache, not from the Internet.

Reactions: Leonard23
I use Windows 10's Edge browser with no trouble. Windows 10 is about 5 times faster than Windows 7 was on my machine.

Reactions: gmlongo
I lasted for a week, and I'm reinstalling WIndows 7. Thankfully, I did the upgrade on an old laptop to see how things would go, and without putting any of my personal files at risk. The interface is terrible unless you're on a touch-screen. It kills Windows Media Player and it did NOT install a Windows DVD player it was supposed to if you're upgrading from 7 or 8.1, which isn't really a big deal -- who still plays DVDs? -- but my laptop was the last remaining DVD player in my home for the 40 or so I've got lingering in my collection since the last time I purchased one in 2002. Had all sorts of problems locating like the Task Manager, File Explorer, etc.
Some people love the upgrade; I have yet to find one thing about it that makes it worthwhile, unless you're looking to unify your PC, tablet and mobile device into a single platform.

I lasted for a week, and I'm reinstalling WIndows 7. Thankfully, I did the upgrade on an old laptop to see how things would go, and without putting any of my personal files at risk. The interface is terrible unless you're on a touch-screen. It kills Windows Media Player and it did NOT install a Windows DVD player it was supposed to if you're upgrading from 7 or 8.1, which isn't really a big deal -- who still plays DVDs? -- but my laptop was the last remaining DVD player in my home for the 40 or so I've got lingering in my collection since the last time I purchased one in 2002. Had all sorts of problems locating like the Task Manager, File Explorer, etc.
Some people love the upgrade; I have yet to find one thing about it that makes it worthwhile, unless you're looking to unify your PC, tablet and mobile device into a single platform.
Thanks for the review. The popups are persistent to upgrade. I have 2 laptops running windows 7, and I see no reason to upgrade.

Why did you update to Windows 10?
Never going to do it.
i was once like you... win 10 is much faster than 7/8/8.1... just click the right NOes and get a free stopwindows/anti spy windows program and you're good

interface is fine on my machine, maybe your machine sucks

DVD burner is working fine

Windows Media Player is fine.. hell i'm using it now

.. could be you fked something up in the setup

... everything works just fine as it did with 7 [cheers]

Privacy on 10 is a major issue. Watch some YouTube videos on disabling Windows 10 default install FWIW

interface is fine on my machine, maybe your machine sucks

DVD burner is working fine

Windows Media Player is fine.. hell i'm using it now

.. could be you fked something up in the setup

... everything works just fine as it did with 7 [cheers]
I didn't say anything about the burner, and the upgrade install didn't install a Windows DVD Player, instead prompting me to buy one.

Enjoy Windows 10 and don't feel the need to respond to my experience in order to share the unrivaled joy of your own.

Have you tried downgrading to XP?
XP is no longer supported. But that's what I use. If you use Windows 10 you can't shut off automatic updates, and make sure you change a bunch of privacy settings. MSFT gets your info by default. Google Windows 10, privacy settings.

MSFT should have called it Windows Big Brother.

I didn't say anything about the burner, and the upgrade install didn't install a Windows DVD Player, instead prompting me to buy one.

Enjoy Windows 10 and don't feel the need to respond to my experience in order to share the unrivaled joy of your own.
well good luck with all the holes and viruses that will come

well good luck with all the holes and viruses that will come
Seriously, why do you care which OS I'm running?

Also, I've been meaning to ask: is the whole Confederate Flag thing to test the legitimacy of people's outrage to the "Stars and Bars?" Or are you just a big fan of slavery?

Hit refresh in your browser.

If that doesn't work, try a different browser.

Had the same exact problem

I had same exact problem.
Go to to where it says post new threads all the way to the right. there is a
a red square box with a circle with a line through it. click on it. and it will clear
all filters. But before you do, look all the way to the left and you should see ascending
order, which is giving an alphabetical order instead of by cronicle logical order. So just go
and hit the red square right under the post new thread. and the ascending order will
disappear. Please let me know how it turns out. This all happened because "last
message" was hit.

Seriously, why do you care which OS I'm running?

Also, I've been meaning to ask: is the whole Confederate Flag thing to test the legitimacy of people's outrage to the "Stars and Bars?" Or are you just a big fan of slavery?
1. i'm a tech geek who looks out for friends and i consider any RU fan a friend

2. the confederacy was about states right, open up a few history books and you'll see even freed slaves fought for the southern way of life [smoke]

I might use W10 on a gaming rig but that's all. I just went to W7 last year. Like TV's and phones, W10 sounds like Microsoft's attempt to co-own your computer with you.

I might use W10 on a gaming rig but that's all. I just went to W7 last year. Like TV's and phones, W10 sounds like Microsoft's attempt to co-own your computer with you.
On the other Windows a lot of downloads and apps came with it. But they had to pay royalties on
each one. Now the consumers pay for the ones they want. Saved Microsoft bundles, however they
lowered cost of the new computers, but in my experience, when I bought a new all in one,
it's been a huge headache. and costly. Every thing, to me seems to be made more complicated.

On the other Windows a lot of downloads and apps came with it. But they had to pay royalties on
each one. Now the consumers pay for the ones they want. Saved Microsoft bundles, however they
lowered cost of the new computers, but in my experience, when I bought a new all in one,
it's been a huge headache. and costly. Every thing, to me seems to be made more complicated.

I forgot that I have a tablet with W8.1 on it. I looked over all the apps and could barely find anything worth using even though tablet came with $50 coupon for apps. I only found one weather app to get. I was surprised how lean the MS app selection was

My windows98 os is starting to act up. Should I be concerned? I have been very suspicious of windows xp so I didn't do the upgrade yet.

It was probably the monthly Windows Update. Microsoft has it set up now to automatically upgrade to Windows 10 if you don't uncheck that option during the monthly Update. Trouble is that the display to uncheck the install option isn't on the initial display for Windows Update. You need to click on something like "Other downloads" or something (I can't check cause I'm on my Android tablet now) to get to the popup that let's you uncheck the option to install Windows 10. I think if you have Windows Update set to do an automatic update each month you are already out of luck. As it appears you are.
I'm sticking with Win 7 so that I can use Windows Media Center (removed in 8 or later) as a PVR. I can currently record 13 shows at a time. Screw you Comcast with your Xfinity X1 and recording 6 shows at a time.

It was probably the monthly Windows Update. Microsoft has it set up now to automatically upgrade to Windows 10 if you don't uncheck that option during the monthly Update. Trouble is that the display to uncheck the install option isn't on the initial display for Windows Update. You need to click on something like "Other downloads" or something (I can't check cause I'm on my Android tablet now) to get to the popup that let's you uncheck the option to install Windows 10. I think if you have Windows Update set to do an automatic update each month you are already out of luck. As it appears you are.
I'm sticking with Win 7 so that I can use Windows Media Center (removed in 8 or later) as a PVR. I can currently record 13 shows at a time. Screw you Comcast with your Xfinity X1 and recording 6 shows at a time.
You really have a need to record 13 shows at a time? Can you share which shows? Maybe I am missing something.

You really have a need to record 13 shows at a time? Can you share which shows? Maybe I am missing something.

I don't really watch TV. It's the wife. She watches every drama or crime show on TV. I think the most I've recorded at a time is 10-11 shows. That's around September when all the new shows premiere. And then after 2 weeks a whole bunch of them will get cancelled and more new shows premiere. Luckily I'm a bit of a geek and I made the whole system automated. I just checked and she has 87% of the 8Tb being used on the NAS for her videos and movies. Luckily I have another 8Tb still free. It's all backed up on another 16Tb NAS, too.
It sure beats the old system we used to have with 12 VCRs. Don't get me started on that.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don't really watch TV. It's the wife. She watches every drama or crime show on TV. I think the most I've recorded at a time is 10-11 shows. That's around September when all the new shows premiere. And then after 2 weeks a whole bunch of them will get cancelled and more new shows premiere. Luckily I'm a bit of a geek and I made the whole system automated. I just checked and she has 87% of the 8Tb being used on the NAS for her videos and movies. Luckily I have another 8Tb still free. It's all backed up on another 16Tb NAS, too.
It sure beats the old system we used to have with 12 VCRs. Don't get me started on that.
That's an impressive setup.

ADVERTISEMENT