ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Two Days in Los Angeles

jmc11201

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2005
Boston
Wife and I are headed out to California next month for a few days. Flying into LAX, spending two nights in Solvang and two nights in Santa Monica. Looking for advice for first timers to LA and the Central Coast.

Not super enamored with 'celebrity' spotting type activities, but would like to get a feel for what it is like out there...so any advice is appreciated. Also, any restaurant recommendations are always appreciated.

Solving is great. Definitely hit some wineries. For a meal, check out the Hitching Post from Sideways fame.

LA is massive with so much to do. Do you like museums? Want to hang at the beach? What's your thing? Tours are sort of cheesy but they are a great way to see some cool places in a short amount of time. October is a great month weather wise so you are coming at a good time.

Restaurants, depends on what part of town. Any specific type of cuisine? If you want to stay in Santa Monica for a nice dinner, check out Giorgio Baldi. Make a rez early.

Reactions: RU22 and jmc11201
Go to MariaSol - it's the restaurant at the end of the Santa Monica Pier. It is amazing Mexican food- order the fresh guac that they make in front of you. Go around sunset. Spectacular. Also the sand on the beach in Santa Monica is the softest ever (sorry Jersey Shore). Went up to Santa Barbara too which is a really awesome SoCal town that is beautiful to walk around. Another thing about California - free beaches. Just park and walk right onto the beach.

Also, in town there is a really cool outdoor mall about 3 blocks inland that runs for blocks, check it out. And Rodeo Drive is also an awesome place to walk around. Downtown LA is cool but scary at night.

Solving is great. Definitely hit some wineries. For a meal, check out the Hitching Post from Sideways fame.

LA is massive with so much to do. Do you like museums? Want to hang at the beach? What's your thing? Tours are sort of cheesy but they are a great way to see some cool places in a short amount of time. October is a great month weather wise so you are coming at a good time.

Restaurants, depends on what part of town. Any specific type of cuisine? If you want to stay in Santa Monica for a nice dinner, check out Giorgio Baldi. Make a rez early.
We have a day and a half in Solvang/Los Olivos. Wife is getting a massage one afternoon, otherwise, food and wine I think are the plan. Will have to check out Hitching Post.

As for LA, I'd certainly prefer to minimize sitting in traffic and shuffling around. Santa Monica pier sounds like a nice idea (thanks @ScarletDave). I think staying closer to the beach/Santa Monica is a decent plan, but wouldn't be opposed to making our way to Beverly Hills or that type of area for a nice meal...I just don't really know what there is to do? Is there interesting Hollywood stuff to do (history of Hollywood/stuff to do) as opposed to just trying to catch a glimpse of Bruce Jenner...err...Caitlyn Jenner? Any museums worth seeing...whether LA specific or otherwise? Neat neighborhoods?

Thanks again.

JMC - I live in Solvang, if you need any help me know.

If you want, post your email address.

We have a day and a half in Solvang/Los Olivos. Wife is getting a massage one afternoon, otherwise, food and wine I think are the plan. Will have to check out Hitching Post.

As for LA, I'd certainly prefer to minimize sitting in traffic and shuffling around. Santa Monica pier sounds like a nice idea (thanks @ScarletDave). I think staying closer to the beach/Santa Monica is a decent plan, but wouldn't be opposed to making our way to Beverly Hills or that type of area for a nice meal...I just don't really know what there is to do? Is there interesting Hollywood stuff to do (history of Hollywood/stuff to do) as opposed to just trying to catch a glimpse of Bruce Jenner...err...Caitlyn Jenner? Any museums worth seeing...whether LA specific or otherwise? Neat neighborhoods?

Thanks again.
Univerrsal pictures is an all day thing but there are also tours of Warner brothers and Paramount 2-3 hours each/

If its a weekend, and you are in Santa Monica Venice beach is an all day street fair.

3 miles up the coast is the Getty Museum, In Malibu on the Ocean but its a small parking lot and you cannot park without an online reservation

If in Solvang you might want to see the Santa Barbara mission, Wine tastings at Fess Parker Doubletree hotel, dinner on Sternes Pier

In LA if you do love museums LACMA has 6 buildings with the LaBrea tar pits adjacent.
One more thought is the Getty Center . Built on a mountaintop with a 360 degree wrap view of
Los Angeles, Art museums and media centers as well as a pretty good cafeteria/ restaurant

Reactions: jmc11201
JMC - I live in Solvang, if you need any help me know.

If you want, post your email address.
I know i am hijacking but i need to say i love your town. My ex wife and son live in Hope Ranch and I make point to seeing Solvang and Santa Ynez on each visit

Reactions: RU22
I'm not a huge museum guy but easy drive from santa monica that is really cool is the Getty Villa (click on the words and this is NOT the Getty Center which is HUGE)--it's ancient greek and roman art in an amazing setting that is very SoCal

I believe you need a reservation so if interested check it . You can see it all in like 1.5-2 hours

Reactions: jmc11201 and RU22

Thanks again.

LACMA and the Getty are both great to see. I believe the Rain Room at LACMA should still be open. It's pretty cool. One of the hottest restaurants right now is Jon and Vinny's. It's not far from LACMA. And it's hot not because of the ambiance, but the food. So good. Make a rez pronto if you decide. It's a hard one. I would consider doing one of the tours. They are a few hours tops and will show you many cool areas.

Other options are The Grove in Hollywood, walking downtown Bev Hills, nice dinner options there are Cut, Mastros, Ceconnis in Weho, Cloe in WeHo, Tower Bar on Sunset, Cavatina in Sunset Marquis hotel (great spot to grab a drink after dinner).

Reactions: jmc11201 and RU22
Definitely understand the Getty Museum and Getty Center are two different museums. Both are great IMO.

The Griffith Observatory and surrounding area is neat. I also like Hollyhock House built by Frank Lloyd Wright, but with only two days, I'd make the two Gettys a priority.

You'll love Solvang. Restaurants, horse ranches, and great people. On the drive over the mountains and into Santa Barbara is breathtaking. Make sure to stop in Santa Barbara. Once in Santa Monica, if you go south on US 1 there are additional beach towns, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach. Both, have very lively beach activities. If you go North on US 1 there is Venice Beach, which has a very interesting board walk, it's like 42nd street on the beach. Get there early because parking is tough.
When we lived in that area, the saying was "there is no life West of US 1." So, have fun!

You'll love Solvang. Restaurants, horse ranches, and great people. On the drive over the mountains and into Santa Barbara is breathtaking. Make sure to stop in Santa Barbara. Once in Santa Monica, if you go south on US 1 there are additional beach towns, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach. Both, have very lively beach activities. If you go North on US 1 there is Venice Beach, which has a very interesting board walk, it's like 42nd street on the beach. Get there early because parking is tough.
When we lived in that area, the saying was "there is no life West of US 1." So, have fun!

Venice is just south of Santa Monica. If you go north, you would hit Pacific Palisades and Malibu. If you are going to hit beaches, I highly suggest going to Malibu.

Univerrsal pictures is an all day thing but there are also tours of Warner brothers and Paramount 2-3 hours each/

If its a weekend, and you are in Santa Monica Venice beach is an all day street fair.

3 miles up the coast is the Getty Museum, In Malibu on the Ocean but its a small parking lot and you cannot park without an online reservation

If in Solvang you might want to see the Santa Barbara mission, Wine tastings at Fess Parker Doubletree hotel, dinner on Sternes Pier

In LA if you do love museums LACMA has 6 buildings with the LaBrea tar pits adjacent.
One more thought is the Getty Center . Built on a mountaintop with a 360 degree wrap view of
Los Angeles, Art museums and media centers as well as a pretty good cafeteria/ restaurant
Love the Getty Center. And the Villa too. Even if you're not into museums, the Getty Center situated up on the hills above Brentwood is spectacular. Designed by starchitect Richard Meier, the travertine building literally glows in the sunset and the grounds give you a jaw dropping view of LA. It's worth a visit even if you never even step inside.

Venice is just south of Santa Monica. If you go north, you would hit Pacific Palisades and Malibu. If you are going to hit beaches, I highly suggest going to Malibu.
Opps, I stand corrected. It's been a while. But, you are right, south of Santa Monica. And, Malibu is also a great beach destination.

Did the RastaBus tour last December. Absolutely perfect. As well, being taken to the top of Griffith and dropped off and then picked up without hiking was great. Pick up in Santa Monica. Venice, Rodeo, Griffith, lunch market, And the Walk of Fame. Lets you see most of what people want to see.

Love the Getty Center. And the Villa too. Even if you're not into museums, the Getty Center situated up on the hills above Brentwood is spectacular. Designed by starchitect Richard Meier, the travertine building literally glows in the sunset and the grounds give you a jaw dropping view of LA. It's worth a visit even if you never even step inside.
I love the place but I must admit you drew a much more enticing description then I penned. very good job

If you are visiting Solvang for the weekend of October 7th to the 9th that coincides with the local harvest and wine festival. Many of the local wineries have their fall pick up parties. There is a large festival on October 8th: http://www.celebrationofharvest.com/festival.html

If you arrive at LAX in the morning you can take the PCH towards Santa Monica and tour the coast through Malibu and Point Mugu. Then continue north and pick up the 101 in Oxnard to get up toward Highway 246 for Buellton and Solvang. On the 101 you'll pass through Carpinteria and Santa Barbara.

If you only have a couple of days to visit I would stick to Santa Barbara county. Best coast and most access points. Lesser crowds too.

if you want really authentic Asian cuisine (all types including Taiwanese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc) the LA area is the best in the country only matched by the Bay Area.

If you are visiting Solvang for the weekend of October 7th to the 9th that coincides with the local harvest and wine festival. Many of the local wineries have their fall pick up parties. There is a large festival on October 8th: http://www.celebrationofharvest.com/festival.html

If you arrive at LAX in the morning you can take the PCH towards Santa Monica and tour the coast through Malibu and Point Mugu. Then continue north and pick up the 101 in Oxnard to get up toward Highway 246 for Buellton and Solvang. On the 101 you'll pass through Carpinteria and Santa Barbara.

If you only have a couple of days to visit I would stick to Santa Barbara county. Best coast and most access points. Lesser crowds too.
Someone mentioned the Santa Barbara Mission...might do lunch and the Mission the day we arrive and head up to Solvang mid-afternoon. Looked like the 101 was the quickest route there (405 to 101), then figure we would head to Santa Monica from Solvang and take Highway 1 (PCH?). Sort of a loop.

Someone mentioned the Santa Barbara Mission...might do lunch and the Mission the day we arrive and head up to Solvang mid-afternoon. Looked like the 101 was the quickest route there (405 to 101), then figure we would head to Santa Monica from Solvang and take Highway 1 (PCH?). Sort of a loop.

If possible, avoid the 405 and the 101. These highways see lots of traffic. Santa Monica is close to LAX so it may only be a 20 minute ride from the airport to the pier and nearby area. From there it is pretty nice drive north on the PCH past the Malibu Beach SP, Pepperdine University, Leo Carillo SP and Point Mugu SP. Malibu beach runs for 26 miles, but there are only few access points. The better beaches and views are past Ventura and continue on past Carpinteria and Santa Barbara. The drive is more relaxing when compared to the 405/101, especially if your in no rush to get to Solvang.

I love the place but I must admit you drew a much more enticing description then I penned. very good job
Thanks! Place left such an impression on me, I came home and clad my fireplace surround in split-cleft travertine and washed it with natural spectrum overhead light. Of course, notthe same thing!

ADVERTISEMENT