Votes: 14 4.6%

• Total voters

theRU

All American
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2008
Aliso Viejo, CA
no.. i'm not gonna rob you.

I want to clarify this a bit. When i ask if you carry cash, i'm asking if you regularly carry it. Not when you have your special trips to the strip club.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUSK97
Yes, only to use it when paying for things in NYC below a certain $ amount where they won't take credit, or for bars when I'm not running a tab. I have no interest in getting and accumulating change.

Reactions: RU22
I'm assuming it will be a generational thing. To take it a step further, I think in 15 -20 years we'll be asking "do you carry a credit card".

Reactions: MozRU
Yes. I was taught a long time ago regardless of credit cards, to always carry cash because "there are situations you can get yourself into that, well, call for cash and cash only."

I assume my father WASN'T talking about "hookers and blow."

Cash needed for barbers and other "service establishments" where credit cards are not accepted or would be reviewed by your significant other. [banana]

I'm assuming it will be a generational thing. To take it a step further, I think in 15 -20 years we'll be asking "do you carry a credit card".

Yeah, it seems this board is fascinated by age lately. People seem to believe things like credit card debt is a younger person's problem but the exact opposite is true from what I've seen. I'm glad that I'm the exception. Most years my single biggest expense paid by card is season tickets.

I haven't used my credit card in over two years (except for my Rutgers seats) and have never purchased anything over the internet. Have to go now,time to go out and kill something for dinner. Where the heck did I put my spear ?

Yeah, it seems this board is fascinated by age lately. People seem to believe things like credit card debt is a younger person's problem but the exact opposite is true from what I've seen. I'm glad that I'm the exception. Most years my single biggest expense paid by card is season tickets.
I think its important to understand the generational shifts in thinking as it can impact your ability to invest/make money.

The next generations will use their phones (or other device) to pay for everything. I personally look forward to the day when wallets are no longer necessary. I'd prefer to carry my phone and pull up my Drivers license, registration, insurance card, etc. as needed.

I carry cash but rarely use it. Almost everything I buy will be on a credit card.
Certainly I'm not putting a pack of gum on the card and you can't use credit cards
to buy lottery tickets.
2 weeks ago I found out that our local pizza changed their credit card processor and forgot to set it up to
allow tips to be put on a card. I complained to the owner, who knew how to make pizza and nothing else,
so now I have to leave a cash tip.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
i spent 20 years in management in the credit card business and I know what they do with all that data they collect on users and what can happen to someone who suffers from an identity theft. I have 1 credit card, no debit card and use cash for every purchase I can.

Reactions: LC-88
I think its important to understand the generational shifts in thinking as it can impact your ability to invest/make money.

The next generations will use their phones (or other device) to pay for everything. I personally look forward to the day when wallets are no longer necessary. I'd prefer to carry my phone and pull up my Drivers license, registration, insurance card, etc. as needed.

Yeah, I see a lot of that (not carrying a wallet) and yes, it's usually younger folks. I'm just so damn budget conscious and yet undiscipined I'd rather use cash. Makes me shy away from purchasing things I don't really need.

i only use my cards for emergencies... so yea i carry cash.. and knives cuz getting a firearm in jersey is a biotch cuz of the libs and their anti second amendment ways and all

I need to carry cash.
In order not to have my spending habits be scrutinized by the government, tech companies and media outlets, I have others pay for what I buy with their credit cards and pay them for it with the cash I'm carrying.
This way no one can track me because they see where I purchase something .
if-youre-not-crazy.png

Reactions: Leonard23
I always carry big greasy wads of cash. And it must be rolled in a rubber band like Lefty from Donnie Brasco.

And if you use your debit card for purchases costing less than 10 bucks at Wawa or Quick Check in Western Monmouth County, I'm coming for you.
The only thing I use my bank debit card is for ATM withdrawals because I hate to have to enter every transaction in my checkbook. I'd rather the purchase transactions to be
listed on my credit card statement to reconcile with the charge receipts.

Just eliminated my wallet last month. iphone case with two slots in back for four cards (1 License/1 Debit/1 Biz CC/1 Personal CC).

What a relief it is not to carry a wallet or billfold. Truth be told I fold a few $20 and place behind between case and phone for cash emergencies. Have yet to use.

Trying to use the Apple Pay more often. Unsure if it's more secure than chip-enabled CC, but it feels like it is with a finger print needed to pay. And the chip cards feel so much slower than swiping credit card or Apple Pay.

Reactions: theRU
The use of cash at bars is predominately a North East thing. If you go to a bar in other areas and toss down cash the bartenders know you are from this region. At the Rutgers games in Chapel Hill the only people that paid cash were RU fans. 100% of the locals run tabs and give up their cards. And some just leave at the end of the night and are charged a standard 18% and come get their card the next day....that was weird experience!

Always pay cash at bars. You will get better service. The bartenders know your tip is cash and don't have to declare as their is no paper trail. And they get paid that night. Some corporate places wait a week for them to get paid

I never carry cash now. I used to all the time. But my business has accounts everywhere so slowly carrying cash was unnecessary during the week and then that transitioned into weekends, and finally never. Plus I really don't have time to go out much with my business and farm. Actually the only time I do carry cash is for RU athletic events and fairs.

I haven't used my credit card in over two years (except for my Rutgers seats) and have never purchased anything over the internet. Have to go now,time to go out and kill something for dinner. Where the heck did I put my spear ?
Wait, what? You're the king of finding Rutgers gear of all kinds online, yet you 'have never purchased anything over the internet"?!? Does not compute...

Yes. I was taught a long time ago regardless of credit cards, to always carry cash because "there are situations you can get yourself into that, well, call for cash and cash only."

I assume my father WASN'T talking about "hookers and blow."
Same. I usually carry about $300 in twenties and ones. Hate using credit cards (except online). I tip with cash. My Dad used to buy his smokes with cash.

Never ever. Can't imagine a situation where I'd really need something and cash is only option. I ask my wife for cash when I want lotto tickets

Reactions: Leonard23
well you can lose your phone as easy as your wallet
thats not the point. I still carry a phone and can lose that at any time. If i lose a wallet with $200 in it. I'm out 200 bucks. If i lose a wallet with credit cards, i'm not out anything except the cost of the wallet.

Aside from buying gas, paying cash costs you more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT