ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UCONN returning to Big East, per report

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Good for their hoops program.

Football program to land in another conference or go independent per report. That’s not good for their football program, though.

If this is true, you can almost bet football ends up in the MAC. Wonder what would happen in the AAC (would lead to unbalanced divisions, etc).

Joe P.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
If this is true, you can almost bet football ends up in the MAC. Wonder what would happen in the AAC (would lead to unbalanced divisions, etc).

Joe P.
The AAC commissioner has recently floated the idea of doing away with divisions for football. Maybe he knew something was up.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
UConn football to MAC. JMU Football to AAC.
The AAC will have their pick of non P5 programs to fill the UConn slot. If they grab a winning program from the MWC or BYU it could be a real upgrade for football. UConn football was pitiful and without much hope of improving.

I wonder if it will be James Madison to the AAC? Or maybe them and other schools ? Old Dominion, UNC Charlotte, UTSA, Texas State, FAU, FIU,other possibilities. I wonder if Wichita State brings back football.

Anyone know what the fee will be that they have to pay the other AAC schools ?

Uconn will probably go Indy like Army.
Could see like App state,JMU,or Towson joing AAC.

This is a very good move for them, Many people here wondered why they didn't do this years ago.

Uconn football will most likely become independent for a few years and if that doesn't work out they can also drop to FCS and join a local conference in New England.

Smart move for UConn. Their hoops teams and Olympic sports were in serious danger of dying in the AAC. UConn football will end up in the MAC I bet. I'm thinking JMU and Army will be the Top 2 choices to replace UConn in the AAC.

I think Army and JMU will both get phone calls about joining the AAC.

Can’t see Army joining the AAC. They already tried the first version of it (C-USA) and they had a very tough time (though the program is in better shape now). I think they like (and know the benefits of) their independent scheduling formula and will stick with it...also notice how Navy has seemed to decline over the last few years once the AAC teams started getting used to the triple option.

Joe P.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Smart move for UConn. Their hoops teams and Olympic sports were in serious danger of dying in the AAC. UConn football will end up in the MAC I bet. I'm thinking JMU and Army will be the Top 2 choices to replace UConn in the AAC.

People keep saying MAC for some reason but I believe they only want all sports full members. They don't have any football only members and why on Earth would they make an exception for Uconn of all teams, the worst D1 football program? That doesn't make a lick of sense. But we will see I guess.

I'll preface this by stating I can't stand Uconn Athletics and their obnoxious fan base. I dislike Uconn more than any other school we've played past and present, and it's not even close.

That being said, a move back to the NBE would be a really smart strategic decision by Uconn, even though the old BE days are gone and the landscape is presently filled with small, religious, private schools. Uconn would go back to their roots and start again, football be damned.

I just can't see their football program joining any other conference and they'll need to figure out how to make this work as an Independent. They're not going to throw in the towel due to the sunk costs of building the football program.

Days like today make me so happy that we're in the B1G because we'd be facing similar decisions as Uconn. The current structure of the AAC is unrecognizable and one I would never want Rutgers to play in.

People keep saying MAC for some reason but I believe they only want all sports full members. They don't have any football only members and why on Earth would they make an exception for Uconn of all teams, the worst D1 football program? That doesn't make a lick of sense. But we will see I guess.

They had UMass recently for a while as a FB-only member (I think UMass also left on their own accord).

Joe P.

Rumor at the time was that MAC told UMass to join all sports or GTFO, and that UMass decided to GTFO.

...thanks for that tidbit; I thought that could have been the case but wasn’t sure.

Joe P.

I've been beating this drum forever. UConn is a basketball school in danger of losing their basketball identity. Get into a league with a basketball-first mentality. Sure, it's not like it was with Syracuse and BC in the ACC, but UConn, Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova ... it just fits there mentally, if not as a school.

And with Butler in, the religious thing is no longer universal, although private still is. But if the ACC can make it work, the A-10 can make it work, etc., so can the Big East. So much easier without football, too.

And yes, UMass got drummed out of the MAC for going with "leave it" in the "take it or leave it" as far as full membership goes. Connecticut will not drop to FCS now, but you see it coming down the road. They would be competitive with some of those schools and have built-in rivalries with UNH and UMaine. Eventually they will cut their losses, but for now too much has been invested to do that.

I'll preface this by stating I can't stand Uconn Athletics and their obnoxious fan base. I dislike Uconn more than any other school we've played past and present, and it's not even close.

That being said, a move back to the NBE would be a really smart strategic decision by Uconn, even though the old BE days are gone and the landscape is presently filled with small, religious, private schools. Uconn would go back to their roots and start again, football be damned.

I just can't see their football program joining any other conference and they'll need to figure out how to make this work as an Independent. They're not going to throw in the towel due to the sunk costs of building the football program.

Days like today make me so happy that we're in the B1G because we'd be facing similar decisions as Uconn. The current structure of the AAC is unrecognizable and one I would never want Rutgers to play in.
If we didn't get the B1G invite, I bet wouldve gone back to our roots and went FCS in the CAA or Patriot League...played Lehigh, UDel, Lafayette, etc. Thankfully we never will have to find out the answer to that question.

Congrats all all AAC Womens Basketball teams!

They finally have a realistic shot at winning the conference with UConn out.
...and thoughts and prayers for the BE ones...no more BE championships for you!

UConn will go independent and play a paycheck-game heavy schedule while they see if they get a lifeline from a G5 conference to play football only. If they don't, it's back to FCS land for them. What a waste of that tinkertoy project they call a stadium.

Reactions: mdh2003
UConn will go independent and play a paycheck-game heavy schedule while they see if they get a lifeline from a G5 conference to play football only. If they don't, it's back to FCS land for them. What a waste of that tinkertoy project they call a stadium.
Waste of CT taxpayer money building that stadium. The state is bleeding money and people are leaving the state in droves.

UConn leaving likely hurts Temple as well. They're a Northeast school on an island in a Midwest/Southeast G5 conference now.
Would like to see AAC invite UMass. Their football can’t be worse than UConn. Were once relevant in basketball and UMass - Temple has always been a rivalry. Also keeps a northeast prescence for the league. I’m sure AAC knew this was inevitable and have contingency plans in place

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Waste of CT taxpayer money building that stadium. The state is bleeding money and people are leaving the state in droves.
Was probably the reason they couldn't get into a power 5 conference. They didn't invest in their program and build a legit stadium ON campus.

F’ Puke-On! Jerk off douche bags.

Entire State contaminates my country. Build the Wall!

UConn leaving likely hurts Temple as well. They're a Northeast school on an island in a Midwest/Southeast G5 conference now.
Living down here now, a lot of people in this region identify with the Mid-Atlantic schools more than they do with New England schools James Madison or Old Dominion would probably bring as much interest to Temple football fans as UConn and would likely bring more fans to the Linc. Basketball, that is another story, that is a tough program to replace.

Best move for them and UConn still has a name
when it comes to MBB, but has been going down
for years. This might give that program a boost.

The UConn WBB program might also benefit, though they are one of the best now they're not considered unbeatable anymore and locks for the National Championship.

I expect UConn to wind up in the Patriot League in a few years after learning being an Independent FB Program costs more than it's worth to them

Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT