ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UNC Notice of Allegations

.... and we are surprised because ......?

No chance this would affect the primo programs at UNC.

I have little faith the NCAA will do much of anything against their MBB or FB teams. P5 schools pretty much free to violate any NCAA Bylaws with little consequence.

Whether it says it or not, just from my limited knowledge on the infractions, Infraction #4 is a men's basketball infraction, because the anomaly was with Men's Basketball enrollment in those classes.

I have been saying it all along - they will not hurt UNC mens basketball. They will all get off lightly probably due to extenuating circumstances.

I have been saying it all along - they will not hurt UNC mens basketball. They will all get off lightly probably due to extenuating circumstances.

I don't see how. This isn't improper benefits like giving someone free use of a car. This is academic fraud across the entire athletic department. It doesn't get much worse. Too many people are watching.

I'm going to guess the FB and Men's BB programs get a lot more than a slap on the wrist. Scholarship losses and multi year post season bans for multiple programs.

There is more to this, more than what UNC is releasing today, as on the surface "things" just don't add up.

UNC originally gets a 50-page NOA. Then UNC pulls a delay tactic by self-reporting additional violations, these new ones dealing with WBB and Men's Soccer. The NCAA then issues an Amended NOA of 13 pages, wiping out "Impermissible benefits" and eliminating Men's BB and FB by name, as previously identified in the original NOA.

This ANOA stills lists five Level One infractions including LOIC. But something's missing. I think we need to stay tuned for the details, beyond what UNC releases. Could be legal action underway in Indy that strips MBB and FB from this doc by name, as the NCAA and UNC may have already begun negotiating sanctions?

More to come. We shall see.

UNC Recruiting rankings

2017 Football #11

2016 Mens basketball #11

These programs are stronger than ever. Untouchable. What is the last P5 to get major sanctions?

Knight fan, RUich, I want you to be right but I am a skeptic on this issue and I will believe it when I see it. I honestly believe the NCAA is trying desperately to figure out how to look tough on this but really do as little as possible

What an incredible lack of integrity by the supposed governing body.

If academic fraud is not considered a serious violation, then there is no common sense left. Given that it appears to have STARTED with these programs, it is amazing the willingness to sweep it under the rug.

And how, as the governing body, do you not see their behavior as an affront to your authority where you wouldn't want to send a very strong message? I don't buy the UNC basketball dollars, because if rules are broken, and there is a temporary punishment, another team would fill that TV slot/NCAA slot, as long as the game is competitive it'll sell.

No honor among thieves, I guess.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
What an incredible lack of integrity by the supposed governing body.

If academic fraud is not considered a serious violation, then there is no common sense left. Given that it appears to have STARTED with these programs, it is amazing the willingness to sweep it under the rug.

And how, as the governing body, do you not see their behavior as an affront to your authority where you wouldn't want to send a very strong message? I don't buy the UNC basketball dollars, because if rules are broken, and there is a temporary punishment, another team would fill that TV slot/NCAA slot, as long as the game is competitive it'll sell.

No honor among thieves, I guess.

Ever consider that officials with the NCAA are on the take? Perhaps the one that should be investigated is the NCAA.

Reactions: miker183
I have to bump this thread. This is the biggest college sports story maybe ever.

my question is : what are we teaching our youth and society as a whole if Carolina gets off the hook here?
I don't want a lawyer-run society where everyone is looking for loop-holes in an effort to circumvent the rules- that's horrible

I have to bump this thread. This is the biggest college sports story maybe ever.

my question is : what are we teaching our youth and society as a whole if Carolina gets off the hook here?
I don't want a lawyer-run society where everyone is looking for loop-holes in an effort to circumvent the rules- that's horrible

If NC'state woman's basketball team is thrown out as the sacrificial lamb with no further implications, it is not reflective of a society run by lawyers but rather a society run by graft.

Reactions: Abro1975
...so UNC bball and FB will likely skate on by? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. It's quite obvious that people would network to create a systematic method of cheating decades in the making for the lower-profile, non-profit sports.

Joe P.

I haven't been keeping up with this story lately, but what possibly could the logic be for letting football and men's basketball off if those programs were involved with the academic fraud? Also, if those programs were named in the original NOA, what could have possibly changed in the past year that would have altered that outcome? Granted, the NCAA is the most screwed up and ineffective governing body I have ever seen, but this just doesn't make sense, even by their standards. Would love for someone more knowledgeable on the subject to help break this down.

Quite frankly, this result would teach our youth the reality of society as a whole, as it has been for a very long time. Basically, old money, and well settled establishments are very, very difficult to unseat, regardless of how much advantage they take of the rest of us.

Reactions: ruready07
If they get off the hook then it is time for the NCAA to be dismantled.

The Gov should look into doing just that.

If they get off the hook then it is time for the NCAA to be dismantled.

The Gov should look into doing just that.

Then we'd have a very different looking collegiate sports environment . The ncaa, as poorly as they have handled some situations, has actually worked wonders in keeping things under control for as long as they have.

Really what's the big deal? UNC didn't bother trying to educate guys that didn't want to be educated anyway. They wanted to win and keep guys eligible .
The one-and -done kids at other places don't bother going to classes second semester . Let those kids that left unc come back for a free 'education ' if they want

I haven't been keeping up with this story lately, but what possibly could the logic be for letting football and men's basketball off if those programs were involved with the academic fraud? Also, if those programs were named in the original NOA, what could have possibly changed in the past year that would have altered that outcome? Granted, the NCAA is the most screwed up and ineffective governing body I have ever seen, but this just doesn't make sense, even by their standards. Would love for someone more knowledgeable on the subject to help break this down.

They aren't necessarily getting off. The Committee on Infractions can make a running on its findings, regardless of which sports were specifically named in the NOA. The infractions themselves are still there.

They aren't necessarily getting off. The Committee on Infractions can make a running on its findings, regardless of which sports were specifically named in the NOA. The infractions themselves are still there.

True, but the question is will the NCAA actually follow through against one of their 'name brand' schools if the evidence is staring them in the face?...or will they pull a SWAT team raid on the person making photocopies of nickels in their basement while the guy counterfeiting $100's in the other room 'magically' goes unnoticed?

Joe P.

Reactions: Ridge 22
Really what's the big deal? UNC didn't bother trying to educate guys that didn't want to be educated anyway. They wanted to win and keep guys eligible .
The one-and -done kids at other places don't bother going to classes second semester . Let those kids that left unc come back for a free 'education ' if they want

You do understand that there's a difference between the negligence of an individual college athlete in the choices he or she makes vs on-going/long standing institutional fraud?

You do understand that there's a difference between the negligence of an individual college athlete in the choices he or she makes vs on-going/long standing institutional fraud?

Yes . Do you understand the whole system is fraudulent and is very corrupt ?
Just enjoy the games and hope Rutgers does everything it can to win

I'm telling you unc charlotte is ****ed!!

This is like US policy: Ready (Iran):thumbsdown:, AIM (IRAN):gun:..... FIRE (IRAQ) :airplane::airplane::airplane::airplane::bomb::boom::fire::boom::boom::fire::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::fire::boom::boom::gun::gun::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::fistbump:! :airplane::airplane::airplane::airplane:~

MO

Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
ADVERTISEMENT