ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UNC Scandal Update... August 16 is On

RUinPinehurst

All American
Aug 27, 2011
NCAA confirms that their COI will meet on August 16 to deal with UNC's misdeeds. A large cast of Tar Heel characters were "invited" including AD Bubba, Ol' Roy, and Larry the Hat.

In short, the NCAA announced to UNC that the school's academic improprieties benefitting athletics "is" the NCAA's business, countering UNC's claim that the NCAA has no jurisdiction in its academic affairs.

Linky: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-maintains-ncaa-overreach-in-latest-ncaa-response/16840516/

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I still remain hopeful some significant penalties will be handed down. I do like the strong and clear wording in multiple instances of the ncaa's response that were shared in the above article.
As always, thanks for posting updates on this topic RUinPinehurst.

Good article, thanks Pinehurst. There won't be a sympathetic ear on the NCAA's part in that room. Just from the wording you can tell the NCAA is fed up and pissed off. They've played their game of stall tactics for 8 years. I think this is what a lot of people fail to understand, it was UNC who purposely stalled this process not the NCAA dragging it's feet. The NCAA had no choice but to follow protocol.

Reactions: tico brown
Bubba, the UNC AD said:
“Is this academic fraud? Yes, it is by a normal person’s standard. But not by the NCAA’s definition.”

NCAA Should respond:
cebdc109abd405660566ba24b3306b06--sanford-and-son-funny-inspirational-quotes.jpg
1453605814-53669298.jpg

If the NCAA comes down hard on Tar Heel Men's Basketball. you can bet their find the opposition as strong as Penn St's was and look for a way to let the NC MBB program off the hook.
Penn St's actions concerning Sandusky compared to academic fraud at NC might be totally different, but bet the NC fanbase ( on its own wink / wink)
will descend on the NCAA like the outrage Penn St cult members did and force the NCAA look for a way out , like they did when removing the sanctions they gave PSU .

I agree with Feinstein's article, though I despise him as a person. Let's also not forget that he is a Duke graduate. I wonder what he would have written if this occurred to his beloved Dookies.

Reactions: daneman100
I think some people need to understand yhat PSU's situation was not in any way a violation that provided a competative advantage but one that was in violation thr law/legal system. NC violation is one relating to providing a competative advantage and definitely comes under the juristication of the NCAA and neefs to be harshly dealt with just like PSU needed to be harshly dealt with by our legal system. This is where PSU gets off the hook as far as any athletic sanctions. UNC needs to be dealt with to the fullest extent as far any penalty the NCAA can impose and implement. Basically the school cheated and/or permitted it to continue.

Exactly. Penn State's crime was far more horrific, but it didn't give them a competitive advantage. The NCAA needs to hammer schools that do two things:

1. Pay players or recruits (or their families)
2. Allow kids to have eligibility when they do not fulfill academic requirements.

The UNC example is a pattern of repeated behavior that took place over several years. The school needs to be severely penalized.

Scarlet Jerry

Exactly. Penn State's crime was far more horrific, but it didn't give them a competitive advantage. The NCAA needs to hammer schools that do two things:

2. Allow kids to have eligibility when they do not fulfill academic requirements.

The UNC example is a pattern of repeated behavior that took place over several DECADES!! The school needs to be severely penalized.

Scarlet Jerry

FIFY

The UNC example is a pattern of repeated behavior that took place over several years. The school needs to be severely penalized.

Scarlet Jerry

Jerry - #1 - The NCAA allows players families to be paid as much as they can get. They allowed Cam Newton's uncle to receive $180,000. Following a 2 day investigation the NCAA said that the player did not receive any money directl and it was fine. This set precedence for all other programs. Newton spent one fall semester at Auburn.

PSU's didn't give them a 'competitive advantage'? I'd say trying to hide all that stuff for years to not disrupt their football operations certainly gave them some type of advantage. It's a lot easier to conduct your business when you don't have to explain the occurrence of horrific crimes a member of your staff committed against children.

Joe P.

PSU's didn't give them a 'competitive advantage'? I'd say trying to hide all that stuff for years to not disrupt their football operations certainly gave them some type of advantage. It's a lot easier to conduct your business when you don't have to explain the occurrence of horrific crimes a member of your staff committed against children.

Joe P.
If Sandusky was allowed to talk to recruits as their Coach Emeritus/ retired DC while Penn St was covering up his actions, that should have been considered giving Penn St a recruiting advantage if he talked to them about committing to Penn St.
I'm not one that feels the NCAA didn't have jurisdiction, but did because of Penn St trying to maintain a recruiting advantage by covering up for Sandusky so the HC and football program's image wouldn't suffer.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Isn't this where the tired saying of directional (insert college) is in big trouble?

Prediction- UNC will win another basketball championship while the NCAA does nothing other than give them their trophy before anything gets done.

they'll lose a few scholarships (not enough to matter), have to forfeit some wins (totally meaningless), will pay some de minimis fine (pocket change), and will have to write-up some report (which they'll just pay a lawyer to do)....

They'll whine as a group how completely unfair the process was and that they didn't do anything wrong.... and will be on their way....

Reactions: tico brown
If the NCAA wants to make a statement that decades of phony classes isn't tolerated, they should impose a 4 year post season tourny/Bowl ban for all Sports for 4 years.

Reactions: JoeRU0304 and RU62
Unfortunately SoCal you just may be correct. So far how things have played out UNC has not been hurt in any way. Needless to say we all will be waiting to see what happens on August 16. One gets the feeling that the NCAA seems to be afraid of imposing any penalties similar to what was done to SMU.

...but did because of Penn St trying to maintain a recruiting advantage by covering up for Sandusky so the HC and football program's image wouldn't suffer.

Well-stated. It's similar to someone applying for a job at a bank and not disclosing they were convicted for felony embezzlement and money laundering.

Joe P.

Joe P.
Totally agree..............the fact those weirdos covered up child rape so it didn't tarnish it's football program. Was absolutely done to continue the success of their football team.

ADVERTISEMENT