ADVERTISEMENT

OT UNC WBB coach Hatchell resigns

The personality of the contemporary student-athlete.

It's an interesting question: has the RUWBB program never fully recovered from CVS's seeming inability to figure out how to handle the "fab five" of 2008? Locking them out of the locker room? Turning natural shooters into perimeter passers (until the clock ran down to a desperate rush shot)? Disdain for the 3-point shot so that every coach in the country knew to play a tight zone against RU?

It actually wasn't until she brought in some "outside" assistants (instead of all-CVS-history assistants) that offense started to change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarletwoman
It's a new age in the way HCs and assistants can act and are held accountable.
What might have been commonplace years ago and deemed part of getting a team ready , isn't acceptable now.
Even if an action taken by a coach wasn't intended to be the way it looked, the way it looks is what counts when assessing a coaches actions verbally or physically.

The personality of the contemporary student-athlete.

It's an interesting question: has the RUWBB program never fully recovered from CVS's seeming inability to figure out how to handle the "fab five" of 2008? Locking them out of the locker room? Turning natural shooters into perimeter passers (until the clock ran down to a desperate rush shot)? Disdain for the 3-point shot so that every coach in the country knew to play a tight zone against RU?

It actually wasn't until she brought in some "outside" assistants (instead of all-CVS-history assistants) that offense started to change.
Yes regarding the issues of the fab five being a major factor. However, and I will not discuss details that I have heard over the years, I do not think your litany of issues has anything - at all, really - to do with what those issues were. I think, at least simplistically, that Viv and her staff share some blame for accepting students that were not a good fit for her program.

I don't think it is fair to say that CVS disdained the 3 point shot - those players in that group played with B Ray, who, IIRC, hit a pretty fair number of 3 point shots.

Reactions: LtCol144
I guess some people continue to rehash tired themes that are demonstrably contrary to fact. Please provide recordings or direct quotations that indicate disdain for the 3-point shot by RU coaching staff. What a crock. Remember that the 5-AA class followed the FF team that made the championship game by raining threes on LSU, and the FF team were the ones temporarily evicted from the locker room. RU made the Elite Eight and the Sweet Sixteen in 2008 and 2009, respectively. Article from NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/31/sports/ncaabasketball/31rutgers.html class

There is no disdain for three-point shooters. There is a strong desire for distance shooters who are not major liabilities on defense. There is a recognition that, at times, team composition makes a style that emphasizes mid-range jumpers and transition basketball the preferred option (think Scaife). Please remember that self-discipline seemed to be an issue with some players during the few years that followed the good runs in the NCAAT. I remember a press conference during which Khadijah Rushdan's frustration that some of her team mates simply did not put in the needed work came through, "It doesn't have to be that way!" (pretty sure that is close to verbatim, as it really stuck with me).

RU WBB teams have ranged from top of the heap to poor, all under the same head coach. That simple observation suggests that many factors contribute to success on the court. Some are out of the control of coaching staff, and others require adaptation.

Last edited:
I guess some people continue to rehash tired themes that are demonstrably contrary to fact. Please provide recordings or direct quotations that indicate disdain for the 3-point shot by RU coaching staff. What a crock. Remember that the 5-AA class followed the FF team that made the championship game by raining threes on LSU, and the FF team were the ones temporarily evicted from the locker room. RU made the Elite Eight and the Sweet Sixteen in 2008 and 2009, respectively. Article from NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/31/sports/ncaabasketball/31rutgers.html class

There is no disdain for three-point shooters. There is a strong desire for distance shooters who are not major liabilities on defense. There is a recognition that, at times, team composition makes a style that emphasizes mid-range jumpers and transition basketball the preferred option (think Scaife). Please remember that self-discipline seemed to be an issue with some players during the few years that followed the good runs in the NCAAT. I remember a press conference during which Khadijah Rushdan's frustration that some of her team mates simply did not put in the needed work came through, "It doesn't have to be that way!" (pretty sure that is close to verbatim, as it really stuck with me).

RU WBB teams have ranged from top of the heap to poor, all under the same head coach. That simple observation suggests that many factors contribute to success on the court. Some are out of the control of coaching staff, and others require adaptation.
Well stated, putting events in perspective. A balanced view from an objective fan.
Others come across with a special glee to accent the negative, seldom around with that same enthusiasm to share in the teams successes.
Success doesn't come easy or naturally, not to be taken for granted. An occasion for celebration when it occurs.

I think, at least simplistically, that Viv and her staff share some blame for accepting students that were not a good fit for her program.

This always has been my view, broadly speaking - after the 2007 Final Four, CVS found herself getting opportunities for recruits who wouldn't have looked at RU before, and ended up choosing some of the wrong people as a result. In a lot of ways, having to work hard to get players probably was to the team's benefit - the ones who came were totally bought in. (I always think of the story of Heather Zurich, who moved from her natural position as a 3 to the 4 because CVS told her that was how she was going to get to play, which was a huge commitment to the team.)

I'm actually kind of surprised Hatchell lasted this long. Between the academic scandal (where a lot of people thought she would be sacrificial lamb), the team's decline in recent years, and the many stories about somewhat homophobic recruiting, she's been on the edge for a while.

This always has been my view, broadly speaking - after the 2007 Final Four, CVS found herself getting opportunities for recruits who wouldn't have looked at RU before, and ended up choosing some of the wrong people as a result. In a lot of ways, having to work hard to get players probably was to the team's benefit - the ones who came were totally bought in. (I always think of the story of Heather Zurich, who moved from her natural position as a 3 to the 4 because CVS told her that was how she was going to get to play, which was a huge commitment to the team.)

I'm actually kind of surprised Hatchell lasted this long. Between the academic scandal (where a lot of people thought she would be sacrificial lamb), the team's decline in recent years, and the many stories about somewhat homophobic recruiting, she's been on the edge for a while.
North Carolina might be right in letting Hatchell go because of this investigation, but I'm sure they are more than willing to sacrifice her to make themselves look good.

It's just she was sacrificed later than planned, because she wasn't needed to be used as a scapegoat because nothing came out of the academic scandal there that required one.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Props to her and her restraint message on her way out...I would have told UNC to shove it up it’s institutional ass...
Some know how to leave with class, even if not treated as good on the way out as the time put in should have brought forth .
I'm glad she was allowed to resign , remember Sylvia Hatchell was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in 2013 Slvia took a leave of absence for the 2013-14 season to fight that disease, returning to the bench for the 2014-15 season with it in remission.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT