ADVERTISEMENT

OT: University of Chicago letter on free speech to incoming freshmen

mdk01

Hall of Famer
Aug 18, 2011
Hell has frozen over

Screen-Shot-2016-08-25-at-8.03.58-AM.jpg

U of C is an amazing institution. My daughter is a graduate of the college. I believe it has about 5000 undergrads and 12,000 graduate students. It is known as the school where "Fun went to die." I would recommend it for any student who wants an intense educational experience that is extremely broad.

Students at the time my daughter was there were required to take eighteen courses in different disciplines called the "Core". She ultimately majored in Anthropology, but took three courses in Astro Physics, two courses in Biology, and three advanced math courses. Ironically, they did not offer an accounting course at the undergraduate level at that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManasquanMike
I was expecting to roll my eyes when I read that, but was pleasantly surprised. That school will do a service to their students by allowing them to engage in debate and learn about themselves and others.

Reactions: scarletjimmy
I like the way U Chicago handled it's recent wave or protests with a heavy hand.. much better than a lot of other places. You have to allow free expression, but you also have to maintain some order.

However I think just poo pooing safe spaces and trigger warnings is foolish. Just because we didn't have them as kids doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose. The world has changed a lot over the last 30 years and kids face a lot of different pressures than we did. Acknowledging that isn't the same as coddling.

Why would you guess that when you don't know anything about me or them, other than making a random d-bag comment? If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all, OK?
I think he was talking about the people in the pictures you posted, not your sons.

Can you elaborate on different pressures? Thanks.
I'm no psychologist, but the way I read it is that despite having led more 'comfortable' lives, teens these days appear to have greater stress levels, potentially brought on by higher expectations, less 'childlike' childhoods, the pressures of social media, faster pace lifestyle, etc... The idea that educational institutions would explore new ways to reduce stress does not seem crazy to me.

However I think just poo pooing safe spaces and trigger warnings is foolish. Just because we didn't have them as kids doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose. The world has changed a lot over the last 30 years and kids face a lot of different pressures than we did. Acknowledging that isn't the same as coddling.
Uh... what different pressures do kids face today that kids didn't face 30 years ago, insofar as safe spaces and trigger warnings go?

Young people today will, in somewhere between 15-30 years or so, face a world where technological advancements far outpace changes to political, economic and social policy and infrastructure. And nobody really knows for sure how that will play out (other than that it will be uncomfortable for everyone).

But other than that, I'm not seeing how things are any different socially than 30 years ago in terms of pressures on kids.

I'm no psychologist, but the way I read it is that despite having led more 'comfortable' lives, teens these days appear to have greater stress levels, potentially brought on by higher expectations, less 'childlike' childhoods, the pressures of social media, faster pace lifestyle, etc... The idea that educational institutions would explore new ways to reduce stress does not seem crazy to me.
Institutions should not reduce stress. They should ramp up the stress while providing education and training on how to adapt and survive in a stressful world before kids leave school and enter that world.

Reactions: RUScrew85 and dvb91
Looks to me to be a very sober approach. To some of you, it legitimizes hate speech.

Trigger and Safe Space
K. Misunderstood you at first. Chicago has very low (single digit) admissions, so nobody will have an easy time gaining admission. I knew from their legal scholarship that they leaned on the more conservative side, but I am thoroughly impressed with their stand on promoting free thought and debate, something that seems to be disappearing in the University atmosphere.

I like the way U Chicago handled it's recent wave or protests with a heavy hand.. much better than a lot of other places. You have to allow free expression, but you also have to maintain some order.

I believe like most things that start off with good intentions it has now taken on a life of it's own. When something is subject to such wide ranging interpretation it is ripe for the type of abuse we've seen on many campuses recently. In my humble opinion this does the individual and society in general absolutely no good.

K. Misunderstood you at first. Chicago has very low (single digit) admissions, so nobody will have an easy time gaining admission. I knew from their legal scholarship that they leaned on the more conservative side, but I am thoroughly impressed with their stand on promoting free thought and debate, something that seems to be disappearing in the University atmosphere.

My Dad did some fund raising consulting for them in the 60's so trust me, I'm aware of how good they are academically.

Finally some sanity, I hope Rutgers send the same letter to all students.

I don't think RU has the balls...they pretty much forced Condi Rice to say "f*** it" never mind because some self-important academics disagreed with her Bush years...but would probably have no issues with people the right finds equally reprehensible. Free thought my ass...academia has become a cesspool of intolerant bullshit...ironic coming from the supposedly open-minded!

Just heard on the news 400+ students are holding a sit in outside the dean's home. they are asking for a resignation

I don't think RU has the balls...they pretty much forced Condi Rice to say "f*** it" never mind because some self-important academics disagreed with her Bush years...but would probably have no issues with people the right finds equally reprehensible. Free thought my ass...academia has become a cesspool of intolerant bullshit...ironic coming from the supposedly open-minded!
Liberals are all for frredo of thought provided they agree with what you are saying. Liberal fascism!

Safe spaces mean you can't handle listening to the other side of an argument, because everyone who disagrees with you is a racist, homophobic, xenophobic, islamophibic, sexist bigot. It has nothing to do with reducing stress for students, it's to censor opposing viewpoints from their little impressionable minds

Safe spaces mean you can't handle listening to the other side of an argument, because everyone who disagrees with you is a racist, homophobic, xenophobic, islamophibic, sexist bigot. It has nothing to do with reducing stress for students, it's to censor opposing viewpoints from their little impressionable minds

Time to get political. The above is exactly how the "we know what is best for you" nanny state crowd and the liberal leaning media portrays anyone that takes issue with anyone that is anti-Hillary.

Just heard on the news 400+ students are holding a sit in outside the dean's home. they are asking for a resignation

400? Out of about 16,000 undergrad and grad students? Whoop-dee-freakin'-doo-dah!

KUDOS to you Dean of Admissions AND The University of Chicago!

Reactions: scarletjimmy
For a long while, I dated a woman who had gone to U of C undergraduate and then graduated from its law school. She was too smart for me! I would get cross-examined whenever I even faintly went off course.

Reactions: NickyNewark51

why on earth would a student need a safe space or a trigger warning

Reactions: NickyNewark51
I knew from their legal scholarship that they leaned on the more conservative side, but I am thoroughly impressed with their stand on promoting free thought and debate, something that seems to be disappearing in the University atmosphere.

I agree!

U of C is an amazing institution. My daughter is a graduate of the college. I believe it has about 5000 undergrads and 12,000 graduate students. It is known as the school where "Fun went to die." I would recommend it for any student who wants an intense educational experience that is extremely broad.

Students at the time my daughter was there were required to take eighteen courses in different disciplines called the "Core". She ultimately majored in Anthropology, but took three courses in Astro Physics, two courses in Biology, and three advanced math courses. Ironically, they did not offer an accounting course at the undergraduate level at that time.
My 1st cousin received an academic scholly there in 73.....he was number 1 in his class at Barringer,Newark...

Call me friggin old, out of touch or stupid but what the hell is a "trigger warning"? Anyone please explain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT