All American
May 4, 2003
Here is my prediction for our 2022 team;

Sargent

Pulisic Weah Reyna

Adams Mckennie

Dest Brooks Long Robinson

Steffen

Others: Morris is right there if Weah doesn’t progress. Chris Richard has a shot too. I also like Pomkayl and Cannon.

Thoughts?

Here is my prediction for our 2022 team;

Sargent

Pulisic Weah Reyna

Adams Mckennie

Dest Brooks Long Robinson

Steffen

Others: Morris is right there if Weah doesn’t progress. Chris Richard has a shot too. I also like Pomkayl and Cannon.

Thoughts?
Agree that Yedlin will probably make his way on the team. Pulisic/Weah/Reyna would be the most exciting group of young attackers we've had maybe ever - very young and inexperienced but speed and creativity that's been missing for a long time. Zardes would be better off the bench, if at all. Whatever happened to Bobby Wood and Geoff Cameron? Wood always seemed to play well for US and Cameron is getting a little long in the tooth but is a big physical presence.

Bobby Wood has been struggling with his club career, but I agree he always contributed on the NT. I always liked his game for the team.

Reyna is going to be a stud player.

Kid has speed, creativity, high soccer IQ and leg.

He just needs to get stronger and that will come over time. He has a Cristian Ronaldo type frame.

GO RU

Reactions: cicero grimes
We probably have the most knowledgeable soccer fan base of any college football forum.
I like the initial lineup posted...I do think veteran Tim Ream will be in the mix for our defense...some people believe this is a real problem for our team if he is but I disagree...I think he is steadier than he is given credit for...also think Yedlin will be in the mix also for our defense...

Agree that Yedlin will probably make his way on the team. Pulisic/Weah/Reyna would be the most exciting group of young attackers we've had maybe ever - very young and inexperienced but speed and creativity that's been missing for a long time. Zardes would be better off the bench, if at all. Whatever happened to Bobby Wood and Geoff Cameron? Wood always seemed to play well for US and Cameron is getting a little long in the tooth but is a big physical presence.
I don't think you have to qualify it. Those three are the most exciting we've had. Now is it enough to make noise at a WC? Maybe.

Reyna is going to be a stud player.

Kid has speed, creativity, high soccer IQ and leg.

He just needs to get stronger and that will come over time. He has a Cristian Ronaldo type frame.

GO RU

I saw him in the NYCFC youth system, and you could see the skill, but he was far smaller and more lean than I recalled his father being - who I had never watched at St. Benedicts or UVA, and had only seen as an adult. Then I saw Gio play again live last summer and he had gone through that spurt that guys his age do, and I was shocked it was the same person. When he's fully grown, he's going to be a hell of a player.

Reactions: satnom
So the Michael Bradley era is over. Sort of reminds me of how I felt when the Gary Nova era ended for RU football, that there has to be better results with someone else leading the way.

So the Michael Bradley era is over. Sort of reminds me of how I felt when the Gary Nova era ended for RU football, that there has to be better results with someone else leading the way.
bradley is a perfectly fine player to have on the bench to bring on when you are up and need to kill the last 20 mins of a game

Like Rutgers Football, the USMNT doesn’t even have to * WIN to get all the stuff that comes along with it. They just have to win or even WIN...

* bold intentional

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
No Bradley is not needed near the squad now.

Last edited:
2026 will be the best team in US history. Pulisic, Reyna, Dest and Weah could be legitimate world class players. Tyler Adams, McKennie are right there as well. The future is extremely bright and by 2026 new names will emerge to go with those top 6. We could have a crazy good team.

We probably have the most knowledgeable soccer fan base of any college football forum.
I like the initial lineup posted...I do think veteran Tim Ream will be in the mix for our defense...some people believe this is a real problem for our team if he is but I disagree...I think he is steadier than he is given credit for...also think Yedlin will be in the mix also for our defense...

I agree.
Who do you think will start in goal? Shep Messing or does Tony Meola have a chance to beat him out?

2026 will be the best team in US history. Pulisic, Reyna, Dest and Weah could be legitimate world class players. Tyler Adams, McKennie are right there as well. The future is extremely bright and by 2026 new names will emerge to go with those top 6. We could have a crazy good team.
Adams and mckennie are miles ahead of weah, imo at least.

The team will certainly have technical ability and creativity absolutely. I do not have confidence in Berhalter.

To me what is lacking is the fire. These kids may be very competitive but Americans probably more than others I need to have the attitude - the chip on the shoulder. That is what helped the 2002 team achieve beyond expectations and has not been replicated. Need leadership (and some arrogance) like Donovan.

The team will certainly have technical ability and creativity absolutely. I do not have confidence in Berhalter.

To me what is lacking is the fire. These kids may be very competitive but Americans probably more than others I need to have the attitude - the chip on the shoulder. That is what helped the 2002 team achieve beyond expectations and has not been replicated. Need leadership (and some arrogance) like Donovan.
Mckennie and Adams have the fire. They will be workhorses in the center of the park for years to come. Pulisic, Reyna, and Weah have the talent to be devastating going forward. That pace and creativity is what we’ve always lacked. Sargent has the poacher’s mentality, reminds me of McBride. Dest will be a good (at the very least) right back. CB is where we may have issues, but Brooks is solid and only 27. Need someone else to pan out, was hoping for Miazga or Carter-Vickers but time’s a ticking. Steffen or Horvath should be serviceable in net, both only 25.

Maybe the US can lure Jurgen Klopp to coach the national team. He seems to like challenges.
there are a number of managers with bundesliga legacies that i would have preferred over berhalter. i don't understand the faction that insists on having an american coach...it's pretty clear that doing it our way hasn't gotten us to where we want to be. besides, much of our talent is already in the bundesliga, so playing in a german derived system won't be anything new.

Adams and mckennie are miles ahead of weah, imo at least.
I agree. They are at this point and I think they are top top players. Guys that will play at top clubs. I just think that Weah is super special. Can he live up to it? We will see but he has a ceiling of being a top 5-10 forward in the world. Same with Pulisic and Reyna in the wings or in the midfield.

Reactions: Loyal-Son and RU23
Wanted to post yesterday but forgot.

Puli has been putting on a clinic in Prem since Project Re-Start. He's been world class.

Reactions: brad1218
With the strength of soccer in New Jersey, it’s a crime our men’s team isn’t a perennial elite 8 team like the carolina and California schools. Our women’s team has found the formula in the talent-rich state, the US women’s team last World Cup had like 4 players from NJ

With the strength of soccer in New Jersey, it’s a crime our men’s team isn’t a perennial elite 8 team like the carolina and California schools. Our women’s team has found the formula in the talent-rich state, the US women’s team last World Cup had like 4 players from NJ
Like anything else it starts with the “chemist” who knows what to do. We see success here (Wrestling, MBB, WSOC, Field Hockey) when the right person is in charge.

Wanted to post yesterday but forgot.

Puli has been putting on a clinic in Prem since Project Re-Start. He's been world class.
I have watched every game since the re-start and Pulisic looks like one of the best players in the world. Every time he touches the ball is exciting. He is so fast and has such great balance and touch. For the US this means we actually have a chance to put together a team that can win it all built around him. I am not saying we will do it. There are still a lot of if’s, but it is actually possible now. We need Dortmund to sell Sancho so that Reyna can step in and start next season. Weah to have an injury free season and Adams to continue to develop.

I have watched every game since the re-start and Pulisic looks like one of the best players in the world. Every time he touches the ball is exciting. He is so fast and has such great balance and touch. For the US this means we actually have a chance to put together a team that can win it all built around him. I am not saying we will do it. There are still a lot of if’s, but it is actually possible now. We need Dortmund to sell Sancho so that Reyna can step in and start next season. Weah to have an injury free season and Adams to continue to develop.

Even if Sancho stays at Dortmund Reyna will have his time to shine I am not too concerned about that.

ADVERTISEMENT