ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US Open

knightfan7

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2003
Manasquan, NJ
Starts tomorrow at Torrey Pines. Who ya got?

William Hill has Dustin Johnson favored at 10-1, Jon Rahm at 11-1, and Rory McIlroy 12-1.

Starts tomorrow at Torrey Pines. Who ya got?

William Hill has Dustin Johnson favored at 10-1, Jon Rahm at 11-1, and Rory McIlroy 12-1.
I've been waiting for a US Open thread! Thanks for starting one. Im guessing Rahm has tested negative? It amazing they got the rough up without rain.

I've been waiting for a US Open thread! Thanks for starting one. Im guessing Rahm has tested negative? It amazing they got the rough up without rain.
They've been talking about the rough around the greens all week. Someone on TV said the spotters better be alert because you could have trouble finding balls 4-5' off the putting surface in places lol.

Reactions: WhiteBus
They've been talking about the rough around the greens all week. Someone on TV said the spotters better be alert because you could have trouble finding balls 4-5' off the putting surface in places lol.
Which is crazy, not for an Open but for the conditions in San Diego. Driving is less of a premium, hitting the greens is the key. Amazing another public course is hosting a major. Who you got?

Rahm is the favorite in my mind. Something tells me Oosthuizen is gonna be right there. Sleeper pick — Scottie Scheffler.

Reactions: knightfan7
Which is crazy, not for an Open but for the conditions in San Diego. Driving is less of a premium, hitting the greens is the key. Amazing another public course is hosting a major. Who you got?
I like a couple longer shots few are talking about, Tyrell Hatton and Viktor Hovland.

He won't win because his putting from 6' in is poor but Paul Casey has 11 Top 10's in Majors including 2 in the last 12 months. Expect him to be on the front page at some time over the weekend.

Reactions: ClassOf02
I like a couple longer shots few are talking about, Tyrell Hatton and Viktor Hovland.

He won't win because his putting from 6' in is poor but Paul Casey has 11 Top 10's in Majors including 2 in the last 12 months. Expect him to be on the front page at some time over the weekend.
I'm a big fan of Tony Finau and will also bet Will Zalatoris. Paul Casey has all the tools except hitting 10 foot putts

I like Morikawa. Of course no one is more familiar with the venue than Phil.
In a shocking upset, I have Koepka with a TKO over DeChambeau in the 6th.
Actually Phil spoke about it this week. The course has changed so much since he was young. In fact he really doesn't like the current South course.

I like Morikawa. Of course no one is more familiar with the venue than Phil.
In a shocking upset, I have Koepka with a TKO over DeChambeau in the 6th.
I believe Phil's wins there were all a long, long time ago. He finished T18 last Open there. He's played the Farmers 3 times in the last 4 years with no better than a finish around 48th.

I'd love to see him in the mix come Sunday but recent history is against him.

Reactions: RutHut
Koepka early Leader at -4. Schauffele and Rogers -3.

LOL. After 12 holes Matthew Wolff is -1. 2 Pars, 6 Birdies, 3 Bogeys, and a Double.

Matthew Wolff Update....

He finished -1 for Round 1.

5 Pars
8 Birdies
3 Bogeys
2 Doubles

Don't see that very often.

Phil is +4 after 16.

Last edited:
Koepka early Leader at -4. Schauffele and Rogers -3.

LOL. After 12 holes Matthew Wolff is -1. 2 Pars, 6 Birdies, 3 Bogeys, and a Double.
Forgot to post here - Schauffele is my pick and not just because he's -3, lol. He's been so close in US Opens and other majors and he's a local, so maybe this is his time to get it done.

Forgot to post here - Schauffele is my pick and not just because he's -3, lol. He's been so close in US Opens and other majors and he's a local, so maybe this is his time to get it done.
He was in this morning's featured group on the Open site so saw most of his round. Looked very steady throughout.

Reactions: RU848789
Something is missing for me.Not exciting yet.Will.it be? May watch Sunday again.(played golf from age 14-80.)

Last edited:
Something is missing for me.Not exciting yet.Will.it be? May watch Sunday again.(played golf from she 24-80.)
Except for the Masters the first day of the other majors and big tournaments aren't exciting. Come tomorrow when half the field is finished and you will know the cutting and then its time to watch the big names on the bubble.

Something is missing for me.Not exciting yet.Will.it be? May watch Sunday again.(played golf from she 24-80.)
The 1st 2 days those playing well are scattered over almost 12 hours of the broadcast. Once they tee off Saturday by where they stand on the leaderboard it gets a lot more intense as it has a mano a mano feel.

find it difficult to root for Koepka. Feel like he is one of those guys that like to dish it but can’t take it type. Would love to see him and Bryson in the same group on the weekend.

Reactions: Knightmoves
This guy Bland is putting in the work.

Guy is piping 330+ yard drives at age 48, incredible.

This guy Bland is putting in the work.

Guy is piping 330+ yard drives at age 48, incredible.

Stories about extreme long shots like Bland are great for the US Open. Remember Marty Fleckman in the US Open at Baltusrol in 1967? As an amateur he led the US Open on Sunday on the first tee.

While still an amateur, Fleckman played in the U.S. Open at Baltusrol in 1967. He led after the first and third rounds,[6][7] but shot 80 (+10) on Sunday amid a surge by eventual champion Jack Nicklaus.

Last edited:
Don't see how Rory can be rated in the top three. Hasn't been very impressive for quite a few years. I'll be rooting for Koepka, Speith, and Phil. Would also be great to have Rahm win, after his bad luck at the last tournament.

Don't see how Rory can be rated in the top three. Hasn't been very impressive for quite a few years. I'll be rooting for Koepka, Speith, and Phil. Would also be great to have Rahm win, after his bad luck at the last tournament.
He is ranked #11. He also just won a tournament.

Moving day. I think anyone within 6 of the lead is still in it. A lot interesting names on the leader board. You have the favorites, underdogs and a few where have you been guys up there. I think it’s Rahm or Xander. Still hoping to see Bryson and Brooksie get paired up on Sunday and Rory to make a run.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
Great golf shot just bad result. You know we have a US Open thread, right?.

Sergio's shot looked like it was coming back off the green anyway, assuming it had any spin on it.

more bad luck at the open, or maybe just bad

Brian Harman had a chance to be 3 strokes from the lead, then this happened

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT