ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US Open

The back nine has simply destroyed everyone, except Louis and Rahm (so far) - not sure if it's the back nine, per se, or the last nine of the US Open...

This is shaping up to be one hell of a finish, and I’ll enjoy every second of it (though I have some $$ in play here so I’m definitely rooting for certain guys).

That said, anyone else wish they were watching this on CBS with Nantz, Faldo, and the crew? I can’t stand NBC’s coverage. TONS of commercials (at least we have the play through, but still way too many) and Azinger is a brutal listen.

The NBC coverage this year is disgusting. Everyone hates Fox but they pushed NBC and CBS to be better. Fox's coverage had the fewest commercials by far, live leaderboard on screen at all times, mics everywhere, and tracer on every tee shot and fairway shot. You can tell NBC completely mailed in the coverage this year because they're spread way too thin with Olympics coverage. CBS coverage has blown NBC away this season.

The NBC coverage this year is disgusting. Everyone hates Fox but they pushed NBC and CBS to be better. Fox's coverage had the fewest commercials by far, live leaderboard on screen at all times, mics everywhere, and tracer on every tee shot and fairway shot. You can tell NBC completely mailed in the coverage this year because they're spread way too thin with Olympics coverage. CBS coverage has blown NBC away this season.
There was nothing even good about Fox. The worst ever except when ESPN let Chris Berman do golf. They didn't push CBS or NBC. Who needs a leadeboard all the time?? CBS is the golf standard. NBC is a far 2nd, the rest were garbage. BTW Fox had more commercials

Reactions: Section124
There was nothing even good about Fox. The worst ever except when ESPN let Chris Berman do golf. They didn't push CBS or NBC. Who needs a leadeboard all the time?? CBS is the golf standard. NBC is a far 2nd, the rest were garbage. BTW Fox had more commercials
I mean, I'd say more tracer is a good viewing experience. Fox did not have more commercials, it's been stated that NBC has bought out fox's remaining contract and has also added in more commercials.

I mean, I'd say more tracer is a good viewing experience. Fox did not have more commercials, it's been stated that NBC has bought out fox's remaining contract and has also added in more commercials.
Fox was the worst golf coverage ever. Period. I never want to hear Joe Buck anywhere near a golf telecast ever.

Reactions: B0ski
Fox was the worst golf coverage ever. Period. I never want to hear Joe Buck anywhere near a golf telecast ever.

I get not wanting Buck near a golf telecast, but at least I can mute that and still watch golf shots. I can't watch golf when it's filled with commercials and puff pieces instead of showing live shots. Show me lots of shots and give me lots of tracer and I'm happy. That hasn't happened this week.

Yet NBC does split screen like EPL. You don't miss action. Fox did not be the first to use the tracer. Golf Channel did.

Yet NBC does split screen like EPL. You don't miss action
Right, and Fox still showed more golf shots even without that because they had so few commercials (which, was unsustainable as their contract has shown). The split screen can be great at times, but it's inexcusable to use it on a Sunday afternoon as leaders are attempting birdie putts while also going 5+ minutes without showing live shots when you're not in commercial.

On a more fun note -- Migliozzi likely getting into the Masters for 2022 which is a fun story.

Right, and Fox still showed more golf shots even without that because they had so few commercials (which, was unsustainable as their contract has shown). The split screen can be great at times, but it's inexcusable to use it on a Sunday afternoon as leaders are attempting birdie putts while also going 5+ minutes without showing live shots when you're not in commercial.

On a more fun note -- Migliozzi likely getting into the Masters for 2022 which is a fun story.
Huh? They use the split screen in the EPL, EURO and World Cup and people love it over a 5 min commercials break that Fox uses. Anyway Fox wasnt innovative at all. They used existing technology. Plus they had the worse announcers.
Agree that Migliozzi is a great story! A future star?

Huh? They use the split screen in the EPL, EURO and World Cup and people love it over a 5 min commercials break that Fox uses. Anyway Fox wasnt innovative at all. They used existing technology. Plus they had the worse announcers.
Agree that Migliozzi is a great story! A future star?
Yes people like the split screen but when it's used in addition to commercials--like when CBS/Fox does split screen/commercial/split screen over a 11-13 minute time period during regular tour events, people hate it.

Fox used existing technology, but they expanded it. No ones saying they invented having a tracer on shots, but they were the first to put it on all 18 tee shots, instead of just 5-6 like CBS had at the time. They also were the first to have it on approach shots. The announcers may have sucked, but I'd take that sacrifice all day long for having more actual shots shown.

One other complaint about NBC. Their broadcast is a good 1-2 minutes behind the US Open website/leaderboard. I’ve been keeping an eye on scores/shot tracking of other guys (due to a pool I’m in) and I’m getting their updates (as well as the leaders) before NBC shows it.

I won’t wade into the Fox vs NBC debate, but NBC is absolutely atrocious this year.

Yes people like the split screen but when it's used in addition to commercials--like when CBS/Fox does split screen/commercial/split screen over a 11-13 minute time period during regular tour events, people hate it.

Fox used existing technology, but they expanded it. No ones saying they invented having a tracer on shots, but they were the first to put it on all 18 tee shots, instead of just 5-6 like CBS had at the time. They also were the first to have it on approach shots. The announcers may have sucked, but I'd take that sacrifice all day long for having more actual shots shown.
First the tracer was used on all holes by the Golf Channel before anyone, owned by NBC! Second nobody does 13 min commercials breaks. Even Fox. Even if you want to believe what you want, there is no dispute that Fox was the worst Golf programming.

First the tracer was used on all holes by the Golf Channel before anyone, owned by NBC! Second nobody does 13 min commercials breaks. Even Fox. Even if you want to believe what you want, there is no dispute that Fox was the worst Golf programming.
sorry, didn't mean 13 min straight commercial breaks, I meant 3 separate 'commercial' breaks within a 13 minute timeframe. Not sure where you would have seen golf channel using shot tracer on all holes 5+ years ago, they don't even do that now.

sorry, didn't mean 13 min straight commercial breaks, I meant 3 separate 'commercial' breaks within a 13 minute timeframe. Not sure where you would have seen golf channel using shot tracer on all holes 5+ years ago, they don't even do that now.
Golf Channel was the test channel for the technology. Anyway im not looking for an argument. Tired of the fights on here. Believe what you want, doesn't make you right or wrong in your mind.

Congrats to Rahm. Perfect winner for this US Open. Love that he has that fire in his belly. I wish more of the US players had that.

Golf Channel was the test channel for the technology. Anyway im not looking for an argument. Tired of the fights on here. Believe what you want, doesn't make you right or wrong in your mind.

Not trying to argue, nor have I disagreed with you saying that Fox didn't invent the technology. I've simply said they greatly expanded the use of those things, which the other channels weren't doing at the time (and in the case of this weekend still, somehow, don't do).

Nice win by Rahm.

NBC’s coverage may be lackluster but their theme music gets me pumped AF for major championship golf whenever I hear it.

Anything not to hear Jim Nantz’s ponderous, melodramatic announcing. Whenever he’s on with Verne Lundquist, I wish he would just shut up and learn a thing or two. He’s a gigantic putz.

ADVERTISEMENT