ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USFL Starts Tonight

Knightmoves

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Is anyone juiced for this? All games played at a new stadium at UAB in Birmingham AL. Some rule changes, helmet cams, etc. Tickets are $10 for adults and kids are free. Fox Sports runs the league. No players can be on a NFL roster.

Is this a serious alternative FB league or just an opportunity to provide action for degenerate gamblers?

Reactions: bori_blanco
Spring is lacrosse. Besides Rutgers - Michigan at noon you have

OSU - Maryland 4PM Big 10 Channel
Penn St. - Johns Hopkins 6PM ESPNU
Virginia - Quinnipiac 8PM ACC Network

IMHO much more interesting than minor league football.

Reactions: Section124
If you had the league start in Feb and there was a 2 round nfl draft. Around this time of year A few more People might watch .
One last chance to shine for All the fringe practice squad players and guys looking for more visibility. Having zero link to the NFL hurts and makes these leagues a non entity

Is anyone juiced for this? All games played at a new stadium at UAB in Birmingham AL. Some rule changes, helmet cams, etc. Tickets are $10 for adults and kids are free. Fox Sports runs the league. No players can be on a NFL roster.

Is this a serious alternative FB league or just an opportunity to provide action for degenerate gamblers?

Good Lord you have to REALLY be a DEGENERATE GAMBLER to bet on two teams that have never played a game before.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
I’m old enough to remember the first incarnation and thought the football wasn’t that bad. And it didn’t have a League connection either.

Hope it sticks and evolves into something like NFL Europe did.

I plan on checking it out.
I had (and may still have somewhere) a New Jersey Generals painter's cap.
I mistakenly recalled that the orange man had actually owned the team, but he backed out with the hopes of buying the Baltimore Colts.

Reactions: Morrischiano
I had (and may still have somewhere) a New Jersey Generals painter's cap.
I mistakenly recalled that the orange man had actually owned the team, but he backed out with the hopes of buying the Baltimore Colts.

I thought Pres T did own them. Didn't he sign Hershell Walker?

Or are we experiencing another Mandela effect?

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Last edited:
Owner(s)
1983 J. Walter Duncan/Chuck Fairbanks
1984–1985 Donald Trump

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Generals

I believe when the USFL folded Trump was still the owner.
Walker was signed by the Generals while he was an underclassman not eligible for NFL play
because , at the time, the NFL banned their teams from signing underclassmen

I had the story incomplete:

"From the beginning, USFL founder David Dixon placed a premium on putting a team in the New York area. Initially, Donald Trump was tapped to own the team. However, he backed out after paying an initial installment on the franchise fee, hoping instead to buy the struggling Baltimore Colts of the NFL. Needing a credible owner with the means to front a team in the nation's biggest market, Dixon persuaded Oklahoma oil magnate J. Walter Duncan to step in. Duncan had originally been slated to own the USFL's Chicago franchise, as he'd grown up in Chicago. However, he readily agreed to shift to New York."

"At 66 years old, Duncan soon tired of flying as far as 1,500 miles (2,400 km) from his home in Oklahoma City to see his team play. Believing that the Generals were far too important to the USFL to have an absentee owner, he decided to sell to a local buyer. After the 1983 season, he found one in Donald Trump, who had initially angled for the franchise in 1982 before backing out.[6]

Trump promptly fired Fairbanks. Seeking a high-profile coach, he initially tried to lure Joe Gibbs of the Washington Redskins.[2] When those talks failed, he turned to legendary Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula. Trump offered him a $5 million contract. Shula was receptive, but insisted on getting a rent-free apartment at Trump Tower. In October 1983, Trump announced that the deal was all but done, but the only snag was Shula's insistence on an apartment. A furious Shula broke off talks. Years later, former Dolphins' running back Larry Csonka, by then an executive with the Jacksonville Bulls, said that he believed Shula would have taken the job, but was angered at being "thrown out to the press" by Trump. After Joe Paterno of Penn State turned him down as well, Trump hired former New York Jets head coach Walt Michaels."

This receiver, Randy Satterfield, on the Generals is from a no name college. Lyon College in Arkansas. They’re not even Div III. Just announced in February plans to transition to Div III over the next 4 years. That’s the type of players a league like this needs to find along w a few 2nd chance 1A players. His bio says he was from Orange NJ. Anyone ever hear of him from HS football or (lack of?) recruiting?

Anyone.notice,not many flags?

I bet they told the refs we don’t want the game bogged down with flags. Let them play and call it loose No way these guys are playing this clean of a game.

The penalties definitely aren’t missed by this football fan. The game flow is excellent without so many penalties, reviews and four billion commercials.

Last edited:
Decent announcers and no loud commercials every 4 minutes
I don't need all the helmet mics but this is watchable
I agree they don’t need the gimmicks they figured out the magic recipe. Limit penalties, reviews and commercials and it becomes an enjoyable viewing experience once again.

I agree they don’t need the gimmicks they figured out the magic recipe. Limit penalties, reviews and commercials and it becomes an enjoyable viewing experience once again.
Yes the way it is the announcers are often quiet while some players are shouting loud nothings. They also talk about plays called. I imagine there is some delay so Bill Belichick cant steal the plays

Reactions: koleszar
Ok that overhead view of the kickoff just gave me vertigo and was close to being vomit inducing.

The players are making $4,500 a week. That's less than Alabama and Ohio State pay their players. 😎 According to USFL News, the pay structure is simple and uniform: Every player has the same base salary: each player receives $4,500 per week that they are on an active roster, $1,500 per week if they are on a practice squad, and $600 per week if they are at training camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
Teams seem genuinely happy to win and sad to lose
I hope its not a sign that NJ loses already lol

Jersey generals uni looks like RU. Way to go !
interesting with the stars.. I think Rutgers should have an alternate uni that is red white and blue.. with a ring of stars somewhere.. like the Betsy Ross flag.. we're pre and post Revolutionary War college/university... may as well highlight that on occasion. It is a unique history for P5 football program.. and the Big Ten has no red, white and blue team among its red and white teams.

Surprised the new USFL did not bring back the Dicker Rod from the WFL
defunctsports_7_433573.jpg

interesting with the stars.. I think Rutgers should have an alternate uni that is red white and blue.. with a ring of stars somewhere.. like the Betsy Ross flag.. we're pre and post Revolutionary War college/university... may as well highlight that on occasion. It is a unique history for P5 football program.. and the Big Ten has no red, white and blue team among its red and white teams.

Surprised the new USFL did not bring back the Dicker Rod from the WFL
defunctsports_7_433573.jpg

The USFL balls are chipped so they measure downs electronically. I'm not sure how it works exactly and I'm curious to see how the tags hold-up. The small drone cameras were pretty interesting. They reminded me of the drones chasing Gordon Freeman around in Half Life. I heard this week that China uses them inside buildings to monitor the lockdowns

Nah.

The Cannon is good enough.

Reactions: RU at the shore
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT