ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USFL Starts Tonight

Smart idea for the USFL to have a TV triple header on Easter Sunday. Many people will be at home today, and like the NFL does on Thanksgiving, the games will be on starting at noon for the rest of the day. Will be interesting to see what the TV ratings are.

I may turn on the Tampa game to get a look at Anthony Cioffi. Got to give him credit for continuing to play the game at this point. Was he signed by Greg and then played for Flood?

From his Wiki page:

“Known for his exceptional speed, Sports Illustrated noted in an April 2017 feature that "...Cioffi and BYU’s Micah Hannemann were the only white corners to start for a BCS school recently. Cioffi had earned his way into that coveted corner spot after a stellar high school career at Jonathan Dayton in Springfield, New Jersey and by winning the 2012 Group 1 state title in the 100 meters with a time of 10.86. Cioffi defeated the favorite in that state title race, Anthony Averett, who is now a cornerback for the Baltimore Ravens. He graduated high school with a 2.3 GPA"[3]

I hope it does last because we finally have another pro team that is not afraid to use New Jersey in its name. So I PRAY that you are wrong!
All the games being held in Alabama kinda makes the team name moot, don’t you think?

I thought this was a joke. They really used the old names.

What's the o/u on Hershell's TDs?
I will place a bet that his number of TDs will be less than the number of times you have already spelled Herschel's name incorrectly.

The league decided to play every game there this season.

hopefully they make enough $ to have the teams play in their home areas next season
Might take more than one season to get a fanbase that will support home town venues.
From what I read about it, goal is to play in their home markets in 2023,but ( in my opinion)
that might be pushed back if the league feels there's not enough support yet.
TV rights are driving the bus and if the TV audience is great enough , the league might move into home locations, but if not and it looks like more fans might come onboard later, home venues could be pushed back until the 2024 season
But there's always a chance of losing the home venue fanbase , if the teams don't start playing in those cities soon because the fans might just feel name only isn't their team and stop watching
because games being played in Alabama while using other area names

I had the story incomplete:

"From the beginning, USFL founder David Dixon placed a premium on putting a team in the New York area. Initially, Donald Trump was tapped to own the team. However, he backed out after paying an initial installment on the franchise fee, hoping instead to buy the struggling Baltimore Colts of the NFL. Needing a credible owner with the means to front a team in the nation's biggest market, Dixon persuaded Oklahoma oil magnate J. Walter Duncan to step in. Duncan had originally been slated to own the USFL's Chicago franchise, as he'd grown up in Chicago. However, he readily agreed to shift to New York."

"At 66 years old, Duncan soon tired of flying as far as 1,500 miles (2,400 km) from his home in Oklahoma City to see his team play. Believing that the Generals were far too important to the USFL to have an absentee owner, he decided to sell to a local buyer. After the 1983 season, he found one in Donald Trump, who had initially angled for the franchise in 1982 before backing out.[6]

Trump promptly fired Fairbanks. Seeking a high-profile coach, he initially tried to lure Joe Gibbs of the Washington Redskins.[2] When those talks failed, he turned to legendary Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula. Trump offered him a $5 million contract. Shula was receptive, but insisted on getting a rent-free apartment at Trump Tower. In October 1983, Trump announced that the deal was all but done, but the only snag was Shula's insistence on an apartment. A furious Shula broke off talks. Years later, former Dolphins' running back Larry Csonka, by then an executive with the Jacksonville Bulls, said that he believed Shula would have taken the job, but was angered at being "thrown out to the press" by Trump. After Joe Paterno of Penn State turned him down as well, Trump hired former New York Jets head coach Walt Michaels."
Trump had the not-so-bright ideas of moving the schedule to the Fall to compete with the NFL to force a merger and suing the NFL That was the beginning of the end for the USFL.

The reason that all of these alternative pro football leagues have failed in recent years is simple. They don't have the talent. The leagues that had some measure of success (the AFL, ABA, and the original USFL) were able to compete with the dominant leagues for talent and find great players where they weren't looking for them. The environment is different now.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Was a massive Generals fan from 83-85 (my middle school years) and am enjoying this very much. Made hotel and car rental reservations for the USFL championship. Bought tix as well. IF the Generals make it in, I'm there.

Reactions: goru1869
Was a massive Generals fan from 83-85 (my middle school years) and am enjoying this very much. Made hotel and car rental reservations for the USFL championship. Bought tix as well. IF the Generals make it in, I'm there.
I will just say it right now, have a great time. Our Generals will be in it!

Reactions: RUinsane
The NJ Generals are from Birmingham, AL just like the rest of the league.

Do they not allow fans at the games? There may be 5 people there and they probably work at the stadium.

In all seriousness, I’ve watched most Generals games and a few other league games and I’ve been entertained

Definitely some players earned NFL camp invites.
Agreed - the quality of football is pretty good - but I don’t think this is going last

I've haven't been able to muster any interest in this league yet. My problem is minor league football leagues pop up and then disappear just as quickly. Maybe next year when teams play in their actual home stadiums and (hopefully) fans are in the stands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT