ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance Bob. AMERICAN public will say no more. By the way turn off the news and go for a good walk. It does wonders for the body and soul. Just finished my 3 miles.
Good for you I’m taking today off. 5- 6 days per week on the track is wrecking to an old body. Just some lite weights today. Sorry but at almost 71 there is a difference . Not everyday is a track day. The masks are a personal choice. Most at the track or streets don’t wear masks. The funniest though is still seeing people alone, driving their cars wearing what else? A mask...😊👌🙏

Thanks: Today’s NJ.com tells you exactly what the next issue is going to be as I said in the above yesterday. Not enough qualified people to administer the vaccine to the masses. Back in ancient times ( 1960’s) when the polio vaccine became available less educated people ( by today’s standards) somehow managed to give out those millions of sugar cubes. They will eventually activate the military in order to alleviate the shortage. If they don’t then this will get worse.

The problem right now is supply. NJ’s department of health on Friday said they can handle 4x’s of what they are currently doing.

Reactions: Greg2020
By almost everyone getting the vaccine:

Will it allow us to unmask?

To hug our parents ?

Does it guarantee immunity?

Schools will reopen?

We won't have to lockdown anything, anyone or anywhere?

We can dine inside restaurants or go to the movies without restrictions?

We can stop disinfecting stuff?

52k+ can pack into SHI Stadium in September ?

Yankee Stadium can be sold out for Old Timers Day?

Social distancing will be unnecessary?

This vaccine definitely won't kill any of us?

If the answer is no to any of those, then why the heck do we need to take the vaccine?

By almost everyone getting the vaccine:

Will it allow us to unmask?

To hug our parents ?

Does it guarantee immunity?

Schools will reopen?

We won't have to lockdown anything, anyone or anywhere?

We can dine inside restaurants or go to the movies without restrictions?

We can stop disinfecting stuff?

52k+ can pack into SHI Stadium in September ?

Yankee Stadium can be sold out for Old Timers Day?

Social distancing will be unnecessary?

This vaccine definitely won't kill any of us?

If the answer is no to any of those, then why the heck do we need to take the vaccine?

That's the idea.

Man up and get the vaccine or stop complaining.

Reactions: Greg2020
Have you gone hiking recently ?

Nothing serious, but up the mountain with the dog. Was supposed to be staying in a treehouse cabin in Zion NP this weekend for some really nice hiking/biking but had to postpone because need to update dog's shots and couldn't get the appointment until next week.

Most of my hiking this time of year comes from hiking up the ridge line for stashed powder to snowboard ...but it needs to actually snow for that to work. All bunny hill today, anyway ...teaching the kids.

Nothing serious, but up the mountain with the dog. Was supposed to be staying in a treehouse cabin in Zion NP this weekend for some really nice hiking/biking but had to postpone because need to update dog's shots and couldn't get the appointment until next week.

Most of my hiking this time of year comes from hiking up the ridge line for stashed powder to snowboard ...but it needs to actually snow for that to work. All bunny hill today, anyway ...teaching the kids.
Very good response ! Now i feel bad because I was trying to suck you into responding ( which I did ) and say watch out for low branches so you don't bump your head. Oh well , but a great activity to do with the kids. I do it once in a while with my son.

Reactions: fsg2
The problem right now is supply. NJ’s department of health on Friday said they can handle 4x’s of what they are currently doing.
The problem coming is distribution and the lack of qualified medical staffing.

Deaths in Norway from the vaccine up to 52. Their government seems to think a 3-5% death rate from the vaccine is acceptable to get to herd immunity. That's way more than deaths from COVID itself!!! WTF?

• Angry
Reactions: Postman_1
Sorry, that’s not it.
Oh yes it is a future problem. You will
see that come to fruition if and when the vaccine supplies are available to all who want the vaccine. I’m not here to argue just to let you know I was one of those who were somewhat skeptical in how phase 1 would turn out. Well it’s a shit show and I don’t think it will be improving in the next several weeks. With all the panic going on over possible civil unrest that will also impact the distribution . All you had to do is read NJ.com today.

Oh yes it is a future problem. You will
see that come to fruition if and when the vaccine supplies are available to all who want the vaccine. I’m not here to argue just to let you know I was one of those who were somewhat skeptical in how phase 1 would turn out. Well it’s a shit show and I don’t think it will be improving in the next several weeks. With all the panic going on over possible civil unrest that will also impact the distribution . All you had to do is read NJ.com today.
And they're never wrong. Ever.🙄

And they're never wrong. Ever.🙄
The article was not written by NJ.com . It was an insert article but was mentioned . Perischelli made mention of the possibility but the state is hoping not to have an issue with having staff that is trained.

Deaths in Norway from the vaccine up to 52. Their government seems to think a 3-5% death rate from the vaccine is acceptable to get to herd immunity. That's way more than deaths from COVID itself!!! WTF?
If this is true how can people be called selfish for being skeptical (and wanting to wait) about getting the vaccine? I am hoping this is not true and the vaccine kicks covids ass.

Reactions: goru1869
If this is true how can people be called selfish for being skeptical (and wanting to wait) about getting the vaccine? I am hoping this is not true and the vaccine kicks covids ass.

Are you old and on your deathbed? Will minor side effects like nausea kill you? If you answered no, time to grow a sack.

I’ve also not seen the 52 number anywhere. So just more fake and misleading news. Nothing to see here.

Are you old and on your deathbed? Will minor side effects like nausea kill you? If you answered no, time to grow a sack.

I’ve also not seen the 52 number anywhere. So just more fake and misleading news. Nothing to see here.
So just assume it’s fake not not look into it. That would seem kinda dumb. But it is you saying this so I can understand it. Getting the vaccine is now about having a sack. Don’t question or research anything.

Reactions: goru1869
When we have the chance to make fun of NJ.com...we make fun of NJ.com. 😉
No I understand just there are some who think everything is going to be good by summer. Wish that were true but we are not doing well with this.

The poster should provide a link

I got the Moderna vaccine.

I didn’t die. Just giving my firsthand experience. Not dead yet.

Have your feelings of Bill Gates changed, do you somehow like him better?

Also, it would help the the one world government if you would walk up and down the street a few times, the tracking satellite is having trouble getting a fix and it needs to be recalibrated.

Reactions: MulletCork
Way to sensationalize this story. Show one scientific source that says there were deaths known to be "due to" the vaccine. Deaths in very old and very frail people are certainly a concern and should be investigated, but it's just as likely that these deaths were coincidental, as per the BMJ article below. There was no indication in the elderly in the clinical trials that the vaccines would be dangerous to any of these people. As per the post below (and the Derek Lowe blog excerpt/link), it was predicted that some unscrupulous media types/anti-vaxxers, like yourself, would start spewing this kind of crap and now we're seeing it. I'm sure you'll bring more such posts to these threads in an attempt to scare people.

“It may be a coincidence, but we aren’t sure,” Steinar Madsen, medical director of the Norwegian Medicines Agency (NOMA), told The BMJ. “There is no certain connection between these deaths and the vaccine.”

The agency has investigated 13 of the deaths so far and concluded that common adverse reactions of mRNA vaccines, such as fever, nausea, and diarrhoea, may have contributed to fatal outcomes in some of the frail patients.

“There is a possibility that these common adverse reactions, that are not dangerous in fitter, younger patients and are not unusual with vaccines, may aggravate underlying disease in the elderly,” Madsen said. “We are not alarmed or worried about this, because these are very rare occurrences and they occurred in very frail patients with very serious disease,” he emphasised. “We are now asking for doctors to continue with the vaccination, but to carry out extra evaluation of very sick people whose underlying condition might be aggravated by it.” This evaluation includes discussing the risks and benefits of vaccination with the patient and their families to decide whether or not vaccination is the best course.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149

I understand wary, although if I were on the front lines or behaving in a risky manner, I'd have zero issue getting either mRNA vaccine, as soon as the FDA approves the EUA and presumably shares more details from the ongoing clinical trials (they have to) and assuming those data don't raise any red flags. For me even a 1 in 20K chance of a serious adverse event (and it should be far less than that, with 1 in 20K being the absolute worst case, since there were no serious adverse events, due to the vaccine, so far) is not worth the 72 in 20K risk of dying for people aged 50-64 (43K deaths from COVID for ~12MM people, assuming ~20% infected so far; that's about 8X the death rate from flu for that age group) and about the 500-1000 per 20K chance of a serious illness.

Perhaps for young, healthy people, the comparison isn't as clear cut, although if the risk of death and serious adverse events are actually more like 1 in 500K or more, as one would expect given the data so far and comparison to past history of other vaccines (and we'll know this better in about a month after 10MM+ are vaccinated), then getting the vaccine still would make sense to me, as the chances of dying for 25-34 year olds are 0.022% or 4.4 in 20K or 110 in 500K (2037 COVID deaths over 20% of 46MM people). It would also be helpful to confirm if vaccinated people are less likely to transmit the virus (should be the case, but not proven yet), as that's another reason to get the vaccine.

Having said all that, I'm not a high priority, so I'll have to wait and I'm ok with waiting, as we're very conservative on contact with anyone and I'm ok with people at much greater risk of infection getting the vaccine before me. That will also give us the luxury of knowing a fair amount more about the vaccines and their efficacy/safety by the time we get vaccinated.

With regard to side effects, another angle we're going to need to consider is the media frenzy/scare angle, which we know is real. Derek Lowe has a nice blog article on this from Friday, where he talks about the fact that any sample of 10MM people, vaccinated or not, is going to have quite a few deaths (14K) and many other medical maladies and there will be reports about some of these being "due to" the vaccine and that will likely scare some people away from getting the vaccine, unfortunately. This is not the same as the flawed argument circulating that deaths from COVID aren't really due to COVID, as those deaths are signed off on by doctors and the 300K+ excess deaths so far this year is an independent check that the 275K deaths we've seen from COVID are truly due to COVID.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/04/get-ready-for-false-side-effects

Bob Wachter of UCSF had a very good thread on Twitter about vaccine rollouts the other day, and one of the good points he made was this one. We’re talking about treating very, very large populations, which means that you’re going to see the usual run of mortality and morbidity that you see across large samples. Specifically, if you take 10 million people and just wave your hand back and forth over their upper arms, in the next two months you would expect to see about 4,000 heart attacks. About 4,000 strokes. Over 9,000 new diagnoses of cancer. And about 14,000 of that ten million will die, out of usual all-causes mortality. No one would notice. That’s how many people die and get sick anyway.

But if you took those ten million people and gave them a new vaccine instead, there’s a real danger that those heart attacks, cancer diagnoses, and deaths will be attributed to the vaccine. I mean, if you reach a large enough population, you are literally going to have cases where someone gets the vaccine and drops dead the next day (just as they would have if they *didn’t* get the vaccine). It could prove difficult to convince that person’s friends and relatives of that lack of connection, though. Post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this, therefore because of this) is one of the most powerful fallacies of human logic, and we’re not going to get rid of it any time soon. Especially when it comes to vaccines. The best we can do, I think, is to try to get the word out in advance. Let people know that such things are going to happen, because people get sick and die constantly in this world. The key will be whether they are getting sick or dying at a noticeably higher rate once they have been vaccinated.

No such safety signals have appeared for the first vaccines to roll out (Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech). In fact, we should be seeing the exact opposite effects on mortality and morbidity as more and more people get vaccinated. The excess-death figures so far in the coronavirus pandemic have been appalling (well over 300,000 in the US), and I certainly think mass vaccination is the most powerful method we have to knock that back down to normal.

That’s going to be harder to do, though, if we get screaming headlines about people falling over due to heart attacks after getting their vaccine shots. Be braced.

So just assume it’s fake not not look into it. That would seem kinda dumb. But it is you saying this so I can understand it. Getting the vaccine is now about having a sack. Don’t question or research anything.

Question and research.....I have done a good amount of that. Have you, or do you believe anything you read on the internet? You seem to only comment on fake news.

Reactions: pmvon and Greg2020
Way to sensationalize this story. Show one scientific source that says there were deaths known to be "due to" the vaccine. Deaths in very old and very frail people are certainly a concern and should be investigated, but it's just as likely that these deaths were coincidental, as per the BMJ article below. There was no indication in the elderly in the clinical trials that the vaccines would be dangerous to any of these people. As per the post below (and the Derek Lowe blog excerpt/link), it was predicted that some unscrupulous media types/anti-vaxxers, like yourself, would start spewing this kind of crap and now we're seeing it. I'm sure you'll bring more such posts to these threads in an attempt to scare people.

“It may be a coincidence, but we aren’t sure,” Steinar Madsen, medical director of the Norwegian Medicines Agency (NOMA), told The BMJ. “There is no certain connection between these deaths and the vaccine.”

The agency has investigated 13 of the deaths so far and concluded that common adverse reactions of mRNA vaccines, such as fever, nausea, and diarrhoea, may have contributed to fatal outcomes in some of the frail patients.

“There is a possibility that these common adverse reactions, that are not dangerous in fitter, younger patients and are not unusual with vaccines, may aggravate underlying disease in the elderly,” Madsen said. “We are not alarmed or worried about this, because these are very rare occurrences and they occurred in very frail patients with very serious disease,” he emphasised. “We are now asking for doctors to continue with the vaccination, but to carry out extra evaluation of very sick people whose underlying condition might be aggravated by it.” This evaluation includes discussing the risks and benefits of vaccination with the patient and their families to decide whether or not vaccination is the best course.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149

There is a huge antivaxxer campaign hitting this country, likely from Russia. There was a video of a “nurse who got Bell’s palsy from the vaccine” a week or so ago. That made the rounds on social media. A lot more of this garbage is happening too, and guess who’s falling for it???

Last edited:
From NYT:

"After at least 33 nursing home residents died after their vaccinations, Norwegian health authorities on Sunday emphasized that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is safe and said that the deaths may have been largely unrelated.

Those who died were very ill; some were terminal patients, not expected to live longer than weeks or months."

Quick question, why are they vaccinating people who only have a week to live?

From NYT:

"After at least 33 nursing home residents died after their vaccinations, Norwegian health authorities on Sunday emphasized that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is safe and said that the deaths may have been largely unrelated.

Those who died were very ill; some were terminal patients, not expected to live longer than weeks or months."

Because that's not what it said?

From NYT:

Yet i never see posters here try to splice the covid deaths and say they were very ill and likely to die anyhow

So when vaccine deaths are dismissed because of underlying conditions but COVID deaths count no matter what underlying conditions patients have, I smell bull$hit!!!

“No evidence of direct link to Pfizer-BioNTech shot: officials”

'
yeah they cannot keep up with their hypocrisy, now its old people die excuse..wait wut

So when you don't believe in masks or shutdowns (I.e. social distancing), are afraid of vaccines and constantly whine about government measures, how exactly do you suggest we handle this pandemic? Really curious.

There is a story from the LA Times today stating that MLB will not require proof of vaccination in order to enter the Stadiums but that states may require it.Unbelievable.Stay home.We went to games in 1957,1968, and 1969 when epidemics were ravaging the country, so why is it different now?

Well that is true , “old people die” . We all will eventually die as it is the cycle of life. What has made this so easy to think or say in 2021 ? It appears some people feel safe and secure and by discarding older people now it improves their future lives. It used to be a common human trait you protect the elderly , the infirm those who need protecting. The entire vaccine debacle is representative of the “ me first” group. If you can get the vaccine sooner great ...if not too bad... Sorry try to have a pleasant death. Imagine if there were still no vaccines available as a potential safeguard Or cure. Now that would be interesting ...

There is a story from the LA Times today stating that MLB will not require proof of vaccination in order to enter the Stadiums but that states may require it.Unbelievable.Stay home.We went to games in 1957,1968, and 1969 when epidemics were ravaging the country, so why is it different now?
It was quite different. Actually much different and we didn’t have a media whose intent is to divide and separate .

So when you don't believe in masks or shutdowns (I.e. social distancing), are afraid of vaccines and constantly whine about government measures, how exactly do you suggest we handle this pandemic? Really curious.

i never said I didnt believe in social distancing, you are a liar. In fact social distancing is always the #1 thing to do however lockdowns are complete garbage and it has been proven throughout the country

and nice deflection from what I was talking about which was elderly dying..its okay when they die AFTER a vaccine, nothing to see but when its covid..oh boy count those stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT