ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Value of a fallen chestnut tree

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
We have several huge chestnut trees. Over 100 yrs old. Over 50 feet tall. One fell this afternoon.

I know that the wood is very rare. I’m thinking it will cause several thousands to remove a tree of that size. Would it be possible to sell it?

When you mentioned this earlier I could feel your pain but I thought of this right away...

56656_1_ftc_dp.jpg

Save the stump.

We have several huge chestnut trees. Over 100 yrs old. Over 50 feet tall. One fell this afternoon.

I know that the wood is very rare. I’m thinking it will cause several thousands to remove a tree of that size. Would it be possible to sell it?

I don't know why you think a chestnut tree is rare. Chestnut trees were the most popular trees in the USA at one point before a virus / disease killed many of them. The chestnut trees are making a comeback.

Coincidence. Right now, I'm reading Richard Powers' Pulitzer-Prize winning novel "The Overstory." The background theme that binds this superb novel is a chestnut tree. The author describes, in detail, how valuable these trees are.

The Asian family thing was a little strange, but loved that book, learned that trees are really fascinating.

Probably not an American Chestnut, which was virtually wiped out by the imported chestnut blight. Mature trees have not been seen for many decades, though a recent cross with another species from China (?) has shown enough promise that it is being propagated and planted experimentally within the original range.

You may have a Horse chestnut, Aesculus hippocastanum, less valuable, and not the strong and durable wood of the American Chestnut (Castanea dentata).

the wood of the American chestnut had the strength of oak and the resistance to rot of cedar. Truly a devastating loss!!

It’s usually reflected in the price from tree removal. Those guys know what they can get for it.

Don't let tree removal people give you the value, know what it is worth.

My grandmother had a GIANT Holly tree (40ft maybe) (living) in her yard. She hated it and had wanted it gone for years. One day, a guy knocked on her door and offered to buy it for $300. She sold it to him he came with his crew, they dug it, balled it and carted it off.

She lives on the Eastern end of Long Island, I am sure the tree was worth MUCH more than that and was probably sold to someone in the Hamptons.

My grandmother had a GIANT Holly tree (40ft maybe) (living) in her yard. She hated it and had wanted it gone for years. One day, a guy knocked on her door and offered to buy it for $300. She sold it to him he came with his crew, they dug it, balled it and carted it off.

She lives on the Eastern end of Long Island, I am sure the tree was worth MUCH more than that and was probably sold to someone in the Hamptons.

As an extension of 1766's reply, if you are not in a big rush, that could probably get you into a better position to get more money. And you might not even want to go the traditional tree removal guy route.

As I think about it I know a guy who recently bought a portable milling saw.

Hmm.. maybe there should be an auction website where people offer their living trees for sale and removal.

I would bring in a few tree service companies and ask for a quote to remove the fallen tree. During the meeting I’d ask them what type of chestnut tree it is and ask if it has salvage value as furnishings.

More contractors you talk to the more you learn imo. Once you know the type of chestnut it is then you will have your answer. Good luck.

Reactions: Morrischiano
ADVERTISEMENT