ADVERTISEMENT

Ot- VH1 special REM- WRSU

Rutgers8086

Junior
Apr 24, 2015
Talked about their emphasis on college radio in the mid 80's. Showed a clip of. WRSU DJ. Is it any of you?

Not the WRSU DJ but I do remember seeing REM at the RAC think it was either '87 or '88.

It was a great show up until someone in the floor seats threw a glow stick onto the stage which hit Michael Stipe. He was furious and immediatley ended the show to a chorus of boos.

Grandpa Stipe recently with the Duck Dynasty vibe.
screen-shot-2016-02-25-at-2-53-47-pm.png

Not the WRSU DJ but I do remember seeing REM at the RAC think it was either '87 or '88.

It was a great show up until someone in the floor seats threw a glow stick onto the stage which hit Michael Stipe. He was furious and immediatley ended the show to a chorus of boos.

I was at that show at the RAC. It was 1987.. My senior year in HS. 10,000 Maniacs opened up for them.

22 October 1987 - Louis Brown Athletic Center, Rutgers The State University Of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ
support: 10,000 Maniacs
set: Finest Worksong / These Days / Welcome To The Occupation / Disturbance At The Heron House / Exhuming McCarthy / Orange Crush / Feeling Gravitys Pull / King Of Birds / Tired Of Singing Trouble - I Believe / Title / Driver 8 / White Tornado / Superman / Pretty Persuasion / Oddfellows Local 151 / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) / Begin The Begin
encore 1: Strange / Swan Swan H / Fall On Me
encore 2: Auctioneer (Another Engine) / Midnight Blue
encore 3: Harpers / The One I Love / Crazy / See No Evil / 1,000,000
notes: Natalie Merchant guests on 'Swan Swan H'. A whole verse of 'Driver 8' is sung solo by Stipe before the band kicks in and the song is performed in its entirety. Michael is hit in the face with a glowstick during 'Midnight Blue'

http://members.iinet.net.au/~darryl74/1987.html

I was there too. It was my first show; my sophomore year in high school. I remember Stipe getting hit with the glow stick. It was very frustrating. I'm not sure that I ever matched that show despite several decades of trying.

Saw REM at the Busch Pub in '83 - great show - you could tell they were ready to break much bigger. Then saw their free outdoor concert on Busch in '85. That show was good, but not as good as at the Pub.

I was at that show at the RAC. It was 1987.. My senior year in HS. 10,000 Maniacs opened up for them.

I was at that show too and skipped seeing 10,000 Maniacs because I didn't know them at the time and to this day still kick myself for that!

Talked about their emphasis on college radio in the mid 80's. Showed a clip of. WRSU DJ. Is it any of you?

Spent some time hanging out at WRSU in the early/mid 80s, as I had a few friends who DJ-ed there (and a few who still do, 30 years later) - do you have a clip or do you know a name?

ADVERTISEMENT