ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Villanova game in Villanova area & Philly Cheesesteak

rufanjerry

Freshman
Sep 24, 2013
planning a family 2 day/1 night trip to Philly. Since we will be there Monday night I thought it would be interesting to find a spot to catch the first half of the championship game if Nova advances. This is a family trip so I was thinking of Old Man Rafferty's type feel as opposed to young crowd. Any places similar or spots that fit description?

We like to visit college campuses on these trips so please give recommendations on must see places/visits on Villanova campus.

We also want to do a Philly cheesesteak taste test so give your recommendations

For philly flavor for the game Chickie and Petes grab some beers and crab fries and Jims on South Street for cheesesteak

Reactions: Scarletwoman
planning a family 2 day/1 night trip to Philly. Since we will be there Monday night I thought it would be interesting to find a spot to catch the first half of the championship game if Nova advances. This is a family trip so I was thinking of Old Man Rafferty's type feel as opposed to young crowd. Any places similar or spots that fit description?

We like to visit college campuses on these trips so please give recommendations on must see places/visits on Villanova campus.

We also want to do a Philly cheesesteak taste test so give your recommendations

Villanova is not in the city limits and about a 25 minute drive from Center City Philly (with no traffic). I don't think there's any must see places on their campus.

The suggestion of Jim's/Chickies and Petes is a good one, especially if you'll have the family with you.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Donkeys is da best.
For South Jersey they're very solid, plus they get bonus points for having a fully stocked bar with a fantastic craft beer selection on tap, just like a ton of top cheesesteak places in Philly do such as Dalessandro's or Joe's (used to be a non-PC name, look up the original name for yourselves).

-Donkeys, Camden
-Jims Steaks, South St, Philly
-Max Steaks, Hunting Park/North Philly
-DiNics, Reading Market, Center City Philly
-DiNics. Rt 168 South, Audubon, NJ

Reactions: bigmatt718
-Donkeys, Camden
-Jims Steaks, South St, Philly
-Max Steaks, Hunting Park/North Philly
-DiNics, Reading Market, Center City Philly
-DiNics. Rt 168 South, Audubon, NJ

Let me second DiNics at Reading terminal. I'd recommend the roast pork. The line is always long, but it moves quickly.

If you want an in-city college tour, just walk through Penn campus. Its very pretty, small and easy to get to. Drexel is adjacent to Penn.

Villanova is on the main line and is a pain to get to. I wouldn't recommend taking the time.

Villanova is in Philly like Seton Hall is in New York. Culturally, it couldn't be further.
Yep. Most truthful statement I'll read all day and it's only 8 am. If Nova wins the NC, the parade needs to be on Lancaster Avenue in the Main Line, not Broad Street in Philly.

That's quite the list. Don't forget Chicks in Cherry Hill.

Never been to Max's.
Max's is in a sketchy part of the city, well north of Temple but they're fantastic. I'd add Steve's in Center City and Dalessandro's in Roxborough/Manayunk in NW Philly. Rocco's in Camden is supposed to be very good as well on the South Jersey side of the bridge.

If you are looking for a place like Rafferty’s, the classic Villanova equivalent is Gullifty’s. It is on Lancaster Pike very close to the University - a 2 minute drive or 10 minute (max) walk. THE college bar for Villanova was always Kelly’s, the local cheap dive bar similar Olde Queens, Knight Club, Scarlet Pub. However, now they have redone it including a second floor. I haven’t been inside (can’t bring myself to) but it looks much more family friendly. No idea what the new college bar is for Villanova.

If you are a beer/bourbon/scotch enthusiast, you MUST go to Teresa’s Next Door in Wayne. Unique and excellent beer selection including some very rare Belgian beers as House taps. Not for sports though- no TVs - more upscale place than the others but tables for the family. Just be sure go to the bar side. I recommend the Hobbit ribs there.

PS - if you plan to go for the game on either night I suggest you go early to Gullifty’s or probably Kelly’s because they probably be jammed.

That's quite the list. Don't forget Chicks in Cherry Hill.

Never been to Max's.
Carrying 2 whole cheesesteaks from Max's is like carrying an infant. And it's like going to Donkeys: you're good as long as you don't act like an ass.

Speaking of acting like asses, the people at Max's are nice than nice. And you dont need to talk a special language to order your food like you do for the assholes at the 2 tourist traps in South Philly.

Let me second DiNics at Reading terminal. I'd recommend the roast pork. The line is always long, but it moves quickly.

If you want an in-city college tour, just walk through Penn campus. Its very pretty, small and easy to get to. Drexel is adjacent to Penn.

Villanova is on the main line and is a pain to get to. I wouldn't recommend taking the time.
What's the spot in Reading Terminal where they serve Gator? I had that and it was interesting and I'd now try it again lol. But if they have a place that serve Gator, I'm sure theres other spots that serve other meats like elk.

And you can go to visit the most decorated battleship in U.S. naval history. That's right the battleship with N.J.'s name attached to it , good old BB62.
So sounds like Nova is a place to visit and check out but not spend extended time to eat etc

And you can go to visit the most decorated battleship in U.S. naval history. That's right the battleship with N.J.'s name attached to it , good old BB62.
And it's too bad that they're going to knock down one of the better minor league stadiums around for another Norcross project. Even as a Mets fan, I wish the Phillies (only MLB org able to do so since they own the territory) wouldve been able to get their Single A team to play at Campbells Field. Still have plenty of suites, plenty of parking, and a great functioning stadium to play in.

Reactions: goru1869
If you are looking for a place like Rafferty’s, the classic Villanova equivalent is Gullifty’s. It is on Lancaster Pike very close to the University - a 2 minute drive or 10 minute (max) walk. THE college bar for Villanova was always Kelly’s, the local cheap dive bar similar Olde Queens, Knight Club, Scarlet Pub. However, now they have redone it including a second floor. I haven’t been inside (can’t bring myself to) but it looks much more family friendly. No idea what the new college bar is for Villanova.

If you are a beer/bourbon/scotch enthusiast, you MUST go to Teresa’s Next Door in Wayne. Unique and excellent beer selection including some very rare Belgian beers as House taps. Not for sports though- no TVs - more upscale place than the others but tables for the family. Just be sure go to the bar side. I recommend the Hobbit ribs there.

PS - if you plan to go for the game on either night I suggest you go early to Gullifty’s or probably Kelly’s because they probably be jammed.
A little down the street was a total dive called Roache & O'Brien's, which we called Roach's, obviously. Had my first underage drinking in a bar experience there while visiting a friend at Haverford. A friend of his was celebrating his 20th birthday, and the bartender actually said, "Happy 20th" while serving him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT