ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Voting by mail (oh well, political)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Middlesex County Board of Elections website:

"Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all active registered Middlesex County voters will automatically receive a Vote By Mail ballot for November’s general election, as per Governor Murphy’s Executive Order 177. A limited number of in-person polling locations will be available for voters requiring special assistance or for the casting of provisional ballots."

Are you sure that they even get counted?
No, in fact there are places in other states where they don't even count the provisional ballots unless the vote is close enough for the provisionals to make a difference. That might be different this time though, who knows. However, I have checked my voting history on either the NJ or Middlesex Board of Elections website, and it says my provisional ballots were counted. While we're on the topic, how do we know that our votes in the machines are even counted? I've always found it a bit odd that they don't print out a receipt or any kind of confirmation that your vote went through.

Here is the link describing provisional ballots: https://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/vote-provisional-ballot.shtml

"You MUST Vote by Provisional Ballot if:
  • You are a registered voter in the County who moved within the County and did not notify the County Commissioner of Registration before election day of your current address; or
  • Your registration information is not complete in the poll book, for example your signature or address is missing; or
  • You are an Active Need ID voter who has not provided identification information; or
  • There is a marking in the poll book that you applied for a mail-in ballot, but you tell the board worker:
    • you did not apply for one; or
    • you applied for a mail in ballot, but did not receive it; or
    • you received it, but did not return it."

It's the last two sub-bullets that are important. As every registered NJ voter will be sent a mail in ballot.... if you show at a polling place, you are saying you either a) never received one, or b) received it but did not return it. You will not be able to go to a voting location and pull a lever, but will submit a provisional ballot that must then be investigated after the election.

Once mail in ballots have been counted, provisional ballots will then be reviewed. This won't be for several days after the election, as NJ allows mail in ballots to be postmarked as of the day of the election. At that time, there will be a determination made for each provisional ballot on whether it will or will not be counted.

If you already submitted a mail in ballot and then also submit a provisional ballot, that is a crime under
NJ statutes 19:34-11 and 19:34-12. https://nj.gov/state/dos-statutes-elections-19-31-39.shtml#ele_19_34_11

Mail-in voting means that someone else will see who you are voting for, and then you will depend on that person to count your vote. For that reason I will go to the polls.

That's not what it means or how it works, and if you're in NJ and go to the polls you're essentially going through the same process anyway because you'll be filling out a paper ballot with your name on it.

Reactions: Greg2020
In NJ, mail in ballots ARE absentee ballots -- they're absolutely tied to an identity and are not anonymous

Absentee ballots are requested. The mail-ins are sent automatically to "registered voters" (which can mean a lot of things because people can be registered to vote in NJ despite having moved/died years ago). In my state a voter isn't considered "inactive" until they've missed voting for 5 years. The voter rolls are known to be a neglected mess.

This automatic ballot thing is sketchy - especially considering the absentee ballot option is in place and easy.

"All of the state’s active registered voters will automatically receive ballots in the mail ..."

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised....

but, I'm totally surprised how so many people don't understand the difference between requesting an absentee ballot and mass-mailing, un-requested, but mandatory acceptable mail-in ballots....

This whole thing seems like a mess and its gonna be a $hit show. By reading some of this thread basically you can only vote by mail in you live in NJ and want your vote to count on election day. If you dont vote by mail you may be able to do a provisional ballot and that vote will not be counted until after the election if needed. I just wanna vote in person. I can go to the store, restaurant and even protest but I cant vote in person. Does not make any sense to me. There has to be a reason behind this.

Reactions: ashokan
Voting by mail in a national pandemic is a very good thing. It’s good for everyone especially those over 60 who are concerned about getting sick. Voting by mail will have a great impact on voter turnout as this election will probably have a huge voter turnout. That is a win win for everyone.

This whole thing seems like a mess and its gonna be a $hit show. By reading some of this thread basically you can only vote by mail in you live in NJ and want your vote to count on election day. If you dont vote by mail you may be able to do a provisional ballot and that vote will not be counted until after the election if needed. I just wanna vote in person. I can go to the store, restaurant and even protest but I cant vote in person. Does not make any sense to me. There has to be a reason behind this.
The reason is Murphy. In reality it doesn’t matter since NJ will go Dem anyway

I’ll be making a provisional vote. If in the end the outcomes of the local, state and national races can’t possibly be affected by the provisional vote counts, then I couldn’t are less if they tally my votes. It won’t matter to me if my uncounted vote means my candidates would have won by one more vote more or lost by one vote less.

Voting by mail in a national pandemic is a very good thing. It’s good for everyone especially those over 60 who are concerned about getting sick. Voting by mail will have a great impact on voter turnout as this election will probably have a huge voter turnout. That is a win win for everyone.
People always had the option to vote by mail. The problem is mailing ballots to anyone and everyone dead or alive and who is filling them out and who is controlling and counting them. Here is no way to insure the vote is legit

I think you misinterpreted what I said. That was in some other state. The provisional ballots I have cast were in fact counted. Also there is no "may be able to do a provisional ballot," everyone can do that if they don't want to vote by mail.

People always had the option to vote by mail. The problem is mailing ballots to anyone and everyone dead or alive and who is filling them out and who is controlling and counting them. Here is no way to insure the vote is legit
I don’t believe that one bit. Voting by mail is the safest way to go and will allow a big turnout to decide who will be President. This method is literally saving lives all over this Country and that’s very important or it should be. I’m very happy my mother and my uncles and aunts can now mail there ballot in and not risk infection.

Apparently nationwide, as I received the postcard here in Washington and we've voted only mail-in ballot for years. Have to add, no problems with voter fraud.
Yes just saw this:

The United States Postal Service was accused Friday of misleading American voters in mailing the same postcard about absentee voting to all Americans despite variances among how states are choosing to conduct their November election.

Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold, a Democrat, said Friday that the USPS postcard was inaccurate and could be "confusing" to voters.

"I just found out the @USPS is sending this postcard to every household and PO Box in the nation. For states like Colorado where we send ballots to all voters, the information is not just confusing, it's WRONG," Griswold said in a tweet late Friday.

The nationwide USPS mailer encourages voters to plan ahead if they decide to cast their ballot by mail. While the postcard says "rules and dates vary by state" and encourages voters to find individual state policies online, it tells voters to "request their mail-in-ballot" at least 15 days prior to Election Day, echoing its previous guidance from July.

There are many voters who are just as pissed that they have had their choice manipulated by Murphy. I have spoken to people who are involved with the election and there is a backlash about having polling stations limited and in in some instances non existent. Why the hell would people have to travel to a regional center such as the Prudential Center ? That is totally absurd ... How do think that would play out in this day and age... Any chance of intimidation or conflict in Newark? How about attempting to find nearby parking.. and like I said ...simply one’s safety... most agree that there is a great chance of miscounts and fraudulent ballots which can and have occurred. There is the current pending lawsuit to stop this nonsense and also the questionable theory of the danger to the public and poll personnel. If you call your local main county board office that is how to voice or ask questions.We are being scammed by this governor and his southpaw party in power.
Bullshit!

Bullshit!
Well , let’s hear your reasons ... replying bullshit tells everyone your limited ability to give a lucid disagree opinion... We are able to absorb your nonsense... that is what we have been subjected to here over 4-5 months... keep hating it’s good for you...

Reactions: Postman_1
I don’t believe that one bit. Voting by mail is the safest way to go and will allow a big turnout to decide who will be President. This method is literally saving lives all over this Country and that’s very important or it should be. I’m very happy my mother and my uncles and aunts can now mail there ballot in and not risk infection.
They were already able to vote by mail, just had to send in an application for a mail-in ballot. The difference this time, at least in NJ, is you don't need to request a mail-in ballot, they are sending it to everyone registered.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Is it only Newark residents going to Prudential Center? Do you live in Newark?

i don’t get why polling places have closed and people somehow have to wait 4-6 hours to vote. I wouldn’t vote if it take 1 hour. I guess that’s why some people want to close polling places. They should have enough volunteers to work the polls this election.
It isn't just about volunteers. The volunteers need a place to go to. Judges decided that waiting would not be an undue burden in violation of the voting rights act. As a result the wait time in neighborhoods that are majority black is 3 to 4 times as long. That doesn't include the fact that with reduced polling stations those black voters have to often travel farther to vote.

It isn't just about volunteers. The volunteers need a place to go to. Judges decided that waiting would not be an undue burden in violation of the voting rights act. As a result the wait time in neighborhoods that are majority black is 3 to 4 times as long. That doesn't include the fact that with reduced polling stations those black voters have to often travel farther to vote.
The point is people prefer to vote in the neighborhoods... all changed in 4 months ... all you need to do is call and talk to reps ...problem is most reps avoid speaking because they are gutless...

Reactions: bac2therac
Absentee ballots are requested. The mail-ins are sent automatically to "registered voters" (which can mean a lot of things because people can be registered to vote in NJ despite having moved/died years ago). In my state a voter isn't considered "inactive" until they've missed voting for 5 years. The voter rolls are known to be a neglected mess.

This automatic ballot thing is sketchy - especially considering the absentee ballot option is in place and easy.

"All of the state’s active registered voters will automatically receive ballots in the mail ..."

The term 'absentee ballot' doesn't exist in NJ -- it's always called a 'vote by mail ballot' so in that sense there's no difference whatsoever. Automatic ballots is another issue entirely but the verification between an in-person 'provisional ballot' and a dropped off/mailed 'mail in ballot' is the same process.

I was under the assumption that in NJ all registered voters would automatically get a mail in ballot, mailed to them

yesterday I received a postcard from USPS saying that we should request your mail-in ballot at least 15 days before election day, or those who just did not get it for some reason

Maybe this is for those who are newly here, or not sure if they are registered

still a bit upset that I cannot just go to my polling place and pull the lever..... a big sh@tshow may arise.

anyway, we don't have to request a ballot, correct?
To your original question... the USPS, under the direction of Postmaster General De Joy, sent out a "one size fits all" postcard for national distribution. In some states it is correct. In others it is misleading. In others, such as NJ, it is flat-out wrong.

I leave to you to opine on whether this decision was driven by incompetence or by malevolence. I don't think there is a Choice C.

Anyway, just ignore it. If you are a registered NJ voter and are still at your address of last record, you'll receive a ballot.

They were already able to vote by mail, just had to send in an application for a mail-in ballot. The difference this time, at least in NJ, is you don't need to request a mail-in ballot, they are sending it to everyone registered.
Si eso es muy bueno!!!

To your original question... the USPS, under the direction of Postmaster General De Joy, sent out a "one size fits all" postcard for national distribution. In some states it is correct. In others it is misleading. In others, such as NJ, it is flat-out wrong.

I leave to you to opine on whether this decision was driven by incompetence or by malevolence. I don't think there is a Choice C.

Anyway, just ignore it. If you are a registered NJ voter and are still at your address of last record, you'll receive a ballot.

At last, a full explanation.
Thank you

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I have not read a single post in this thread (on purpose) but I’m guessing it got highly political! [roll]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT