ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Voting by mail (oh well, political)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that what we have been doing for years?

I love getting that thing in the mail...all the candidates (and the office they are running for) listed and the questions too. I never go in blind.

I didn't quite finish my thought. With all the materials on the table, I cast my ballot and pop it in the mail. Been doing this for about 10 years.

Reactions: Greg2020
Utah also has gone to only vote by mail. A very conservative state. No problems there. This should not be a partisan issue.
There's a difference between "vote by mail" meaning absentee ballot you request or ballot going only to known voter addresses and having to be mailed and processed in time for the election day count... and "vote by mail" meaning sending ballots to all addresses for whatever names were once valid there.. allowing illegals and foreign nationals and felons and former felons to vote.. and allow ballot harvesting where people "help" people vote.. or worse..

Dems are against voter ID.. Dems are against a census question about citizenship.. basically, Dems are for illegal voters. Maybe we should just let the UN decide all issues for us if we cannot rely on Americans doing the voting.. one person, one vote. Let's just cut to the chase.

There's a difference between "vote by mail" meaning absentee ballot you request or ballot going only to known voter addresses and having to be mailed and processed in time for the election day count... and "vote by mail" meaning sending ballots to all addresses for whatever names were once valid there.. allowing illegals and foreign nationals and felons and former felons to vote.. and allow ballot harvesting where people "help" people vote.. or worse..

Dems are against voter ID.. Dems are against a census question about citizenship.. basically, Dems are for illegal voters. Maybe we should just let the UN decide all issues for us if we cannot rely on Americans doing the voting.. one person, one vote. Let's just cut to the chase.
the constitution is against a citizenship question for the census. Why do you hate our constitution so much? If you are so into one person one vote I assume you want the abolition of the senate and the electoral college then right, or is it what's good for me not for thee?

the constitution is against a citizenship question for the census. Why do you hate our constitution so much? If you are so into one person one vote I assume you want the abolition of the senate and the electoral college then right, or is it what's good for me not for thee?

When someone says "Why do you hate our......" we know they are not serious and just playing the role of a fool.

the Record had this in the paper this morning, including deadlines for various voting issues:

ELECTIONS
Dates to remember if you plan to vote in the 2020 presidential election in NJ
Katie Sobko
NorthJersey.com

Voters throughout the state will need to keep an eye on their mailboxes as they prepare for this fall’s general election. Gov. Phil Murphy announced the election will be held in a similar format to July’s primary, where all registered voters received a ballot at home.
Registered voters may fill out the ballot and return it by mail, or vote in-person provisionally at their polling place. The mail-in ballots sent to all registered voters will include prepaid return postage. There will be no sample ballots.
Voters who do not want to mail their ballot may deposit it in a secure drop box or turn it in at a polling place on Election Day, Nov. 3.
Here are a few key dates New Jersey voters should be aware of:
  • Sept. 4: Online voter registration form opens.
  • Sept. 19: Commencement of mailing of mail-in ballots
  • Oct. 5: County officials deadline to mail ballots
  • Oct. 13: Voter registration deadline
  • Nov. 3: General Election. Polling locations are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Nov. 3: County officials begin counting votes
  • Nov. 3: Deadline for post office receipt of mail-in ballots
  • Nov. 3: Deadline for in-person submission of mail-in ballots
  • Nov. 5: Deadline for mailed ballots to be received without a postmark “due to postal error.”
  • Nov. 10: Deadline for mailed ballots to be received with a postmark.
  • Nov. 20: Election results must be certified. No extensions will be given

Reactions: Phi_1055
the Record had this in the paper this morning, including deadlines for various voting issues:

ELECTIONS
Dates to remember if you plan to vote in the 2020 presidential election in NJ
Katie Sobko
NorthJersey.com

Voters throughout the state will need to keep an eye on their mailboxes as they prepare for this fall’s general election. Gov. Phil Murphy announced the election will be held in a similar format to July’s primary, where all registered voters received a ballot at home.
Registered voters may fill out the ballot and return it by mail, or vote in-person provisionally at their polling place. The mail-in ballots sent to all registered voters will include prepaid return postage. There will be no sample ballots.
Voters who do not want to mail their ballot may deposit it in a secure drop box or turn it in at a polling place on Election Day, Nov. 3.
Here are a few key dates New Jersey voters should be aware of:
  • Sept. 4: Online voter registration form opens.
  • Sept. 19: Commencement of mailing of mail-in ballots
  • Oct. 5: County officials deadline to mail ballots
  • Oct. 13: Voter registration deadline
  • Nov. 3: General Election. Polling locations are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Nov. 3: County officials begin counting votes
  • Nov. 3: Deadline for in-person submission of mail-in ballots
  • Nov. 5: Deadline for mailed ballots to be received without a postmark “due to postal error.”
  • Nov. 20: Election results must be certified. No extensions will be given

17 days after election day, pathetic.

When will people start to receive the ballots on the mail, in NJ?

am confused with these two deadlines:

Utah has universal vote by mail. They send a ballot to ever registered voter. The system you are describing does not exist and will not exist anywhere. As usual you have no clue what you're talking about.

The census question about citizenship has nothing to do with voting, but nice try. You live in a delusional fantasyland of made up grievances promoted by a faction that has a vested interest in suppressing the vote.

The census question about citizenship has nothing to do with voting, but nice try. You live in a delusional fantasyland of made up grievances promoted by a faction that has a vested interest in suppressing the vote.

you can accuse some want votes suppressed, which is a favorite theme of the dems.

but there are a lot of problems with mail in voting, and I can give you today's example.... just one little random one in the news:

so, votes can get lost, not counted.....if a ballot box is discovered, but your candidate won a squeaker, maybe you don't turn it in....but if your guy lost, hey, turn it in, you never know

am confused with these two deadlines:

You have to get your ballot mailed and postmarked by November 3. NJ then allows one week for transmission. It must be received by the county elections office by November 10.

So if the postal service has deteriorated to the point where it takes over a week for your mailed ballot to arrive at the county office, you could be screwed. The way to avoid this is to mail early. Or better yet, use a designated Dropbox as I plan to do.

you can accuse some want votes suppressed, which is a favorite theme of the dems.

but there are a lot of problems with mail in voting, and I can give you today's example.... just one little random one in the news:

so, it can be just as bad losing votes, no?

Problems happen with machine voting too. Problems happen in every election under any system. They are almost always little more than a rounding error. Every single election in recent memory features anecdotes like the one you posted. There is no objective sense in which VBM is less secure, less fair, or less legitimate than machine voting. Drive to your frigging polling place and hand your ballot to a poll worker if you NEED the ritual (which is all it is) of going to your polling place.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Greg2020
You have to get your ballot mailed and postmarked by November 3. NJ then allows one week for transmission. It must be received by the county elections office by November 10.

So if the postal service has deteriorated to the point where it takes over a week for your mailed ballot to arrive at the county office, you could be screwed. The way to avoid this is to mail early. Or better yet, use a designated Dropbox as I plan to do.

Where will the drop boxes be located and will they be protected.

Vote from home opens up tons of cans of worms for potential and likely fraud.

But, for those saying no big deal now, you must accept the results without any complaints

I'm keeping a list

Last edited:
I thought there could still be problems turning it in at the polls.

I can almost guarantee that, if this election is anyway close, there is going to be chaos BECAUSE of the mail in voting..... at least with the machines, once you get to 100% reported, it is usually
the end of it.....maybe a recount if very very close, which is fine.

but here, we can have missing ballot boxes, possible not turning them in on purpose if in the hands of one party or the other...

votes not being counted because the person did not sign the outer envelope,

the vote denied because the signature did not seem to match exactly,

did not use the correct allowed colors of ink,

did not fully fill in the circle,

the post office did not turn the
ballot in time, but you did give it to them in time....

you don't have most of those problems when you show up and vote in person with the machines.

I could argue that the net result is suppressed more with mail in.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Huh? Paterson ballot harvesting, for example?

It seems like NJ gets things right because the Dems run everything and they win everywhere they are in control. That doesn't mean they get it right.. just means they reliably produce the expected results.

Yeah...compared to actual fraud in NC where they have to re-run elections or WI where they caused an outbreak by forcing voting during an election.

I can almost guarantee that, if this election is anyway close, there is going to be chaos BECAUSE of the mail in voting..... at least with the machines, once you get to 100% reported, it is usually

but here, we can have missing ballot boxes, possible not turning them in on purpose if in the hands of one party or the other...

you don't have most of those problems when you show up and vote in person with the machines.

I could argue that the net result is suppressed more with mail in.
[/QUOTE]

Google "voting machine changed votes." Voting machines malfunction, misrecord votes, etc. It happens ALL The time. Some degree of error/ballot loss is an inevitable part of an election involving 100 million ballots. This is pure nonsense and hysteria being deliberately stoked by Trump and his useful dupes.

There are already states with universal mail in voting that don't seem to have the problems you describe.

Google "voting machine changed votes." Voting machines malfunction, misrecord votes, etc. It happens ALL The time. Some degree of error/ballot loss is an inevitable part of an election involving 100 million ballots. This is pure nonsense and hysteria being deliberately stoked by Trump and his useful dupes.

There are already states with universal mail in voting that don't seem to have the problems you describe.
[/QUOTE]

there are articles out today about USPS delivery problems...

we will have a lot of voters required to mail in ballots that never did it before and we will see rejected and lost and late ballots

I still contend that we probably wind up with less legitimate
votes than normal..... and the most denied votes ever

so, we shall see..... what they should have done in Jersey is to allow us to vote with the machines if we wanted to...there was no reason to force the mail in, and certainly, do it with little public education...

so, votes can get lost, not counted.....if a ballot box is discovered, but your candidate won a squeaker, maybe you don't turn it in....but if your guy lost, hey, turn it in, you never know

And voting machines malfunction, and polling places are closed so people have to wait for hours and we have hanging chads.

So there is only one real reason to not like vote by mail and that is because it increases turnout.

And voting machines malfunction, and polling places are closed so people have to wait for hours and we have hanging chads.

So there is only one real reason to not like vote by mail and that is because it increases turnout.

no, the true test is if there are a lot of denied and/or lost votes, or purposeful mishandling of them for political purposes

Reactions: RUBOB72
“ hanging chads” ... tom1944 must be thinking of his days as a paper hanger...less problems with reported machine malfunctioning over many years of poll voting...

I could argue that the net result is suppressed more with mail in.

In NJ at least, if a ballot is determined to be out of good order, the voter is given the opportunity to cure the deficiency. Time will no doubt be a factor though.

Which brings me to my biggest concern about mail-in voting in NJ and elsewhere. They don't start counting the vote until Election Day! I have no idea why they don't keep a running count. As a result, the vote count will trickle in for days after Election Day. Those whose game plan is to create chaos, will have ample opportunity to do so.

Just out of curiosity. What is the process for validating mail in ballot signatures? And I understand the validation process at polling places is far from perfect.

In NJ at least, if a ballot is determined to be out of good order, the voter is given the opportunity to cure the deficiency. Time will no doubt be a factor though.

Which brings me to my biggest concern about mail-in voting in NJ and elsewhere. They don't start counting the vote until Election Day! I have no idea why they don't keep a running count. As a result, the vote count will trickle in for days after Election Day. Those whose game plan is to create chaos, will have ample opportunity to do so.

I'd rather it trickle out after the election than before the election. Don't need either side proclaiming victory because results are leaking out 4 days before the election.

Take the signature provided on the mail in ballot and compare it for accuracy to the signature on file in the voting book
Fascinating. Hope providing that informational gem didn’t drag you away from your coloring book.

I'd rather it trickle out after the election than before the election. Don't need either side proclaiming victory because results are leaking out 4 days before the election.
But some states do allow early counting of mail/absentee votes, with no apparent issues.

Here is the policy on early vote counting in seven key battleground states:

ARIZONA - Vote counting can begin two weeks before Election Day. Early release of results is a felony.

FLORIDA - Vote counting can begin three weeks before Election Day. Early release of results is a felony.

GEORGIA - Signature verification can begin as soon as votes are received. But actual counting cannot begin until 7:00 AM Election Day.

MICHIGAN - Signature verification and vote counting cannot begin until Election Day, before the polls close at the discretion of the local jurisdiction.

NORTH CAROLINA - Signature verification can begin five weeks before Election Day. Vote count can begin two weeks before Election Day.

PENNSYLVANIA - Signature verification and vote counting begins at 7:00 AM on Election Day.

WISCONSIN - Signature verification and vote counting begins after the polls open on Election Day.

But some states do allow early counting of mail/absentee votes, with no apparent issues.

Here is the policy on early vote counting in seven key battleground states:

ARIZONA - Vote counting can begin two weeks before Election Day. Early release of results is a felony.

FLORIDA - Vote counting can begin three weeks before Election Day. Early release of results is a felony.

GEORGIA - Signature verification can begin as soon as votes are received. But actual counting cannot begin until 7:00 AM Election Day.

MICHIGAN - Signature verification and vote counting cannot begin until Election Day, before the polls close at the discretion of the local jurisdiction.

NORTH CAROLINA - Signature verification can begin five weeks before Election Day. Vote count can begin two weeks before Election Day.

PENNSYLVANIA - Signature verification and vote counting begins at 7:00 AM on Election Day.

WISCONSIN - Signature verification and vote counting begins after the polls open on Election Day.

there is good and bad with voting up to 3 weeks before the election...... some may feel pressured to vote that early, to get their vote in, but events happening in the last couple of weeks could change peoples minds...

not sure if any of the debates are within the last three weeks, if so, people have already voted and cannot factor in

there is good and bad with voting up to 3 weeks before the election...... some may feel pressured to vote that early, to get their vote in, but events happening in the last couple of weeks could change peoples minds...

not sure if any of the debates are within the last three weeks, if so, people have already voted and cannot factor in
You can vote a lot earlier than three weeks before Election Day in many states. North Carolina has already sent out ballots.

no, the true test is if there are a lot of denied and/or lost votes, or purposeful mishandling of them for political purposes
What concerns you more making it difficult to vote by closing polling places or extending vote by mail

Reactions: Kbee3
What concerns you more making it difficult to vote by closing polling places or extending vote by mail

I do not think polling places should be closed unless the polling place has been studied, and found not to be needed, and another nearby polling place can take those citizens easily without lines,etc

the voting by mail is more concerning, because it will invite fraud, and both political parties will attempt to harvest mail ballots...

I have mentioned several times that there are at least 3 or 4 ways your mail in vote might not be counted.....this should be concerning to everyone

an
older senior citizen, or a first time voter will make the mistakes I mentioned before, and votes won't be counted.

the best solution is to allow voters to choose.

I disagree with you this is a material difference. In any event, officials must match returned ballots to voter registration rolls - including checking signatures. Ballots are not (or should not) go to anyone not eligible to vote.

I might be fine with just the voter ID question, but it's been clear for years the GOP wants fewer people to vote, so the poor might as well not even try.

NJ intends to begin counting mail in ballots 10 days prior to election day, and they are being sued over it.

In Mercer County, where I live, the website says
1. Mail in your ballot
2. Drop your ballot off at one of 5 ballot boxes around the coumty
3. Give it to someone at your local polling site
4. Vote in person ONLY if you are disabled and request in advance
5. Request a provisional ballot on electionday which may or may not be counted because there is a lot of scrutiny on them to be sure you are who the ballot says you are and to be sure you didn't vote by mail

There is NO voting with a machine in NJ this year

It says everyone has the option to vote in person on their website which is what I understood it to be

It says everyone has the option to vote in person on their website which is what I understood it to be

from the NJ.GOV website that you posted:

Any voter who chooses to cast their vote in-person will do so on a provisional ballot. Individuals with disabilities will have access to an ADA-conforming voting machine. Each municipality will be required to open at least one in-person polling site, and all counties must ensure that at least 50 percent of their total polling places are open.

From the Mercer County website:

"voting in person" is turning in your paper ballot to a poll taker. no machines will be in use except for individuals that require ADA assistance.

Please Note: The Polling Machines are for Registered Voters that require ADA Assistance. A Certificate of Disability MUST be filled out at the polling location on Election Day.

All Registered Voters will receive a Mail-In-Ballot that can be placed in a drop box at any one of the five (5) locations (see below), mailed, or hand delivered at the polling location on November 3 from 5:15 am-8:00 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT