ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Washington's new knickname?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
Looks like "Warriors" is currently the leader.
But, I also read "Red Tails" as a possibility. Although this may well have some positive reference to Native Americans, it was also the knickname of the Black WWII pilots which had their plane's tails painted red.

In other news, North Dakota is in the middle of a plan to change all their state highway signs from the one on the left to the one on the right.

The silhouette is of an actual person. Marcellus "Red" Tomahawk. Interesting story in that the signs were created to honor.

https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news...can-imagery-from-highway-signs-387855012.html

north-dakota-state-highway-signs-highway-road-traffic-signs-include-north-dakota-state-highway-number-indian-chief-outline-117762916.jpg

Nicknames often are meant to honor someone, people, or thing, that get a positive reaction. Look at Notre Dame, with “Fighting Irish”. I’m sure it is a reason, why they have a large national following.

Redtails also allows for the team to better keep their color scheme, which I understand they want to do...I saw somewhere a potential logo on twitter as well of a W inside a wings pic

I'm not one to judge what offends others, but I always thought the Redskins logo was very dignified and noble looking. The name...I can see how that could offend, but the logo was great.

Nicknames often are meant to honor someone, people, or thing, that get a positive reaction. Look at Notre Dame, with “Fighting Irish”. I’m sure it is a reason, why they have a large national following.
No doubt about it. Half their followers couldn't tell you where the school is located but they all have some BS story about how Grandpa said a Hail Mary over a baked potato once and suddenly his life got better.

That feels like it discriminates against people who have tails ...or want to genetically modify themselves that way.

Maybe furries, too.

Reactions: mdh2003
No doubt about it. Half their followers couldn't tell you where the school is located but they all have some BS story about how Grandpa said a Hail Mary over a baked potato once and suddenly his life got better.
By the way I’m first generation Irish, and my grandfather was a tenant farmer.

Combine that with a few wins and you have a recipe for a large bandwagon.

Oh well, won't miss FI should it ever get dropped as the nickname...maybe they'll follow in Dartmouth's footsteps and adopt Big Green to save their color scheme, or better yet, Green Wave(copying Tulane) for the green & blue.

Red tail is a type of hawk. It's the most common hawk in America and a pretty cool one to boot. It would make a fine name.
Just call them the Baboons
A popular meme contains a picture with several baboons playing in the snow captioned: "Did you know that a large group of baboons is called a Congress?"
The meme might be untrue, but still would represent the way members of the HOR and Senate act at times and be a great name.

Would be tough to keep the color scheme. A red tail has a "rufous" tail which is an orange red. But the only people who would notice would be hawk enthusiasts all 100 of them. LOL

Reactions: oncampus
Just call them the Baboons
A popular meme contains a picture with several baboons playing in the snow captioned: "Did you know that a large group of baboons is called a Congress?"
The meme might be untrue, but still would represent the way members of the HOR and Senate act at times and be a great name.
The meme is untrue. A large group of salamanders is called a congress, but not of baboons.

And no, the Washington Baboons would NOT be a great name. It really, really would not. Please trust me on that one.

Warriors ain't happening

Redtails likely (the R, ties to black history and 2-syllables make it a top-contender).

Bravehearts was also on the table.

Griffins will make final cut.

Renegades will be considered (for the R), but too many syllables to fit with fight-song (which is important).

847a2197282135.5ec1ad89e5357.png

Last edited:
Reactions: biker7766
ESPN has reported that the team will use no Native American imagery. Whether that rules out Warriors, I cannot say.
It’s nothing like the Cleveland Indians Chief Wahoo image. This one or the helmet design.

Are the Blackhawks and the Chiefs on the chopping block next? LOL

The meme is untrue. A large group of salamanders is called a congress, but not of baboons.

And no, the Washington Baboons would NOT be a great name. It really, really would not. Please trust me on that one.
How about Squirrels
terrydonnellySquirrels-36-1410x793.jpg

Synder must have saw the big bucks he's about to make to cave so quickly. Thank God my team's named after a mythical beast.

Synder must have saw the big bucks he's about to make to cave so quickly.
The name, sure.

The colors and generic image (could be an arrow or a spear) I put up before, come on.

Might as well call them the Fonzies with an image of him jumping a shark on the helmet. That way they get two logos.

Reactions: koleszar
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT