ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Washington's new knickname?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got the statue thing, but whatever. I mean who gets a statue for at best the silver medal and at worse, LOSING. LOL

What I do have an issue (as I have said numerous times on in the old CE Board) with is the naming of US Army facilities after this group.

And don’t come at me with the healing thing as that part was done as @GoodOl'Rutgers said earlier. The oldest one of these places was named around the end of WWI. Over 50yrs AFTER the Civil War.
I will make an exception for Fort Bragg. Braxton Bragg was such an incompetent general, he unwittingly did as much to foster the Union cause as anyone. So maybe he does deserve the honor.

You just summed up the POV of the emotional left. Please put your emotions aside and think logically. "Despicable" is subjective term. Define it in the context of the person's time and you will do well.

Our FFs deserve statues and remembrance. They lit the spark of freedom and equality that has burned and grown for the past 250 years.
You're flailing a bit now, t. Deep breaths before posting.

Equality? For whom?

Here's what you need to work on. The FF rebelled against being told what to do by someone else. They thought for themselves. That is what the right has so much trouble with. You want there to be absolutes, in the FF, the Constitution, for some, the Bible. But there aren't absolutes, sorry. At the end of the day, you have to think for yourself, and that can be hard, and troubling. But give it a try. You might surprise yourself.

But, I love: "They deserve statues...."

What's this "we" you are talking about?

THEIR people erected statues to remember them and their sacrifices for their states, their people. It has nothing to do with "we".

"We", the victorious Union forces forgave them. Allowed them to go home to live. After a time we allowed them to run their towns and states too.. (all of them Democrats). And they erected statues for their own reasons.

"We" did that because that is how you unify a nation and make it capable of helping win two world wars.

What's happening now.. and against MORE than confederate statues.. is vigilantism against people who have been dead more than a century and it is also promoting anarchy.

If "we" want the statues down, go through a legal process to get them removed. You can still do it.. but it takes a little work. How about doing that?
Read up on when those statues were erected and why. You might be surprised.

I move that the 11 states that make up the former Confederate states of America change their names. It was under that name that they united in a union to oppose the United States and defend their rights, one of which was to own and traffic human beings as slaves.
So Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas it's your move.

It's the start of the silly season and Colbert takes the lead.

Last edited:
Read up on when those statues were erected and why. You might be surprised.

He'll be surprised that many went up as the civil rights movement started or initially at the advent of jim crow laws in the south in the early 1900's. What a coincidence.

Georgia and South Carolina added the confederate flag to their state capitols in 1956 and 1960....what a BIG coincidence.

Last edited:

Equality? For whom?

Here's what you need to work on. The FF rebelled against being told what to do by someone else. They thought for themselves. That is what the right has so much trouble with. You want there to be absolutes, in the FF, the Constitution, for some, the Bible. But there aren't absolutes, sorry. At the end of the day, you have to think for yourself, and that can be hard, and troubling. But give it a try. You might surprise yourself.

Wow, calm down. Put your emotions aside and steady yourself. The radicalism of the AR is well research and studied. Prior to our FFs, the concept of equality was non-existent. Please read some books and learn about our nation's history.

Equality? For whom?

Since we’re on a sports themed message board I’ll go with the idea/analogy the Founding Fathers created a new game and set the rules for it.

With the Constitution the rule book. And since it was such a new game that no one had really ever seen before changes (amendments) had to be made while the game itself was actually being played. Tough thing to do if you ask me.

That being said, they made the rules so taking your ball and going home because you don’t like the rules or how the game is played like the Confederacy did was IMO wrong.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
He'll be surprised that many went up as the civil rights movement started or initially at the advent of jim crow laws in the south in the early 1900's. What a coincidence.
And as I pointed out the naming of the Army base’s happened more than 50yrs after the Civil War.

So spare me the “healing” aspect of it.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Since we’re on a sports themed message board I’ll go with the idea/analogy the Founding Fathers created a new game and set the rules for it.

With the Constitution the rule book. And since it was such a new game that no one had really ever seen before changes (amendments) had to be made while the game itself was actually being played. Tough thing to do if you ask me.
Hits the nail on the head. Skillet is old, but maybe he can still learn some new things.

Wow, calm down. Put your emotions aside and steady yourself. The radicalism of the AR is well research and studied. Prior to our FFs, the concept of equality was non-existent. Please read some books and learn about our nation's history.
t, that's your best? Rank imitation? Surely you can do better than that!

But that attempt pales in comparison to the substance of your post.

"Prior to our FFs, the concept of equality was non-existent." This is perhaps, the silliest thing ever posted on this board, and that, young friend, is a high bar. What, did you only take American history? The notion of equality in a citizenry is well over 2000 years older than the founding of our country. Goodness. And even that is just among societies that had recorded history.

Reactions: Greg2020

That being said, they made the rules so taking your ball and going home because you don’t like the rules or how the game is played like the Confederacy did was IMO wrong.
They did indeed. And it was a tough thing to do. And we should honor them for all the great things they did, and they were many. But we shouldn't turn the FF into something that they weren't. They weren't perfect. Some held truly objectionable beliefs. And we should never forget that the essence of what they did was to think for themselves. Would that we would do more of that today.

t, that's your best? Rank imitation? Surely you can do better than that!

But that attempt pales in comparison to the substance of your post.

"Prior to our FFs, the concept of equality was non-existent." This is perhaps, the silliest thing ever posted on this board, and that, young friend, is a high bar. What, did you only take American history? The notion of equality in a citizenry is well over 2000 years older than the founding of our country. Goodness. And even that is just among societies that had recorded history.
Still on full tilt I see. Calm down, stop trolling, and get serious. Read some history books and learn. I can provide a list, if needed. What the DoI and our FFs did was the most radical and influential event in civilized history. A true epoch that opened the door to equality. True and lasting equality. 250 years of growth and progress, all thanks to them.

God bless our FFs.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT