ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Watching Doc & Darryl on 30 for 30 now

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
While Strawberry looks pretty much the same, just a bit older, I didn't even recognize Gooden. Maybe i just hadn't seen him in a long time.

A lot of the current interviews done at the same diner where the diner scene in Goodfellas was filmed (in Maspeth , LI, NY). This 30 for 30 directed by comedic director Judd Apatow (Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, etc). He's from Queens.

Last edited:
Those of us who lived in this media market back in the mid 80"s were treated to a double shooting star of talent that was as special and unique as any two players who ever lived. Absolutely electric. Did they cheat us all of what they could have been and should have been? Yup but they hurt themselves more
I am glad they have both come clean about what they did and are both good guys who do a lot of good by just being around .Nobody ,and I mean nobody ,hit more majestic home runs or made more batters look foolish than D and D.

A couple of years ago Doc admitted that in 1985 (his best year) as long as the Mets had a two run lead, he would silently root for them to make outs, because he couldn't wait to get back on the mound.

Strawberry was my favorite player when I was growing up. Loved that swing. I missed the 30 for 30 but I hope he and Dwight have their lives in order now.

Strawberry had the sweetest, smoothest, effortless swing I have ever seen.
Darryl-Strawberry.gif

Reactions: Saint Puppy
Very sad to hear Straw describe his young life living with a very abusive alcoholic father. The odds were stacked against him as he too became a addict. Also very disturbing to hear him describe most of his '86' teammates has drunk and "speed addicted" !

While Strawberry looks pretty much the same, just a bit older, I didn't even recognize Gooden. Maybe i just hadn't seen him in a long time.

A lot of the current interviews done at the same diner where the diner scene in Goodfellas was filmed (in Maspeth , LI, NY). This 30 for 30 directed by comedic director Judd Apatow (Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, etc). He's from Queens.
Same with me but Gooden was worst where he would black out from over dosing mainly on drugs

As a life long Mets fan, I always felt cheated by both of them, once their drug use became public. That 1985- 1990's Mets teams, should have made several appearances to the World Series. They had so much talent, it really is a shame.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Straw was on the Yanks from 95 to 99. Doc was 96-97, I believe. Maybe 95-96. Oh, and Doc came back to NYY in 2000.

As a life long Mets fan, I always felt cheated by both of them, once their drug use became public. That 1985- 1990's Mets teams, should have made several appearances to the World Series. They had so much talent, it really is a shame.
Jon Stewart addressed this in the piece. He said whenever he gets that feeling, he reminds himself that the men themselves lost a lot more than he did as a fan. It's more about them than it is about the fans.

I still can't believe that Mets only won in 86. And that was lucky. They should have won three World Series.

Reactions: tico brown
I still can't believe that Mets only won in 86. And that was lucky. They should have won three World Series.

Well...I think this is a lesson on how hard it is to win. Even when you have the players. Also, this was still before expansion to three divisions with a wild card. The Mets would have been in the playoffs every year from '84 - '90 if that was the format. Finally, they had a great Cardinal team in their division. Again, it's really hard to win at a high level. Agree on paper they should have at least gotten back to The Series but they ran into an extremely hot pitcher in '88. That's baseball.

The special was great and brought back many childhood memories. Daryl looks like he is going to be ok. Doc concerns me.

Last edited:
in the just saying department I met friends at his , at the time, brand new restaurant in Queens/ Long island. Seemed like a good guy, still, worked his room well and was not adverse to sit down, if offerred, and talk baseball. I dont even know if its still there but if not geographically challenged you might want to stop by
It must be a Mets trait as Rusty Staub, , hard to believe 40 years ago, was exactly the same at his rib joint Rustys on the upper east side

Darryl's swing was one of the sweetest and Doc's curve ball was nasty. If both of these guys were dedicated professionals they would have been without doubt hall of famers

Those of us who lived in this media market back in the mid 80"s were treated to a double shooting star of talent that was as special and unique as any two players who ever lived. Absolutely electric. Did they cheat us all of what they could have been and should have been? Yup but they hurt themselves more
I am glad they have both come clean about what they did and are both good guys who do a lot of good by just being around .Nobody ,and I mean nobody ,hit more majestic home runs or made more batters look foolish than D and D.

Electric is the exact way to describe it - loved seeing the top of that lineup - Dykstra, Backman, Hernandez, Carter - but there was nothing like the anticipation and 'electricity' of seeing Strawberry up. And agree his swing was so fluid and beautiful. Looked like he wasnt even trying and a ball would go 450 feet.

I remember I used to go to one game a year with my dad and I would start tracking the rotation months before and then constantly readjusting my projections and thinking of all the ways that it could land on Gooden. He was just so spectacular - '84 and '85 was just so crazily dominating - he bought so much equity with me for those 2 years that for years and years after that I would just get excited when he was pitching. Nothing like it.

How many times did each of these guys get suspended? I don't think I ever remember 2 players getting suspended so much - it seemed like all the time. Either way heartbreaking at that age to watch 2 young guys on my favorite team, who both showed potential to be all time greats, fall as much as they did.

30 for 30. What does the title of that show imply?
It was originally supposed to be 30 intriguing stories from the 30 years ESPN had been on the air at that time (2009 when the show debuted.) The show proved so popular that they didn't stop at 30. I guess they could rename the show 79 for 37 now.

Just saw it. Sad but hopeful. Both Darryl and Doc had difficult childhoods, but in very different senses. Darryl was abused physically. Doc was pushed very aggressively into sports by his father, much like Tiger Woods, and missed out on a normal childhood development. Both experiences may have been factors in their subsequent problems.

It was originally supposed to be 30 intriguing stories from the 30 years ESPN had been on the air at that time (2009 when the show debuted.) The show proved so popular that they didn't stop at 30. I guess they could rename the show 79 for 37 now.
Thanks

Saw half of it today and then family duty called - definitely want to see the rest. As someone said earlier Doc seemed like he was on something - he couldn't stop moving and was talking a little fast. Hopefully he was clean and maybe that's just how he is these days, but if I were to guess I would say he was on something.

It was sad to watch... It seems like Darryl's faith has helped to restore his life (probably more like restart). I also didn't recognize
Doc when he first appeared on the screen.

I had never heard that story of Doc pitching the no hitter and then going to be with his
Dad who watched it the night before with a tear streaming down his cheek (it was the last game his father got to watch). Very moving.

in the just saying department I met friends at his , at the time, brand new restaurant in Queens/ Long island. Seemed like a good guy, still, worked his room well and was not adverse to sit down, if offerred, and talk baseball. I dont even know if its still there but if not geographically challenged you might want to stop by
It must be a Mets trait as Rusty Staub, , hard to believe 40 years ago, was exactly the same at his rib joint Rustys on the upper east side

I met Rusty at his rib joint back in the 80's. He was as friendly as any player I have met. What stands out to me is that he had the biggest hands I have ever seen. When we shook hands it was like a catcher mitt engulfing mine(and even to this day, biggest hands I remember)

Uncomfortable segment when Darryl was trying to convince Doc that he didn't blow the whistle on him regarding his cocaine use.

Yep. Strawberry was really put together throughout, but that scene had him wiggling. I think he was looking away for more of his comments than actually looking at Doc while he explained it.

Not sure if he still does it but 4-5 yrs ago, Doc was one of the players you could get to hang in your suite at the Yankees games. For those who haven't been part of it, one of the add-on fees for the suite is you can pay (varying rates) to have the players come hang out in your suite for the game and socialize, talk baseball, etc and sign lots of autographs. My boss was nice enough to bring me back a signed ball since I couldnt be at the game.
Considering I'm not a huge car guy, it was a nice treat some years back when I came across Doc signing autographs at the NY Auto Show. I dont think many people realized he would be there and/or paid much attention so you actually got to have some conversation. He seemed upbeat, but still looked a little 'worn down'.

ADVERTISEMENT