ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Light snow to rain event Sunday afternoon into Monday

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Way too early for specifics and there very well be precipitation issues withe rain/snow line but this bears watching as yesterdays GFS and Euro runs are indicating a wintry event

Reactions: Nihdes
The just in GFS was stronger with the system but that means warming cutting back on totals from yesterday. So the model wobbles begin

Reactions: ru2bur
Winter is coming. An unnamed source has a chance of some minor snow for 10 out of 12 days beginning Sunday.

I'll be in Flemington this weekend, so I checked out the weather forecast there. Yes, some wintry precipitation is possible. The highs will be in the 40s until next Wednesday when the high will be only 34. I don't like cold weather, but it seems to me that so far it's been mild for a Jersey winter, and winter after all means cold weather. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.512033849083934&lon=-74.86046316464251#.WEmNHH15aSo
Winter doesn't begin until Dec 21st. We are still in fall...

Reactions: WhiteBus
todays Euro run had mixing and changeover issues for central jersey but some accumulation before that. Higher amounts would be confinded from NYC north verbatim. So many more runs to come so this could be rain, snow, rain to snow or mix of both. Location location location will be the name of this storm

Winter is coming. An unnamed source has a chance of some minor snow for 10 out of 12 days beginning Sunday.

aea3b3c95be16b368691732609d4b6cdcc53759dd386880dd1251b926ce48b08.jpg

Winter started in Flanders about a week ago when we got about 2.5 inches and then another inch 2 nights ago. I still have plans on grilling this weekend!!!!! Maybe some ribs.

Reactions: AshSaturday
Now the forecast below is a thing of beauty for winter fans. Too far out to know how much snow and/or rain we're going to get on any particular day, but it's looking like a few inches are possible for most of Central/North Jersey (especially NW of I-95; mix to rain towards the coast is more likely) late Sunday into early Monday morning.

And it's going to get really cold by the middle of next week, i.e., highs in the 20s, with another decent chance at snow by Wednesday. Average right now for NYC is still highs in the mid-40s and lows near 30F - tonight will be NYC's first sub-freezing night since last April (urban heat island effect - been below freezing everywhere else).

Also, some serious lake effect snow going on right now - could be snow in feet from now through the next few days with more to come.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...phi&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=233&map_y=80#.WEnbUrIrJnI

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/49338-dec-11-12-storm-threat/?page=7

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 26. West wind 11 to 13 mph.

Friday: Scattered sprinkles and flurries before 3pm, then scattered sprinkles between 3pm and 4pm, then scattered flurries after 4pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 40. Northwest wind 10 to 18 mph.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 22. West wind 9 to 13 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. West wind 9 to 14 mph.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 24. West wind 5 to 9 mph becoming light after midnight.

Sunday:A slight chance of rain after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday Night: Rain and snow likely before 3am, then snow likely between 3am and 4am, then rain and snow likely after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Monday: Snow likely before 8am, then rain and snow likely between 8am and 10am, then rain likely after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Monday Night:A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tuesday:A chance of snow before 8am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday Night:A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday: A chance of rain, snow, and sleet. Partly sunny, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 25. Breezy.

Last edited:
I hate this part of the season.

There's not enough cold air in place for one of these marginal precip events to be a significant snow event except in the very highest elevations. We go through a couple of these every year - the weenies fuss and fawn over every model run and the Day Of winds up being a breezy, cold rain event and there is much sadness.

Just Say No.

Remember the days of yore when Tex Antoine would tell us the day before that there was snow coming. ? Social networking has taken the element of surprise away. Wal Mart and Shop Rite love when we anticipate these events a week out. Does wonders for their business.

#s...do not know why you are going on record to say a few inches is likely....lots can change here and you have been badly burned before 4-5 days out. I would just say we are watching an event but we could get cold rain as well

There's not enough cold air in place for one of these marginal precip events to be a significant snow event except in the very highest elevations. We go through a couple of these every year - the weenies fuss and fawn over every model run and the Day Of winds up being a breezy, cold rain event and there is much sadness.

Just Say No.

thats what I am telling him but he went ahead and called for a few inches likely anyhow, just like the weenies on the Americanwx taking qpf output verbatim and declaring amounts 5 days out

He said inches are possible not likely. Now you 2 will argue back and forth like the terrible Bayless/Smith show. Or Bayless/Sharpe now.

#s...do not know why you are going on record to say a few inches is likely....lots can change here and you have been badly burned before 4-5 days out. I would just say we are watching an event but we could get cold rain as well

Meant to say possible, not likely - I edited it. I never make predictions 4-5 days out for snow, so I've never been "burned" on that. Even 3 days out is pretty early to be making predictions, unless it's a really solid model consensus, which we don't have right now; a few inches are possible though, especially N/W - this is shaping up to be a pattern with inland snows, as areas like Sussex County and the Poconos already have 8 inches or more of snow this season. The other problem for the I-95 corridor and the coast is that even if there is a small accumulation of snow, a changeover to rain is very possible.

Meant to say possible, not likely - I edited it. I never make predictions 4-5 days out for snow, so I've never been "burned" on that. Even 3 days out is pretty early to be making predictions, unless it's a really solid model consensus, which we don't have right now; a few inches are possible though, especially N/W - this is shaping up to be a pattern with inland snows, as areas like Sussex County and the Poconos already have 8 inches or more of snow this season. The other problem for the I-95 corridor and the coast is that even if there is a small accumulation of snow, a changeover to rain is very possible.

thank you for correcting, didnt mean to jump over you but with the GFS showing a cutter on its 18z run all solutions seem to be on the table right now

Trends on the overnight models were wetter not whiter for this storm but still small accumulations still would be possible in the I 95 corridor with more to the north before any changeover. Still a few runs to go before a reasonable consensus is reached for a forecast.

Trends on the overnight models were wetter not whiter for this storm but still small accumulations still would be possible in the I 95 corridor with more to the north before any changeover. Still a few runs to go before a reasonable consensus is reached for a forecast.
Fewer inches but wetter. MILFs in the Hillsborough deli are confused.

Just Say No.
For winter weather fans, this is like getting excited for college football being back, even though you're playing Howard in the first game. It's marking the end of the off season.

For winter weather fans, this is like getting excited for college football being back, even though you're playing Howard in the first game. It's marking the end of the off season.
And to finish the thought--panicking because you are 21 points behind, and then the feeling of relief when your team reels off 49 unanswered points. The early forecast of doom turns out all right.

Most places north of 195/276 (except at the coast) are predicted to see at least a little bit of light snow Sunday afternoon/evening, with maybe 1/2" from Trenton to NYC, less than that as one nears195/276, and up to 2" as one nears 78, especially west of 287/78. North of 78 could see 2-4" and north of 80 could see up to 4-5" (especially NW of 80/287). Snow maps are up from the NWS.

Any snow will quickly change to rain Sunday night from I-95 to the coast and even inland areas that get several inches of snow should still change over to rain by early Monday morning; most areas will likely see significant rain (up to 1/2"). Could be a pretty big snow event for the ski resorts from the Catskills through New England with 6-12" possible. After last December's torch, the ski resorts could use a good start to the season.
StormTotalSnowWeb.png

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

Got about a foot already and possible major storm in the next few days. Winter's here, baby! Embrace it.

Looks like I was the kiss of death for starting this thread...looks like non event for most..a little light snow at the start for most perhaps starting late Sunday afternoon but you'll have to go towards NW Jersey to see accumulations then it just goes to plain rain everywhere overnight

Looks like I was the kiss of death for starting this thread...looks like non event for most..a little light snow at the start for most perhaps starting late Sunday afternoon but you'll have to go towards NW Jersey to see accumulations then it just goes to plain rain everywhere overnight

So why the hell are the county roads in Eastern Monmouth (Middeltown, Fair Haven and Rumson) brined?

So why the hell are the county roads in Eastern Monmouth (Middeltown, Fair Haven and Rumson) brined?

No reason to be brining roads anywhere south of 78. Hoping for at least some mood snow here in Metuchen, i.e., even a 1/2" would be nice to see. I'd be surprised if eastern Monmouth sees more than a few flakes.

No reason to be brining roads anywhere south of 78. Hoping for at least some mood snow here in Metuchen, i.e., even a 1/2" would be nice to see. I'd be surprised if eastern Monmouth sees more than a few flakes.

Montgomery Twp roads were brined yesterday by 10am. Waste of taxpayers money

That only means that the Gov. will declare a state of emergency later today and close the State on Monday.

He's saying it because he is who he is. Predict snow and then when it doesn't happen, deny saying it.

Reactions: rurichdog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT