ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WaWa

Wawa has big competition from Sheets in the middle of PA. Cleaner. Better set up. Better food. Not a rip off. Cheap gas.
Royal Farms is coming to the Jersey shore. Supposed to have excellent fried chicken.

Royal Farms is coming to the Jersey shore. Supposed to have excellent fried chicken.

Interesting to hear they are expanding into NJ. I fill up one of my vehicles at RF every few days but have never tried the fried chicken since i don't really eat it for health reasons. Their advertising says it's world famous but I'm skeptical of that.

Its good

I have been to the one in Northfield. It's also new so clean

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it stays very clean over the long run unless that particular location takes it more seriously. The ones I've been to tend to become a bit gross after awhile. Even a brand new one that I frequent and only opened about a year ago has fallen off in terms of cleanliness.

Everyone around there knows it is in Woodbridge Township, Middlesex County

Rahway is in Union County

Rahway prison is located in BOTH Union & Middlesex Counties, as the prison grounds extend into both counties. Any crime committed inside of the Prison, is adjudicated in Middlesex County Courts.

The one in Sayreville at the base of the S. River bridge has been there for as long as I can remember. At least early 90s.
That's south of Iselin though. I wonder if the Iselin one was the northernmost Wawa until their more recent expansion about 10 or so years ago.

It is good, unfortunately they're very expensive, at least the one I went to which is closed now.. Went there several months back. IIRC, a 5" sub, bag of chips and a soda would have set me back $11 or $12. Decided to just do the sub which was 7 or 8$
Yeah the only time I go to Jersey Mike's is when I have a coupon. I like their cheesesteaks but I got tuna from them once and it was a dripping soupy mess. Tastee Sub is about the same distance for me and doesn't involve waiting at one of the Old Post Road/Rt. 1 jughandles, so if I'm paying full price I always go there instead.

Reactions: albanyknight
I wonder if the Iselin one was the northernmost Wawa until their more recent expansion about 10 or so years ago.

Certainly seemed like that location for Wawa was a bit of an outpost (in terms of their footprint of stores up through the 90s). May have been the first one north of the Raritan River if the Sayreville one mentioned above was perhaps the next closest.

Growing up further north (in the mid-late 80s), it was Krauszer's, QuickChek, and 7-Eleven in our vicinity.

Certainly seemed like that location for Wawa was a bit of an outpost (in terms of their footprint of stores up through the 90s). May have been the first one north of the Raritan River if the Sayreville one mentioned above was perhaps the next closest.

Growing up further north (in the mid-late 80s), it was Krauszer's, QuickChek, and 7-Eleven in our vicinity.
Every Krauzers location was the dirties stores I have ever been to.

the ultimate worst are those Krauzers that got converted into Stop N Go or Stop Buys

when I was a kid 7-11 was king in Hillsborough, it was clean back then and run by different people....there was a Cumberland Farms with the original logo that petered out, a drive through place where you go bread and in Manville you had the Krauzers

The one in Sayreville at the base of the S. River bridge has been there for as long as I can remember. At least early 90s.
Try at least 1987, that Sayreville Wawa is just minutes from me (in fact I was there today) and I was curious how long it's been there so I went on Historic Aerials and it's there when I go back to 1987, I bet it was built 1985.

Every Krauzers location was the dirties stores I have ever been to.

The one in S Bound Brook used to be THE "Dirty Krauzers" (DK). Was a good spot for getting package goods underage, with no ID check.

The one in S Bound Brook used to be THE "Dirty Krauzers" (DK). Was a good spot for getting package goods underage, with no ID check.
Yes. My older brother lives in SBB. That was not far from the very nice QuickChek

Royal Farms is good - good chicken but not really known of their subs/hoagies. Fantastic selection of sunflower seeds (I know every Wawa and Royal Farms in the Delaware Valley due to travel baseball) and the stores are really clean. Check out is slow and bottled drink selection is not great (a lot of store brand stuff). We still prefer WaWa.

Reactions: cicero grimes
There is a chain in Texas, Alabama, Florida called Buc-ees. Never been to one, but I hear they are super clean, have a zillion gas pumps, and are more like supermarkets than a mini mart.

There is a chain in Texas, Alabama, Florida called Buc-ees. Never been to one, but I hear they are super clean, have a zillion gas pumps, and are more like supermarkets than a mini mart.

Who wants to deal with a supermarket on a pit stop?

Sounds like yet another Texas Fail!

Folks can buy hiking socks or boots lots of places, but millions of people will drive three or four hours to go to Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops because they are the size of Maine and have tons of neat stuff.

Folks can buy hiking socks or boots lots of places, but millions of people will drive three or four hours to go to Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops because they are the size of Maine and have tons of neat stuff.

Not the same. You can't get everything those places offer at smaller stores. I remember well. Growing up, it was EMS or nothing. It was ok for some stuff (clothes, mostly), but I would have driven three hours to REI or Cabanas for other stuff if it were an option. Especially if I wanted to compare multiple products.

Now I have multiple smaller, better stores nearby so driving 30 mins to Cabelas or an hour to REI is rarely worthwhile. If you have boutique gear shops with neat stuff, you don't need to go to outdoor big boxes.

Anyway, world's largest "convenience" stores is an oxymoron.

That's south of Iselin though. I wonder if the Iselin one was the northernmost Wawa until their more recent expansion about 10 or so years ago.

Yeah the only time I go to Jersey Mike's is when I have a coupon. I like their cheesesteaks but I got tuna from them once and it was a dripping soupy mess. Tastee Sub is about the same distance for me and doesn't involve waiting at one of the Old Post Road/Rt. 1 jughandles, so if I'm paying full price I always go there instead.

Lord do I miss Tastee Subs. I lived on them when I was at RU living in Highland Park.

Jersey MIke's is the gold standard around my parts.

Lord do I miss Tastee Subs. I lived on them when I was at RU living in Highland Park.

Jersey MIke's is the gold standard around my parts.
There was a Tastee sub shop in Sayreville too, best subs in town and they made a cheeseburger sub that I still crave everyday. The guy who ran it was Andy but he passed away at a pretty young age.

He's now a reverred Sayreville legend.

I watched this guy's visit to Wawa and he f's up the entire thing by buying all the pre-made crap and a meatball shorty. Dude - Wawa is about the hoagie. Preferable the italian hoagie. You don't drive hundreds of miles from Toronto to try Wawa and buy jalapeno bites and a beef empanada from the pre-made heat-lamp rack!

Reactions: RUevolution36
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT