ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We may win the World Cup in 2026

It's also a huge issue for us that an ancient Tim Ream is better than anyone else we have produced in the past 5 years, especially considering how much improvement in talent we have seen everywhere else on the pitch.
I agree completely. I fail to understand how the USMNT cannot produce/find a better group of defenders.

The Robinsons are pretty good (although Jedi had about as bad a game as I've ever seen him play last game). But after them, it starts to go downhill (from a purely defensive standpoint). Ream is getting better with age because he has to as he slows down. But to compete at the highest levels against the best teams, we need to be able to reliably field 4 very tall, very fast, very skilled, very consistent defenders.

Finding that pure scorer forward is just statistically challenging. But I would not have thought it so difficult, with all the people who play competitive youth soccer in the US, to locate 4 really great defenders. Yet over the years, we never really have done so, at least not that I can recall.

And if anybody says Alexi Lalas, I'm gonna 🤮 😃.

I agree completely. I fail to understand how the USMNT cannot produce/find a better group of defenders.

The Robinsons are pretty good (although Jedi had about as bad a game as I've ever seen him play last game). But after them, it starts to go downhill (from a purely defensive standpoint). Ream is getting better with age because he has to as he slows down. But to compete at the highest levels against the best teams, we need to be able to reliably field 4 very tall, very fast, very skilled, very consistent defenders.

Finding that pure scorer forward is just statistically challenging. But I would not have thought it so difficult, with all the people who play competitive youth soccer in the US, to locate 4 really great defenders. Yet over the years, we never really have done so, at least not that I can recall.

And if anybody says Alexi Lalas, I'm gonna 🤮 😃.
Richards is improving a lot. I have high hopes for him. Carter-Vickers has been left out in the cold despite now getting decent game time at Celtic. Trusty is getting good minutes at sheffield, but their defense is shambolic...so not sure that's great.

Richards is improving a lot. I have high hopes for him. Carter-Vickers has been left out in the cold despite now getting decent game time at Celtic. Trusty is getting good minutes at sheffield, but their defense is shambolic...so not sure that's great.
I actually see Richards more as a 6 like Adams as he has played for his club over the last month or so. As much as I like Adams- he's small and gets injured a ton. Richards protecting the central defenders makes a lot of sense to me.

I actually see Richards more as a 6 like Adams as he has played for his club over the last month or so. As much as I like Adams- he's small and gets injured a ton. Richards protecting the central defenders makes a lot of sense to me.
We have a bigger need at CB. As long as Adams is available, Richards is needed at CB and not as a 2nd choice 6.

We have a bigger need at CB. As long as Adams is available, Richards is needed at CB and not as a 2nd choice 6.
Also, even though he might not cover quite as much ground and seems a little more offensive minded, I feel like Johnny is giving us some cover now in those spots that we need to replace Adams.

It helps that he plays in the Prem and competing against top talent in the world almost every week. This is why guys like miles Robinson are doing themselves a professional disservice by staying in mls. I understand that there are other factors in these decisions, but from a strictly footballing perspective, it's horrible. Ream has surprised even Fulham fans with his longevity. He and Antonee Robinson have formed a really good combo down that left side for them.
I use the argument all of the time when I am discussing hockey and football, and am mostly correct, that “ players don’t suddenly improve in their 30’s they just regress at different speeds”.

It’s a good thing they not many hockey and football fans follow the USMNT or Premier League, or I would get the Ream example thrown back in my face all of the time.

He has actually improved the mental part of his game so much that he is much better than he was 10 years ago. He seldom makes a wrong move.

I know you can't help yourself, but please stop bringing up irrelevant stuff from 6 days ago.

9866_mooning.gif

ADVERTISEMENT