ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We may win the World Cup in 2026

I kind of don't know that I get it. Is it: "it's a rainin' men"? And if so, to what cultural thing is it referencing? A movie quote?

I'm so confused.

Weathergirls song.

Hi - Hi! We're your Weather Girls - Ah-huh -
And have we got news for you - You better listen!
Get ready, all you lonely girls
and leave those umbrellas at home. - Alright! -

Humidity is rising - Barometer's getting low
According to all sources, the street's the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining men.

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men! Amen!
I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet!
It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Men! Every Specimen!
Tall, blonde, dark and lean
Rough and tough and strong and mean

God bless Mother Nature, she's a single woman too
She took off to heaven and she did what she had to do
She taught every angel to rearrange the sky
So that each and every woman could find her perfect guy
It's Raining Men! Ame---------nnnn!

I feel stormy weather / Moving in about to begin
Hear the thunder / Don't you lose your head
Rip off the roof and stay in bed

It's Raining Men! Yeah!

Just about half-past ten

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men!

Reactions: mildone
I kind of don't know that I get it. Is it: "it's a rainin' men"? And if so, to what cultural thing is it referencing? A movie quote?

I'm so confused.
Really? It's from a song. Google it.

the sun is usually confusing.
I admit to being easily confused. Most especially by ambiguity which is freakin' everywhere these days, precision being a lost art, apparently (which, my problem with ambiguity, is apropos of nothing whatsoever, but I figured I'd mention it).

Weathergirls song.

Hi - Hi! We're your Weather Girls - Ah-huh -
And have we got news for you - You better listen!
Get ready, all you lonely girls
and leave those umbrellas at home. - Alright! -

Just about half-past ten

I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet!
It's Raining Men! Every Specimen!
Tall, blonde, dark and lean
Rough and tough and strong and mean

It's Raining Men! Ame---------nnnn!

I feel stormy weather / Moving in about to begin
Hear the thunder / Don't you lose your head
Rip off the roof and stay in bed

It's Raining Men! Yeah!

Just about half-past ten

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men!
Ah, that explains it. So I guessed right (for once). Pretty funny, that.

Back to topic... The CONCACAF Nations League draw was announced today. USA will play El Salvador and Grenada in the upcoming June international window. Not the ideal World Cup prep, but whatcha gonna do.

The June window runs for 16 days, May 30 to June 14. The CONCACAF games will be played in the back end of that window. Prior to that, Berhalter plans to schedule two friendlies against WC caliber opposition. Looks like one could be Uruguay. Sports Illustrated is reporting that Uruguay is in "advanced negotiations" to play both USA and Mexico then.

Reactions: Scangg
Meh. This is like scheduling Lafayette and UMass for early games. What could go wrong with that?
Well let's assess the alternatives:

1) Bypass the CONCACAF Nations League.

2) Send a B team (and a B coach) to Nations League.

3) Do what they are doing.

I might have opted for Door #2, but there may be reasons why that is not feasible. I would add that Mexico and Canada are in the same boat. It will be interesting to see how they manage their rosters.

Costa Rica is in a different boat. They are facing an all-important playoff with New Zealand in that same window. I have no idea how they will handle their two Nations League matches.

Last edited:
Back to topic... The CONCACAF Nations League draw was announced today. USA will play El Salvador and Grenada in the upcoming June international window. Not the ideal World Cup prep, but whatcha gonna do.

The June window runs for 16 days, May 30 to June 14. The CONCACAF games will be played in the back end of that window. Prior to that, Berhalter plans to schedule two friendlies against WC caliber opposition. Looks like one could be Uruguay. Sports Illustrated is reporting that Uruguay is in "advanced negotiations" to play both USA and Mexico then.

Nations League is okay. Gives Berhalter a chance to test out a number of players on the edge of making the WC.

As for Uruguay, I don't understand this friendly at all. Would much prefer a European team. We will be playing two Euro teams, nobody from South America.

Nations League is okay. Gives Berhalter a chance to test out a number of players on the edge of making the WC.

As for Uruguay, I don't understand this friendly at all. Would much prefer a European team. We will be playing two Euro teams, nobody from South America.
I read that UEFA Nations League is playing in the same June window. So Euro friendlies are hard to come by.

Most, if not all of Uruguay's top players play in Europe. Not sure what difference it makes European vs South American team in this regard. Uruguay is a good team with veteran players who can give us a helluva run for our money.

Apparently hamstring and tendon damage
That sucks. I wonder how he got the tendon damage. Sounds like he got injured in a foul of some sort.

I've had a handful or so of hamstring injuries, ranging from very minor (~6 weeks to recover) to fairly major (~2 months before I could walk without a limp, ~6 months before I could run).

He'll be getting treatment and PT every day, probably multiple times per day. So let's hope he can get somehow get back to playing much sooner than predicted.

Thought about a new thread, but decided to put this here. Highlights of Liverpool's 3-2 win over City in the semis of the FA Cup in the link below. The reason for putting it here is that US keeper Zack Steffen made a monumentally bad gaffe in goal for City, allowing Mane to score on a tackle with the ball at Steffen's feet. I've always liked Turner's reflexes and goal-saving better, but thought Steffan was better with his feet, but damn, I don't know after this. I could watch Liverpool and Man City play every week, lol.

Turner should be in goal for the WC not Steffen. Steffen should be starting everyday somewhere so it was dumb he re-upped with City.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Even the best in the world make these mistakes. Mendy from Chelsea, city's #1 ederson have both made terrible mistakes on the ball in the past couple of weeks in CL play.

Even the best in the world make these mistakes. Mendy from Chelsea, city's #1 ederson have both made terrible mistakes on the ball in the past couple of weeks in CL play.
An American won’t be forgiven the same way they were.

Perfect example being Manchester United writing off Tim Howard after a mistake in a Champions League game.

An American won’t be forgiven the same way they were.

Perfect example being Manchester United writing off Tim Howard after a mistake in a Champions League game.
i don't know that this is entirely the case anymore. esp with these big clubs, the cheaper guys are seen as expendable parts. hell, even expensive GK's can be cast aside. chelsea made Kepa one of the most expensive GK's ever, and they replaced him with Mendy once the mistakes became persistent. Bernd Leno has been a good GK for Arsenal and he got replaced by Ramsdale. Esp with GK's, the mistakes are very noticeable and hard to forget.

that said, there was an article about the USMNT GK dilemma. neither turner or steffen are going to be playing regularly for their clubs, so picking an in-form GK for the WC is going to be hard.

Reactions: famousbill19
neither turner or steffen are going to be playing regularly for their clubs, so picking an in-form GK for the WC is going to be hard.
We have been spoiled for choice at GK going back at least as far as Meola. This is among the weakest corps that I can remember. It is a big concern (at least for me) as our back four are concerning as well and our GKs can expect to be tested.

We have been spoiled for choice at GK going back at least as far as Meola. This is among the weakest corps that I can remember. It is a big concern (at least for me) as our back four are concerning as well and our GKs can expect to be tested.
i had a lot of hope for horvath, who was playing in european cup competition, but then he's also gotten buried on the bench at nottingham forest.

I am sure hoping both Steffen and Turner get loaned out. If we don't have a 1st choice keeper getting regular minutes somewhere, we are not getting out of the group.
i don't think steffen will get loaned out. he's pep's #2 GK for sure, and they'll likely be shopping for a few new pieces this summer in other areas of the pitch...namely haaland and a new MF to replace fernandinho...turner on the other hand, not sure why he decided he wanted to go there. there's no path forward to regular minutes. ramsdale is 23 and could easily be England's #1 by the time the WC starts. maybe he gets some cup minutes next year if they sell Leno on with only a year remaining on his deal, but that would be the same situation as steffen.

I am sure hoping both Steffen and Turner get loaned out. If we don't have a 1st choice keeper getting regular minutes somewhere, we are not getting out of the group.
Well if my minor knee surgery goes well on Friday (scoping it to remove cartilage), I should be back on the pitch playing keeper again shortly (haven't been able to run fully for nearly a year due to knee pain) and if I can stay healthy through the fall, I'll be available for the USMNT. And if @mildone can get his back fixed, he'll be available at midfield.

Partial schedule for the USMNT's four games in the June window:

June 1 - Morocco, @Cincinnati
June 5 - TBA (Uruguay???)
June 10 - Grenada, venue TBA
June 14 - @El Salvador

The latter two games are part of the opening round of the 2023 CONCACAF Nations League.

Partial schedule for the USMNT's four games in the June window:

June 5 - TBA (Uruguay???)
June 10 - Grenada, venue TBA
June 14 - @El Salvador

The latter two games are part of the opening round of the 2023 CONCACAF Nations League.
The expected friendly with Uruguay is now official. The four games in the upcoming international window are:

June 5 - Uruguay, @Kansas City
*June 10 - Grenada, @Austin
*June 14 - @El Salvador
* CONCACAF Nations League

Then probably two matches in Europe in the September window against WC caliber opposition.

That's it for WC prep, unless they schedule a friendly or two outside the international window. If so, it would likely be an all-MLS roster.

John Brooks
giphy.gif

Cameron Carter Vickers just got named to the Scottish League team of the year. Maybe worth a look.

Cameron Carter Vickers just got named to the Scottish League team of the year. Maybe worth a look.
He's been crushing it out there. Can't find his way into the Spurs squad and will likely be sold this summer, but definitely worth the look.

ADVERTISEMENT