ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weather guys - question

IL Lusciato

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2011
Newark, NJ
I saw today that we can expect another of these wind/rain storms this coming weekend.

My question is: what's with these? And this weather in general, that seemed to be a pattern last year as well? It seems like we have cold dry days, but then whenever precipitation comes in, the temperature shoots up, and we wind up with rain. I vaguely understand that something about the warmth etc causes precip.

To what do we owe this? Is it something that is consistently happening and becoming more common in winters around here, or is that in my head? What is contributing to it, and will it stay this way for the foreseeable future, or is hit a hit or miss depending upon the storm?

Yes, I enjoy snow and absolutely loathe rain, esp colder winter rain.

The storm track is just to your west this year, so far, so instead of storms forming as nor’easters and giving you snow, you’re east of the storm and in the warm sector where lots of moisture can shoot up from the GOM. For someone like me in Texas, we are stuck in a drought pattern (less than two inches since September) as storms “get going” just beyond us.

If you live in the Great Lakes and upper Midwest, good snows have fallen there. The pattern has been just what the climate prediction center said it would be based on La Niña.

This pattern is likely to persist. The image below is through mid Jan...NOT a snow lovers dream. 🤷🏻‍♂️
814temp.new.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The storm track is just to your west this year, so far, so instead of storms forming as nor’easters and giving you snow, you’re east of the storm and in the warm sector where lots of moisture can shoot up from the GOM. For someone like me in Texas, we are stuck in a drought pattern (less than two inches since September) as storms “get going” just beyond us.

If you live in the Great Lakes and upper Midwest, good snows have fallen there. The pattern has been just what the climate prediction center said it would be based on La Niña.

This pattern is likely to persist. The image below is through mid Jan...NOT a snow lovers dream. 🤷🏻‍♂️
814temp.new.gif
Was about to post the CPC map, lol. Yeah, the pattern is not so good right now and we got lucky to get 6-12" of snow along and NW of the 95 corridor with last week's storm, with a track right along the DE/NJ coast, which would usually mean rain for most - lucky we had a really strong, cold, high pressure system in eastern Quebec to lock the cold in place. With La Nina possibly weakening by mid-Feb (some say), we could get a break on the wintry weather. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT