ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What a Feeling!!!!!

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Being a Padre fan for 52 years it's hard to describe the joy I feel tonight. Sure I want to go on all the way to the WS championship but knocking out the Dodgers is one of sweetest moments in sports for me.
Also there were more than a few posters here in the spring of 2019 who ridiculed Manny when he signed saying he made a mistake and I remember this comment specifically "he's just signed on to a decade of playing meaningless games". Another called San Diego "baseball purgatory". Well I guess you guys were wrong.

For you Philly fans I think it'll be a great series and I hope that we have something left in the tank after this week.

Go Pods!!!

@The RUT must be going crazy now at Petco.

Last edited:
Congrats to you Colbert. Soto seems to have come through. I don't like how he carries himself (aka Willie Montanez with extra mustard and sauerkraut) but I guess if he is on your team and produces all is good.

Congrats to you Colbert. Soto seems to have come through. I don't like how he carries himself (aka Willie Montanez with extra mustard and sauerkraut) but I guess if he is on your team and produces all is good.
He's only a kid (23) and needs to learn how to conduct himself. That's where a guy like Melvin can help. I like the Willie Montanez comparision. Remember Manny was pretty much a d***head for most of his career but I watch about 98% of Padre games and you've seen nothing of that in the past few years. He's really emerged as a leader
The guy I've really learned to like is Kim. No prancing around, no "it's about me" bull***t, just good hard nosed, old fashion fundamental baseball.
Notice to the rest of baseball, next year the Padres get back arguably the most talented player in the game. Look at the line up and add Tatis.

Last edited:
Congrats . It’s why we root for sports teams. I hold out hope rutgers can do that for all of us one day .
i must say the OP nailed it on the machado signing . Some whiffed .

Being a Padre fan for 52 years it's hard to describe the joy I feel tonight. Sure I want to go on all the way to the WS championship but knocking out the Dodgers is one of sweetest moments in sports for me.
Also there were more than a few posters here in the spring of 2019 who ridiculed Manny when he signed saying he made a mistake and I remember this comment specifically "he's just signed on to a decade of playing meaningless games". Another called San Diego "baseball purgatory". Well I guess you guys were wrong.

For you Philly fans I think it'll be a great series and I hope that we have something left in the tank after this week.

Go Pods!!!

Chris Cannizzaro, Fred Kendall, Steve Arlin, Big Nate, Jerry Morales and Cito are all proud Pads today

This was such a repeat of the 1993 season. The Braves had a crazy race for their division title where the loser won more than a 100 games and they were pretty much emotionally spent for the playoffs. (It's ironic that they lost to the Phillies that year as well.) I remember Mad Dog going crazy that year because his beloved Giants got nothing after winning over a 100 games.

I haven't followed the Phillies much.What will be their rotation?
Padres will go Darvish and Snell in SD with Musgrove going Game 3. Game 4 will be either Clevinger or Sean Manea.

I haven't followed the Phillies much.What will be their rotation?
Padres will go Darvish and Snell in SD with Musgrove going Game 3. Game 4 will be either Clevinger or Sean Manea.

Wheeler game 1, Nola game 2, Suarez game 3. Then it’s a matter of if we bring Wheeler and Nola back on short rest for 4 & 5 depending upon days off, or if we start Syndergaard in game 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: colbert17
Since it's Sunday morning and in honor of the Padres victory name for me the only two Padres to win the NL Rookie of the Year award.
A little twist, one of them shared the award with another player their year.

I was sticking with original 1969 Pads.
Cool Billy McCool, Joe Niekro, Dick Selma
Well then you need to mention Ed Spezio (first Padre HR), Ivan Murrell and Larry Stahl.
Also shame on both of us for leaving out the pride of Union, NJ, Al Santorini

I remember Billy McCool's baseball card. I think he was on the Reds then.

Reactions: zappaa
Go back to a true World Series. The AL and NL pennant leaders play each other in a 7 game series. That's it. And no interleague play, make it special again to see AL vs NL. Might actually bring juice back to the All-Star Game.

All the playoffs do is reward the teams that got hot in October. As someone said in here, even the Pirates can beat the Yankees 3 games out of 10. The World Series winner is usually not the best team, just the hottest team.

Hot take over.

Reactions: ruinac
This was such a repeat of the 1993 season. The Braves had a crazy race for their division title where the loser won more than a 100 games and they were pretty much emotionally spent for the playoffs. (It's ironic that they lost to the Phillies that year as well.) I remember Mad Dog going crazy that year because his beloved Giants got nothing after winning over a 100 games.
Ah yes, 1993. The last pennant race in baseball history. Either you won your division or you went home. The Giants won 103 games (same number as the Mets lost BTW) and went home, because the Braves won 104.

In 1994 they added the wild card. That marked the end of baseball played without a net.

Reactions: cicero grimes

Go Pods!!!

I recall the old line about San Diego's baseball irrelevance:

"San Diego is bordered on the west by the ocean, on the east by the desert, on the south by Mexico, and on the north by Vin Scully."

The DS round is the same as it always was. 5 game series.
Except in the past neither the Phillies or Padres would have been eligible to play in it

The new format clearly diminishes the regular season. Whether that is good or bad is a personal preference.
It might be time to cut the season down and go to even more rounds of playoff series

Reactions: ruinac
Except in the past neither the Phillies or Padres would have been eligible to play in it

The new format clearly diminishes the regular season. Whether that is good or bad is a personal preference.
It might be time to cut the season down and go to even more rounds of playoff series
If MLB had its way there would be 14 playoff teams. MLBPA wanted to hold the line at 10. They compromised at 12.

MLBPA opposes expanded playoffs because the more playoff teams there are, and the less the importance of the regular season, the less incentive there will be for teams to spend money to win. They have a point IMO.

Reactions: tom1944
Playing a 162 game season followed by a 3 game playoff is like the NFL having 18 minute wild card round games.

I think the only off day this week is Thursday.
Up 2-1 or down 2-1 I feel like the Phils will pitch Wheeler and Nola both on short rest in game 4 and 5 thinking we’d have a chance to close it out in 5 or go back to SD up 3-2. Should be a good series.

NO ONE had the Phillies and Padres in the NLCS. Dodgers choked harder than the Mets
Well, I didn’t have the Phillies, but I had the Friars.

In fact, I got called a village idiot in the Mets thread when I said the Padres would beat the Dodgers and LA wouldn’t win a playoff game at Petco Park.

But of course, no one knew the potential of this team unless you actually watched them play.

All year long little pieces of the puzzle have been getting built up, it’s just awesome to see it all come together.

Reactions: newell138
Honestly @colbert17 winning the WS or getting there would be awesome, but this is all I needed.

Feels good knowing we were the ones to end the Dodgers’ season. Wouldn’t want it any other way.

I know most Padres fans will disagree with me but I liked the blue uniforms they had a while back. 1998 I think?

Never a fan of the brown.

Go back to a true World Series. The AL and NL pennant leaders play each other in a 7 game series. That's it. And no interleague play, make it special again to see AL vs NL. Might actually bring juice back to the All-Star Game.

All the playoffs do is reward the teams that got hot in October. As someone said in here, even the Pirates can beat the Yankees 3 games out of 10. The World Series winner is usually not the best team, just the hottest team.

Hot take over.
I agree would like to just see division winners . Make the regular season really mean something. The whole Mets braces race meant pretty much nothing at the end . But this will never happen . Expanded playoffs is more $$ and more teams in the wildcard hunt.

I know most Padres fans will disagree with me but I liked the blue uniforms they had a while back. 1998 I think?

Not a padres fans . Like the current ones . Old fashioned and the road grays look sharp with those pinstripes.

Go Pods!!!

Good for you. Now that the Mets are out, I’m a Padres fan. I still have my gem mint Topps ‘ 74 Colbert in his “mustard and mud” (my favorite uniforms). I also have the much rarer “Washington NL” version but not gem mint. great memories of the days when I would listen to the late night Padres Mets in SD with my transistor radio under my pillow…only to have my dreams shattered by someone like Enzo Hernandez hitting a game winning single in the bottom of the 9th at 1:30 AM…

Not a padres fans . Like the current ones . Old fashioned and the road grays look sharp with those pinstripes.
The ones I am talking about are pretty close to the current, just blue instead of the brown.

The ones I am talking about are pretty close to the current, just blue instead of the brown.
Just googled them. The white jersey with the blue stripes and lettering looked cool . I don’t like the blue jersey ones .

Just googled them. The white jersey with the blue stripes and lettering looked cool. I don’t like the blue jersey ones.
Those. 👍

The away grays for that year looked good too IMO.

Think that blue one was just for BP?

I love the brown and yellow.

Not great to casually wear places (brown and yellow just looks weird), but that’s why I have my blue and white padres hats from before the switch.

Hot take over.
Same thing for NFL and teams getting hot …

ADVERTISEMENT