ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What a Feeling!!!!!

Congrats to you Colbert. Soto seems to have come through. I don't like how he carries himself (aka Willie Montanez with extra mustard and sauerkraut) but I guess if he is on your team and produces all is good.
Noticed the same thing about Soto.

I’m a Mets fan and I am Okay with the new format. It helped the Mets reach the WS in 2016 because they got hot against the Dodgers but then the Royals got hot and win it all. I think it’s more exciting this way. If sucked a few seasons before 1993 when the Mets had good teams and didn’t make the playoffs.

Being a Padre fan for 52 years it's hard to describe the joy I feel tonight. Sure I want to go on all the way to the WS championship but knocking out the Dodgers is one of sweetest moments in sports for me.
Also there were more than a few posters here in the spring of 2019 who ridiculed Manny when he signed saying he made a mistake and I remember this comment specifically "he's just signed on to a decade of playing meaningless games". Another called San Diego "baseball purgatory". Well I guess you guys were wrong.

For you Philly fans I think it'll be a great series and I hope that we have something left in the tank after this week.

Go Pods!!!

@The RUT must be going crazy now at Petco.
Congratulations! What an amazing atmosphere in San Diego the last two games. Unlike most pro stadiums - A totally crazy scene. Good for the Padres and their fans!

Congrats Colbert!

For whatever reason, I immediately think of this 1974 Topps card when I think of the Padres. Probably because I was 9 and the first year I started collecting baseball cards.

front_135141__88662.1586474853.jpg

Good Greif!!!

Wil Meyers was at a random bar last night buying shots for everyone 😂

Since it's Sunday morning and in honor of the Padres victory name for me the only two Padres to win the NL Rookie of the Year award.
A little twist, one of them shared the award with another player their year.

All I can recall is Benito Santiago in 87. I don't think Gwynn won ROY. Was it Winfield back in the 70s?

I’m a Mets fan and I am Okay with the new format. It helped the Mets reach the WS in 2016 because they got hot against the Dodgers but then the Royals got hot and win it all. I think it’s more exciting this way. If sucked a few seasons before 1993 when the Mets had good teams and didn’t make the playoffs.
Not following you. Mets made World Series in 2015 . And it was a different format then the one that started this year

I am okay with the format but feel it diminishes the regular season.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
All I can recall is Benito Santiago in 87. I don't think Gwynn won ROY. Was it Winfield back in the 70s?

Sorry it took me so long. I fell asleep.

Santiago is correct. Neither Gwynn nor Winfield won..

The other winner was in 1976 and is one of baseball's least known. Butch Metzger was 11-4 with 16 saves that year and was the co-winner with Reds pitcher Pat Zachary. Of course Zachary is better known as one of the players (along with Dan Norman and Steve Henderson) who the Mets got in the Tom Seaver trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUnTeX
Sorry it took me so long. I fell asleep.

Santiago is correct. Neither Gwynn nor Winfield won..

The other winner was in 1976 and is one of baseball's least known. Butch Metzger was 11-4 with 16 saves that year and was the co-winner with Reds pitcher Pat Zachary. Of course Zachary is better known as one of the players (along with Dan Norman ans Steve Henderson) who the Mets got in the Tom Seaver trade.
And…..Doug Flynn

Reactions: colbert17
I am okay with the format but feel it diminishes the regular season.
It does but it adds excitement in the playoffs. Mets peaked early and for a while after the all star break and have been pretty good but not great down the stretch. If I were a Dodgers fans I may be a little more pissed off.

congrats rut and colbert. rootng for the friars to get to the ws as i took them to win the national league at good odds before the season started.
Philly worries me more than the Dodgers did.

I wanted Atlanta.

It does but it adds excitement in the playoffs. Mets peaked early and for a while after the all star break and have been pretty good but not great down the stretch. If I were a Dodgers fans I may be a little more pissed off.
I don’t disagree but if that is enough to make the regular season less important why not expand the playoff and shorten the season to end Labor Day weekend

Let every team over 500 in and if you have an odd number the highest winning percentage gets a bye

I don’t disagree but if that is enough to make the regular season less important why not expand the playoff and shorten the season to end Labor Day weekend

Let every team over 500 in and if you have an odd number the highest winning percentage gets a bye
Why not shorten the season? I think you know the answer:

MLB: We are considering shortening the season to 140 games, and end Labor Day weekend.

MLBPA: Excellent suggestion.

MLB: Of course, we intend to prorate all contracts accordingly.

MLBPA: See ya.

$$$$$$

Not following you. Mets made World Series in 2015 . And it was a different format then the one that started this year
Just saying I don’t mind it. Mets won 90 games in 2015 and got hot and made the WS was my point. If we go back the the original format until the early 90’s the Mets don’t even make the playoffs this year and they had a great season with 101 W’s. That would have sucked if they didn’t make it and the Mets did have some great teams not make the playoffs. So no complaints here that we lost to the Padres.

I also like the 3 games series more than the 1 game playoff but would rather see best of 5 than best of 3 and of course beat of 7 is ideal to me because players and teams are streaky. Maybe a best of 5 round 1 and then best of 7 for the test. Probably would need to shorten the season as Tom is saying.

Colbert: Having been raised in Los Angeles and living here since graduation from Rutgers in 1970 (don't ask how I ended up at RU) I have been a super Dodger fan since my dad took me to see the Dodgers in 1959 at the Coliseum. Tommy Davis was my hero as was the greatest left-hander in National League history. Having said all this, I am actually happy for the Pads. Baseball games are played on the field, but LA media has always gone too far in being snarky against the Pads and the city of San Diego. I am objective enough to appreciate what Bob Melvin has done, and hard not to admire the Padre players. I am still so sorry for the way LA fans and media skewered Yu Darvish in 2017 for a bad world series outing against the Houston trashcan bangers.
This series hurt, but the better team won.
C'mon, Pads, make it to the WS and trash the Astros.

MLB: We are considering shortening the season to 140 games, and end Labor Day weekend.

The extra playoff rounds add income

Give the players additional roster spots

That strikes me as a one-sided view. Shortening the season would cut into the owners' revenue just as much. Owners are just as "greedy" as players, if not more so.

Wheeler game 1, Nola game 2, Suarez game 3. Then it’s a matter of if we bring Wheeler and Nola back on short rest for 4 & 5 depending upon days off, or if we start Syndergaard in game 4.

I wouldn't bet my life on Suarez in G4. He's been sucking big time. I'd rather see them turn Synnnddderrrrrgyuaaard (Whatever) around for G3, give Eflin a shot or even Gibson.

I wouldn't bet my life on Suarez in G4. He's been sucking big time. I'd rather see them turn Synnnddderrrrrgyuaaard (Whatever) around for G3, give Eflin a shot or even Gibson.
I would think in a Suarez/Musgrove match up the Padres would have the advantage. I'm just basing this on Joe's performance over the past month. I'll admit I don't think I've even seen Suarez pitch this year.

There's no going back from this format. More playoffs = more games which =more $$$$$. Neither the owners nor the players nor the networks will change that.

I would think in a Suarez/Musgrove match up the Padres would have the advantage. I'm just basing this on Joe's performance over the past month. I'll admit I don't think I've even seen Suarez pitch this year.

He was a s good as anyone until September. It's like he overdrawn on innings or something. He's been getting murdered. Bad enough that I wouldn't be surprised with a switch.

Honestly I’ll take Java Joe against any pitcher in MLB.

He’s the heart and soul of this team. Even when he doesn’t have his best stuff it’s like the team is just so completely locked in for his starts.

I love Snell getting 2 home games and Darvish/Musgrove can pitch wherever.

Doubt you saw this @colbert17 so figured I’d post it for you.

This is Ha-Seong Kim’s translator haha. Team just seems like they’re super close and enjoying the ride like they should.

The Gangnam Goose!

Yes, and he was never even close to being the same after that.
In 77 he was hurt. Some kind of nerve damage I think and no he never was the same.
Interesting tidbit. In 1976 he was 16-3 at the All Star break. No one has matched that pre- break win total since and the way pitchers are used now no one probably ever will.

Last edited:
NO ONE had the Phillies and Padres in the NLCS. Dodgers choked harder than the Mets
Both the Phils and Padres are playing lights out @ exactly the right time of year.
I'm a Mets fan, but give credit where it is due . Unlike many on here.
Sometimes the other team just gets it done. It's not always a choke. That's why it's a competition and not a stats debate.
Examples:Buckner ground ball was a choke. Musgrove's pitching performance against the Mets was something special. Tip your hat when when appropriate.

• Wow
Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Randy Jones once pitched a complete game in one hour and twenty nine minutes against the Phils. It didn't hurt that Jim Kaat was his opponent.

Pretty sure I remember that game. I remember feeling ripped off that the game was over so soon.

In 77 he was hurt. Some kind of nerve damage I think and no he never was the same.
Interesting tidbit. In 1977 he was 16-3 at the All Star break. No one has matched that pre- break win total since and the way pitchers are used now no one probably ever will.
My dim recollection is that his key pitch was a sinker -- or was it a split-finger fastball? By today's standards, he was hugely overused in 1976 (I think you said he had forty starts -- there were still teams that used a four-man rotation those days). My recollection also is that the Padres had much better attendance on days he pitched -- people would call the ticket office and ask for a day on which he'd be starting. You probably remember that he finished his career with the Mets and was completely ineffective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT