ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What a Feeling!!!!!

Randy Jones once pitched a complete game in one hour and twenty nine minutes against the Phils. It didn't hurt that Jim Kaat was his opponent.

I looked it up, and the shortest major league game on record is 51 minutes, played between the Giants and the Phillies on September 28, 1919. I don't think it's a coincidence that was the next to last day of the season. The Giants won 6-1, by the way, and both pitchers pitched complete games. Ray Miller, the long-time Orioles pitching coach, wore a t-shirt reminding his pitchers to, among other things, work fast -- but I don't think he had this in mind!

Reactions: colbert17
Being a Padre fan for 52 years it's hard to describe the joy I feel tonight. Sure I want to go on all the way to the WS championship but knocking out the Dodgers is one of sweetest moments in sports for me.
Also there were more than a few posters here in the spring of 2019 who ridiculed Manny when he signed saying he made a mistake and I remember this comment specifically "he's just signed on to a decade of playing meaningless games". Another called San Diego "baseball purgatory". Well I guess you guys were wrong.

For you Philly fans I think it'll be a great series and I hope that we have something left in the tank after this week.

Go Pods!!!

@The RUT must be going crazy now at Petco.
Congrats

Randy Jones once pitched a complete game in one hour and twenty nine minutes against the Phils. It didn't hurt that Jim Kaat was his opponent.

back when i was a kid and used to read the box scores every morning, it was pretty normal for games to be done in about 2 hours.

My dim recollection is that his key pitch was a sinker -- or was it a split-finger fastball? By today's standards, he was hugely overused in 1976 (I think you said he had forty starts -- there were still teams that used a four-man rotation those days). My recollection also is that the Padres had much better attendance on days he pitched -- people would call the ticket office and ask for a day on which he'd be starting. You probably remember that he finished his career with the Mets and was completely ineffective.
I ‘member. ☹️🙄

Honestly I’ll take Java Joe against any pitcher in MLB.

He’s the heart and soul of this team. Even when he doesn’t have his best stuff it’s like the team is just so completely locked in for his starts.

I love Snell getting 2 home games and Darvish/Musgrove can pitch wherever.
No horse in this race but it's refreshing to see teams not named Alabama, Patriots or the Warriors celebrate success. Hats off to the Padres and hope they can keep it rolling, unless they meet the Yankees at some point of course 😃

No horse in this race but it's refreshing to see teams not named Alabama, Patriots or the Warriors celebrate success. Hats off to the Padres and hope they can keep it rolling, unless they meet the Yankees at some point of course 😃
We need some 1998 revenge!

Yanks get over the Astros hump and we get to beat the Yanks in the WS. Sounds like a fair trade to me 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Crazed_RU
back when i was a kid and used to read the box scores every morning, it was pretty normal for games to be done in about 2 hours.
This will show my age, but . when I was about 10, Yankees games would start at 8 p.m. (I watched the Mets once they were established, but I was a Yankees fan.) My curfew was 10 p.m. There were lots of times when games were close to over by then, and my mom would give me permission to stay up for a while. The games were almost always done by 10:15, and never later by 10:30.

Congrats, Nate. You are, quite obviously, one of the good guys on this forum. Was a bit of a Colbert fan, back in the day. The yellow sanis made that uniform rock!

Reactions: colbert17
About 15% of the Guardians (what a stupid name) roster is ex-Padres. Naylor Quantrill, Miller, Hedges

Have to wonder if Quantrill would have been able to win at LA in NLDS game 1 instead of Clev.

Did we pass up on a sweep?

Have to wonder if Quantrill would have been able to win at LA in NLDS game 1 instead of Clev.

Did we pass up on a sweep?
We won the series, all our pitchers are on full rest, I'm not looking back. That being said that trade was one of Prellers swings and misses.. The trade boils down to Naylor/Quantrill for Clevinger. Clevinger got hurt right away and he's a FA after this season.

We won the series, all our pitchers are on full rest, I'm not looking back. That being said that trade was one of Prellers swings and misses.. The trade boils down to Naylor/Quantrill for Clevinger. Clevinger got hurt right away and he's a FA after this season.
My question is, do you re-sign?

In all honesty he’s not that bad of a #4. If you can get him on a reasonable contract I think you bring him back.

He’s just struggled with the Dodgers big time, and Manaea has been a massive disappointment for me after a great start to the year.

My question is, do you re-sign?

In all honesty he’s not that bad of a #4. If you can get him on a reasonable contract I think you bring him back.

He’s just struggled with the Dodgers big time, and Manaea has been a massive disappointment for me after a great start to the year.
Both will be FAs. Manea makes about $10 million, Clevinger is on the second year of a 2 yr/$11million contract.
Myers, Drury and Bell also are FAs. This takes about $40 milion off the books so there are a lot decisions to be made.
However these are all questions for another day,

Both will be FAs. Manea makes about $10 million, Clevinger is on the second year of a 2 yr/$11million contract.
Myers, Drury and Bell also are FAs. This takes about $40 milion off the books so there are a lot decisions to be made.
However these are all questions for another day,
Wonder what Wil would go for on the open market. Love having him on the team.

Excited to see what happens, but game 1 tonight! Let’s go Dads!

Good to see no traditional powers, but go Yankees 🤔

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Good to see no traditional powers, but go Yankees 🤔

OK - let's speak facts though. It's a long time since the late 90's and certainly no one cares about the 60s and 50s. Since 2009.

Alabama - '09, '11, '12, '15, '17, '20
Warriors - '15, '17, '18, '22
Patriots - '15, '17, '19
Yankees - '09

The Cubs, Nationals, Royals, Bucks, Raptors, and Cavaliers have just as many championships as the Yankees in the last 20 years.

Reactions: wicker
ADVERTISEMENT