ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What Craft Beer are you Drinking for Thanksgiving?

Tuborg Gold.

Tuborg Gold ???

Cant tell if you were joking or not as this being a craft beer.
The Tuborg marketers have done a great job if they have led the US beertards to believe that it is a craft beer!

Back in the 70's, Tuborg Gold was one of the most widely advertised, mass produced, mass marketed beers here in the US. Just as ubiquitous as the Buds / Millers/ Coors products. Tuborg Gold was the first beer my friends and I drank as teenagers. Then moved up to Bud and Milwaukee's best !!

Our coolers in the Yellow lot and the Thanksgiving table has always been, and will likely always be mostly filled with Bud and Rolling Rocks!!

Got a growler of a hefeweisen from RAR Brewing in Cambridge, MD at a recent festival.

I really don't understand the animosity towards people who like beer that is designed to taste good and not just to produce as much as possible for as cheap as possible.

I think the animosity comes from people like you implying that someone who prefers Budweiser over a craft beer is tasteless and cheap.

Reactions: bigbirdRU
I think the animosity comes from people like you implying that someone who prefers Budweiser over a craft beer is tasteless and cheap.
Dutch, thank you... that's exactly my point- I work in the yard and like a bud lite, not a frigging' chocolate malt stout, and not that doesn't mean i have no taste or buy because im cheap, i like it. Just like Killians red and Honey Brown, your fad will end and you'll be holding a Zima by the end of 2018.

Reactions: RUDutch
I can't handle and craft beers. I get a terrible headache if it's too dark or hoppy. Give me a Molson or Stella.

Craft beers don't have to be dark and hoppy. I actually prefer a good, balanced pilsner over a bottle of potable Pine-Sol, especially in warm weather.

Of course, if you're happy with Molson and Stella, that's cool, too. The moral of this thread should be: Drink whatever the fck you want, don't worry if the guy next to you is drinking something different, and don't worry about what he thinks about your drink.

Firestone Walker 20th Anniversary Ale and Oskar Blues Bourbon Barrel Aged Ten Fidy is out in my neck of the woods now.

Had a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech Lexington Brewing last week. Was surprised at just how much bourbon shined through - tasted almost like it had half a shot in it. Smooth, though. Think it'd make a great Thanksgiving beer, probably before dinner, not during or after. Two of the best Thanksgiving drinks in one.

Reactions: RUPete
Craft beers don't have to be dark and hoppy. I actually prefer a good, balanced pilsner over a bottle of potable Pine-Sol, especially in warm weather.

Of course, if you're happy with Molson and Stella, that's cool, too. The moral of this thread should be: Drink whatever the fck you want, don't worry if the guy next to you is drinking something different, and don't worry about what he thinks about your drink.
Exactly Fanu. Drink what you like. For the record, lagers and pilsners are making a comeback in the craft world as well, such as Delco Lager from 2SP or PC Pils by Founders.

Had a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Alltech Lexington Brewing last week. Was surprised at just how much bourbon shined through - tasted almost like it had half a shot in it. Smooth, though. Think it'd make a great Thanksgiving beer, probably before dinner, not during or after. Two of the best Thanksgiving drinks in one.
If you are in PA, and can afford it, get your hands on a Prairie Bomb. For a brewery in Tulsa Oklahoma, they absolutely destroy it on the dark beers.

Dutch, thank you... that's exactly my point- I work in the yard and like a bud lite, not a frigging' chocolate malt stout, and not that doesn't mean i have no taste or buy because im cheap, i like it. Just like Killians red and Honey Brown, your fad will end and you'll be holding a Zima by the end of 2018.

Lol at Zima.

Microbreweries don't appear to be going anywhere, though. Beyond their success here, they've been slowly expanding to Germany, the most hard-nosed, traditionalist beer country in the world. People are now accustomed to having that selection, don't see it going back to 10 styles of light, watery pilsner from giant American corporations anytime soon.

Exactly Fanu. Drink what you like. For the record, lagers and pilsners are making a comeback in the craft world as well, such as Delco Lager from 2SP or PC Pils by Founders.

Yeah, I got into hoppy pilsners this summer, seemed to be a number of them from various breweries. A nice amount of hops without going overboard the way IPAs often do (for my taste) and still light enough to be refreshing at a sunny BBQ.

And was just out in CA, where Austria's Trumer brewery licensed their recipe to a local brewery. Good stuff. Austrian beers are every bit as good as German ones, but underrated, imo.

I don't care if someone prefers Budweiser, I was responding to someone referring to people who enjoy craft beer as "beer tards" and that he hates hearing people ask about the taste of a beer at a bar. I'm not saying that people who drink Budweiser are tasteless or cheap, just that the beer is. It is made with mass production in mind over quality, but hey if that's what you drink then fine, go ahead and enjoy it, but there's no need to bash people who prefer something else.

Why isn't it enough to just say that you like Bud Light? Why the need to knock craft beer? Also if you don't like craft beer, why did you even bother opening this thread? If the thread was "What wine are you drinking for Thanksgiving," I wouldn't jump in with some comment mocking wine drinkers because while I personally don't care for wine, it doesn't bother me that other people do.

I also think it's funny that you think craft beer will die out in two years, and I don't understand why you are so bothered by it. Killian's, which was made by Coors, and Honey Brown are irrelevant these days because for people who want something more complex than a light lager, there are tons of much better options than those two beers now.

Dude, Anchor Steam started in the 1980's, Sam Adams in the 90's.t e

Dude, Anchor Steam was started in the 1980's, Sam Adams in the early 90's (if not earlier), and the craft beer movement began in Oregon and California in the 80's.
So this "fad" you mention is now over 30 years old.
It is here to stay as there are more than 3,000 breweries in the U.S. alone.
NJoy your Bud Lite.

This is silly. I keep a stock of Bud Light in my fridge for when I'm doing work around the house, especially in the summer. It's great for after doing yard work. But when I'm with company or on a holiday when I'm not slamming beers, I like something more substantial. As a matter of fact, I'm well past the age when I ever drink more than a couple of beers. If I want to tie one on, I switch to bourbon (Larceny is my current favorite, not sold in NJ, though).

As for Thanksgiving, I'm going with Magic Hat #9 and Black IPA this year. To be honest, it's been too warm, so my tastes haven't changed over to the stouts yet. The Black IPA is a good compromise.

Hoof Hearted....and Wednesday a 120 minute IPA which is only ok. But on tap is rare so what the heck.
8f6b3658a482eb93debf33e309a90cf3_320x320.jpg

There are some snobs who denigrate anyone not drinking an "in" beer and then there are the d-bags who prattle on and on incessantly about every tiny detail of their favorite beers, as if anyone, other than a fellow beer snob, cares.

I have plenty of friends who drink craft beers and simply like the beers and will talk a bit about them, but not to excess (usually) - that's not an issue - it's the types above who are annoying.

Reactions: mikershoein
There are some snobs who denigrate anyone not drinking an "in" beer and then there are the d-bags who prattle on and on incessantly about every tiny detail of their favorite beers, as if anyone, other than a fellow beer snob, cares.

I have plenty of friends who drink craft beers and simply like the beers and will talk a bit about them, but not to excess (usually) - that's not an issue - it's the types above who are annoying.

On the plus side, you can always counter by prattling on about "more than anyone ever wanted to know about the weather." :D

Reactions: wisr01
Won't be bringing my own, but I am hoping there will be some Screaming Hill, IPA preferably, at my thanksgiving destination.

Played out that way last Christmas and it was a pleasant surprise indeed.

As for Thanksgiving, I'm going with Magic Hat #9 and Black IPA this year. To be honest, it's been too warm, so my tastes haven't changed over to the stouts yet. The Black IPA is a good compromise.
Go stand outside for a half hour, the transition will be quick.

I have a shiver stuck in my right now.

In my neck of the woods Tired Hands is a legitimate cult in the Main Line of Philly. Only Void and the Milkshake IPA series are must tries.

I have been to Tired Hands in Ardmore, PA a few times and believe that they are the leader in the clubhouse of microbreweries in the Philly area. They also make great artisan bread and have nice food options.

Now living in SW FL I would tend to migrate to a Marshall Zhukov stout from Cigar City, or another local microbrew. But for this year I will take the advice of another poster above who touted a good Cali Cabernet or Italian Barolo red wine. I've got some well aged reds in the closet and this is a good reason to crack 1 or 2 open with dinner on Thanksgiving.

Coors is foreign owned. Most, if not all, craft beers mentioned here are American

Born in America from German-Belgian roots, Coors merged with Canada's Molson in 2004-5. Not exactly foreign-owned, as if that really matters, since what Coors you drink here is brewed in the States. A classic "cold one" and a great choice for summer sipping.

As for Guinness, there's no finer brew on the planet, a timeless gift to the world from the Emerald Isle. Absolutely terrific when the weather turns soft, or in winter months.

Fancy? No. Complicated? No. Honest? Yes.

Reactions: RC71
I used to really like Guiness. But with all the micro brew stouts out there Guiness now comes off as flavorless.

And maybe that is the beef some have with micro brews, too much flavor?

My slumming beer is Corona with 2 limes. In the heat of summer that is my go to.

I used to really like Guiness. But with all the micro brew stouts out there Guiness now comes off as flavorless.

And maybe that is the beef some have with micro brews, too much flavor?

"Too much," yes, in general.

Anyone try Alementary, the brewery in Hackensack? They opened last year and still haven't gotten there. Was thinking of getting a growler or two for Thanksgiving.

Hofbrau Winter Special is new this year. A doppelbock that has been changed from the initial 2012 version. Formally 6.3% now 8.4% and awesome.
St Bernardus Christmas is outstanding. The ABT 12 with a slight spice profile added.
However Thanksgiving is a marathon if you are a football fan. I have been saving great Oktoberfest brews for Thursday. No need to act like an amateur in front of family and friends

Well I gotta say - love anything with grapefruit - there are some really good ones out there. Problem with some/alot of these craft brewers is overdoing it with the hops - yes there is a problem with a very hoppy taste. The Leinenkugel line is very good at avoiding the over hoppy taste -+ and is very deft at brewing smooth tasting beers.
The cranberry ginger goes great with Turkey and leaves room for the pie.

The cranberry ginger goes great with Turkey and leaves room for the pie.
That crap isn't beer. And one of my favorite breweries Two Roads has a similar beer which I just tapped this morning. Looks like the juice from a cranberry jelly can. Smells awful. I'm not a fruit and beer fan at all.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
ADVERTISEMENT