ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What Craft Beer are you Drinking for Thanksgiving?

That crap isn't beer. And one of my favorite breweries Two Roads has a similar beer which I just tapped this morning. Looks like the juice from a cranberry jelly can. Smells awful. I'm not a fruit and beer fan at all.
How about the oatmeal chocolate stout with dessert ?

Firestone Walker 20th Anniversary Ale and Oskar Blues Bourbon Barrel Aged Ten Fidy is out in my neck of the woods now.
I got two cases at my store of the Firestone XX Aniversary today. Sold out within mins. $30 per. Plenty of Ten Fidy. Should last until the end of today.
Black Friday is the release of Goose Island Bourbon County. That will also be sold out in minutes too.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Also Victory is releasing both their Java Cask and their Rye Whiskey Aged Java Cask, and Neshaminy Creek is releasing both their Bourbon Barrel Aged Punkless Dunkel and their White Chocolate Pumpkin Porter.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I have been to Tired Hands in Ardmore, PA a few times and believe that they are the leader in the clubhouse of microbreweries in the Philly area. They also make great artisan bread and have nice food options.

Now living in SW FL I would tend to migrate to a Marshall Zhukov stout from Cigar City, or another local microbrew. But for this year I will take the advice of another poster above who touted a good Cali Cabernet or Italian Barolo red wine. I've got some well aged reds in the closet and this is a good reason to crack 1 or 2 open with dinner on Thanksgiving.

Was just down on Marco Island the last 2 weeks and man did I enjoy a few of the Cigar City beers. Good stuff! Wish I could find up here in central NJ.

Also Victory is releasing both their Java Cask and their Rye Whiskey Aged Java Cask, and Neshaminy Creek is releasing both their Bourbon Barrel Aged Punkless Dunkel and their White Chocolate Pumpkin Porter.
I live a few blocks from NeshimnyCreek Brewing. Good friends with all the people there.
I still have a bottle of the first BBA pumpkin. We are going to crack it open next week and compare it to this year's. The Big difference is that the current version spent over a year in the barrel. First was just months.

I live a few blocks from NeshimnyCreek Brewing. Good friends with all the people there.
I still have a bottle of the first BBA pumpkin. We are going to crack it open next week and compare it to this year's. The Big difference is that the current version spent over a year in the barrel. First was just months.
I am getting 2 bottles each of the Java Cask and the Rye Aged Java Cask. I always drink one and age the other.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Having Forgotten Boardwalk's bourbon barrel aged Porter, a variant of their flagship smoked Porter.
Interesting, young brewery based in Cherry Hill. I thought the owner (female) was an RU grad, but I may be mixing up my breweries.

I took off work until Monday and am drinking the Fat Heads Holly Jolly, which is their Christmas Ale. It tastes just like a Belgian Tripel. About to crack open the Bell's Christmas Ale and Hofbrau's Winter Spezial.

Having Forgotten Boardwalk's bourbon barrel aged Porter, a variant of their flagship smoked Porter.
Interesting, young brewery based in Cherry Hill. I thought the owner (female) was an RU grad, but I may be mixing up my breweries.
If you are in South Jersey, get to Double Nickel in Pennsauken and Spellbound in Mount Holly. Both are very solid especially Double Nickel. Tonewood in Oaklyn is up and coming as well.

Reactions: WhiteBus
If you are in PA, and can afford it, get your hands on a Prairie Bomb. For a brewery in Tulsa Oklahoma, they absolutely destroy it on the dark beers.
Prairie Bomb is 1 of the best. They also have a few variations of it, Birthday Bomb, Christmas Bomb, Pirate Bomb. If you like Bomb, then you should check out Perennial Abraxas, if you haven't, as it's even better.

Prairie Bomb is 1 of the best. They also have a few variations of it, Birthday Bomb, Christmas Bomb, Pirate Bomb. If you like Bomb, then you should check out Perennial Abraxas, if you haven't, as it's even better.
I've had Abraxas...one of the best dark beers around. I've had nearly every big name Dark Beer out there. I've had both Prairie Bomb and Birthday Bomb...hoping Pirate Bomb and Christmas Bomb make it to Philly by PBW. Darkness by Surly is another one that's rare but a must get. I think outside of Three Floyds Dark Lord and Cigar City Hunahpu, there aren't many left to cross off my bucket list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
I've had Abraxas...one of the best dark beers around. I've had nearly every big name Dark Beer out there. I've had both Prairie Bomb and Birthday Bomb...hoping Pirate Bomb and Christmas Bomb make it Philly by PBW. Darkness by Surly is another one that's rare but a must get. I think outside of Three Floyds Dark Lord and Cigar City Hunahpu, there aren't many left to cross off my bucket list.
Dark Beer fans need to get Epic Big Bad Baptist from Salt Lake City. They also have the Double Barrel Aged Big Bad Baptist and the Mexican Chocolate Big Bad Baptista coming soon as well.

Reactions: Leonard23
Dark Beer fans need to get Epic Big Bad Baptist from Salt Lake City. They also have the Double Barrel Aged Big Bad Baptist and the Mexican Chocolate Big Bad Baptista coming soon as well.
I've been to Epic in SLC, great place but in SLC the draft beers can not top 4% in alcohol, so most order in bottles, where the % is unlimited.

I've been to Epic in SLC, great place but in SLC the draft beers can not top 4% in alcohol, so most order in bottles, where the % is unlimited.
Exactly. That's why the two SLC Heavyweights, Epic and Uinta, have most if not all of their big beers via bottle.

Exactly. That's why the two SLC Heavyweights, Epic and Uinta, have most if not all of their big beers via bottle.

Most of the big UT microbreweries have their regular 4% lineup in supermarkets and gas stations and then higher-proof beers in the state liquor stores. I'd imagine it's more the latter that are exported to other states. Some breweries focus more on one or the other. Epic is more higher-proof beers in liquor stores, whereas Uinta has a mix of both. Its specialty beers in the 750ml champagne-style bottles (liquor stores) are usually the best of the bunch.

As a Philly resident, I truly am spoiled by the rich craft beer culture of the city. That said, what craft beers will you be drinking when the turkey is carved? I have the Funky Buddha Sweet Potato Casserole for dinner, and the Victory Rye Aged Java Cask for dessert. Both delicious!!

I'll start out with a few Yards' Thomas Jefferson Ales (and at 8 percent ABV all it takes is a few) and finish off with an Anderson Valley Winter Solstice or two, depending upon how many Yards beers I have.

Can't wait.

It's what the Vikings drank.

Gotta love those Danes and their Tuborg and Carlsberg! Actually, found some local Danish beers with better flavor when I was in Copenhagen back in '04. Tuborg was what my dad, who drank cheap bland flavorless beer, introduced me to in the 80s as a teen because it's what he could afford. To me it was what you drank for beer if you actually didn't like beer but apparently didn't know it.....like, why subject yourself to that. He also liked certain English ales but couldn't get them readily back then.

Over the past 10-15 years, I've generally migrated a bit more away from American crafts/micros to imports (mostly English/Irish, Belgian, German, and some Czech). Call me a Euro beer junkie. Some of it has been brewed for as long as USA has been a country if not longer. Nothing to do with fads or a trend toward better flavored beer that is definitely not going away.

But, yes, agree with some of the comments above that one of the latest trends (<5 years) in the American craft market seems to push flavors a bit too far for my liking, especially the way-overhopped IPAs that appears to be a Gen Y/Millenial thing that I could do without. I was practically an IPA junkie for a couple years in the mid-late 90s, now I barely have one or two of them over the course of a year. My biggest disappointment these days is walking into a bar or a brewpub with say 8-10 taps available and 6-8 of them are strictly varieties of IPA.

Reactions: BuckRU
I think the animosity comes from people like you implying that someone who prefers Budweiser over a craft beer is tasteless and cheap.
No one is impmying the drinker is tasteless and cheap, people are saying that the beer is tasteless and cheap in comparison to craft beer. Why are people so damn sensitive? A bunch of beer snowflakes I tell you!

Went to Carton last night, got a growler of Boat, and a halfy of school of hops, which is a small batch hoppy 8% black ale. Wasn't in love with it on the tester, but wanted something different, and strong.

I really wanted to get their Wang Brew, a 6.5% sour porter, but they were not filling growlers, which is such a tease.

But, yes, agree with some of the comments above that one of the latest trends (<5 years) in the American craft market seems to push flavors a bit too far for my liking, especially the way-overhopped IPAs that appears to be a Gen Y/Millenial thing that I could do without. I was practically an IPA junkie for a couple years in the mid-late 90s, now I barely have one or two of them over the course of a year. My biggest disappointment these days is walking into a bar or a brewpub with say 8-10 taps available and 6-8 of them are strictly varieties of IPA.
I only got into the IPA's maybe 10 years ago. Troegg's Nugget Nectar got me hooked. I still go IPA 80% of the time.

My dissapointments are bars with no IPA's. Which somehow still happens.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Goodness gracious. I know the question was beer, but this is Thanksgiving were talking about. The correct pairings are Viognier, Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Pinot Noir, and Syrah. Those are exactly what will be all over my table shortly.

Goodness gracious. I know the question was beer, but this is Thanksgiving were talking about. The correct pairings are Viognier, Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Pinot Noir, and Syrah. Those are exactly what will be all over my table shortly.
Gotta have something for dessert, and that's where a nice Imperial Stout like Dogfish Head World Wide Stout comes in.

Cigar City is available in PA. Limited but available.

Now that Cigar City has been sold to Oskar Blues, expect CCB beers to be brewed in Oskars new facility in Asheville, NC in 2017. That should make it widely available on the east coast.

One of the benefits of living in FL is that you can buy many CCB brews in the grocery store. I recently bought a sixer of Jai A'lai IPA at Publix that was canned just two days earlier.

Reactions: MulletCork
I'm hoping PA gets Westbrook from Charleston, South Carolina some time soon. They are distributing to NY so its only a matter of time given the strong distribution network of Philly and Eastern PA.

Now that Cigar City has been sold to Oskar Blues, expect CCB beers to be brewed in Oskars new facility in Asheville, NC in 2017. That should make it widely available on the east coast.

One of the benefits of living in FL is that you can buy many CCB brews in the grocery store. I recently bought a sixer of Jai A'lai IPA at Publix that was canned just two days earlier.

Thanks for the info. I am not up on this stuff and didn't realize Cigar City got bought.

I agree on the being able to buy beer in the grocery store. Last week was a treat to pick up some Jai A'lai and also Florida Cracker at the Winn Dixie when the wife dragged me there for ice cream!

Twin Elephant Brewing opened up in Chatham this year. I'll be headed there after today's hoops game to fill up some growlers.

No one is impmying the drinker is tasteless and cheap, people are saying that the beer is tasteless and cheap in comparison to craft beer. Why are people so damn sensitive? A bunch of beer snowflakes I tell you!

I wasn't being sensitive, I was trying to enlighten robcac26 who said he didn't understand the animosity of macrobrew drinkers to microbrew drinkers. Robcac26 said the beer was tasteless and cheap (unlike you, he left out "in comparison to craft beer" which makes so much more sense). Doesn't saying that someone drinks something tasteless and cheap imply that the drinker is also tasteless and cheap? It does to me, so I guess in your eyes I'm sensitive. Then again, I drink a lot of water, the ultimate tasteless and cheap beverage.

Was just down on Marco Island the last 2 weeks and man did I enjoy a few of the Cigar City beers. Good stuff! Wish I could find up here in central NJ.
cigar city is at Stirling fine wines,Stirling NJ(long Hill TWP).varries what they have,last week they had Florida Cracker.They usually have Jalia lia
take in a Yankee spring training game next spring and head to the brewey first..awesome awesome fresh on tap!
https://cigarcitybrewing.com/beers/cigar-city-distribution/

Last edited:
My favorite seasonal, Mad Elf. A few of those and I forget that I'm talking to the in-laws.

Also look for Dallas Sucks from Weyerbacher for the Eagles vs Cowboys game this weekend, but also will work with the Thanksgiving day games. I haven't found it in any liquor stores in Somerset County yet though. Beermenus says they have it in Milltown, so I'll probably take a trek over there to see if they have it tonight or tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT