ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is the deal with Rutgers New Brunswick giving out academic scholarships

ETS changed the scoring system somewhere in the early 90's and the scores were increased. IIRC the typical score was bumped up around 30 points. Also IIRC it was the scores on the English portion that had begun to decline and precipitated the move. Kids just weren't getting as many writing assignments as in the past.
Thanks, hadn't heard that. So I can say my 1980 1510 is now a 1540 lol.

would love to hear about that story & connect !
Since I recently joined the RU Chem/Biochem Eng'g Industrial Advisory Board, it's probably time to go public with a few things aimed at increasing visibility of giving back to Rutgers to encourage others, as well as improving the stature of the department, so will probably post something during the week - have my 2nd vaccine dose in 3 hours, though, and assuming I might be a bit out of commission for the next day or so. Always interested in connecting with folks who are involved in helping improve things at RU (guessing you are, given your signature)...

I know a graduate from a northern NJ public school that finished second or third in her class...... her dream school was Duke followed by North Carolina....
She got early acceptance into Duke, which was fine, but her dad kept lamenting that RU accepted her with no scholarship money.... I believe Duke came up with some money for her

Insulted by it all, even though RU was clearly down the list
This isn't an uncommon occurrence

I get grade inflation, but has there been that much SAT inflation too? Is that 1500 out of 1600? I think there were maybe 5 of us at that level in my HS class of 400.

Yes.

And it also has to do with demographics, and the emphasis placed on education and huge emphasis placed on testing, amongst segments of our student/parent population. Some start SAT prep in 9th grade. Of those in that group of 50 - most of them are shooting for highly selectives. Many will attend RU only if their short list of schools that are “worth” 70K don’t work out.

Very few of our higher end students will actually attend UMD/PSU over RU - it’s the group below that group that will choose the comparable out of state publics. The top group would, however, choose a shorter list of OOS publics: GTech, UNC, UMich, Berkeley, UCLA, Texas, UVA.

Last edited:
Yes we would qualify.
Perhaps in terms of academic merit your child should have gotten scholarship money (regardless of need) but as it's hyper competitive for the Honors College it could be that there are even stronger academic students who were offered merit/scholarship money first. Keep in mind some of these HC admits may decide to attend college elsewhere so my guess is some scholly money that gets offered but ultimately not taken could very well be redistributed later on in the cycle, even up until sometime in the summer or right up until fall orientation and the first day of classes. I don't know for sure one way or the other but if they have to grant those monies in this academic year and can't just hold it for next year's entering class, then some remaining HC students who do enroll at RU may be the beneficiaries.

As far as need-based aid, filing the FAFSA and its NJ counterpart is a requirement so did that process render that your family qualifies for zero aid? Not even loan money? If you believe your family qualifies based on financial need, maybe try to schedule a meeting (virtual) with the financial aid office in NB and see what you can learn about why they can't put some package together for you.

Yes.

And it also has to do with demographics, and the emphasis placed on education and huge emphasis placed on testing, amongst segments of our student/parent population. Some start SAT prep in 9th grade. Of those in that group of 50 - Most of them are shooting for highly selectives. Most will attend RU only if their short list of schools that are “worth” 70K don’t work out.

Depends on what you mean by demographics. The "highly selectives" all have much more diverse student bodies, and not limited to the increase in Asian students. And their acceptance of kids from the top prep schools are very different than 50 years ago and a WHOLE different world than 60 years ago.

Since I recently joined the RU Chem/Biochem Eng'g Industrial Advisory Board, it's probably time to go public with a few things aimed at increasing visibility of giving back to Rutgers to encourage others, as well as improving the stature of the department, so will probably post something during the week - have my 2nd vaccine dose in 3 hours, though, and assuming I might be a bit out of commission for the next day or so. Always interested in connecting with folks who are involved in helping improve things at RU (guessing you are, given your signature)...

good luck on your shot. hopefully minimal or light side effects for you.
I don't know why I can't direct message you (maybe that was a premium only feature that I lost when I dropped off premium?). But anyways , shoot me an email and lets connect on RU things. I'm involved outside of athletics as well. queenz152002@yahoo.com

ADVERTISEMENT