ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is YOUR worst choke job in the history of sports???

tico brown

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
Because of yesterday’s EPIC, CHOKE JOB by Manchester City, when they lost their Champions League Semifinal after giving up 2 goals in the last minute to Real Madrid:

WHAT IS CONSIDERED THE WORST CHOKE JOB IN PROFESSIONAL OR COLLEGE SPORTS, EVER????

GO…

Last edited:
Oh I thought you meant my personal choke job.
That would be a much more fun thread.
I don't really have much though.

I won a free throw contest during a Knight of Columbus basketball league in middle school.
Went 15-15.

Advanced to next round - regional or something.
Made another 15. Except it was out of 25 this time.

I should clarify.
I don't have much due to a lack of opportunities to actually choke.

Not due to an overwhelming sports history of success.

Reactions: goru1869
This is an interesting and very subjective topic .

Mets up 7 with 17 to play and blew the whole lead in 14 games in 2007. That was a prolonged choke against teams like the marlins . Maybe the worst.

Yankees up 3-0 on Boston and lose the series .

Pete Carroll not running with marshawn . I don’t know if that’s a choke , but maybe the worst call in football history . Russell Wilson doesn’t get enough flak for throwing a terrible pass too

Fassel and the Giants choking away that playoff game against the 49ers . I know the Buffalo comeback over houston was bigger . But the giants were just a comedy of errors in that one.

Red Sox - Stanley and schiraldi in 1986.

Falcons choking away super bowl against pats.

John starks game 7 1994

Rutgers related - 1999 hoops team choking away a bid down the stretch . Hodgson dribbling off his leg symbolizes that stretch of losing something like 4 of last 5. You can also put the 2004 team choke up for discussion too

Some will put Townsend drop in end zone. I wouldn’t, but it’s fair game for discussion .

Mets up 7 with 17 to play and blew the whole lead in 14 games in 2007. That was a prolonged choke against teams like the marlins . Maybe the worst.

Pete Carroll not running with marshawn . I don’t know if that’s a choke , but maybe the worst call in football history . Russell Wilson doesn’t get enough flak for throwing a terrible pass too

Fassel and the Giants choking away that playoff game against the 49ers . I know the Buffalo comeback over houston was bigger . But the giants were just a comedy of errors in that one.

John starks game 7 1994

Rutgers related - 1999 hoops team choking away a bid down the stretch . Hodgson dribbling off his leg symbolizes that stretch of losing something like 4 of last 5. You can also put the 2004 team choke up for discussion too

Some will put Townsend drop in end zone. I wouldn’t, but it’s fair game for discussion .
Thanks for giving me flashbacks with three of those events lol.

Reactions: Plum Street
Chris Webber timeout . He also walked in the backcourt and they didn’t call it . I still wonder where the hell was the PG jalen rose ??

Kentucky choking away a lead late against st. Peter’s.

Gonzaga - almost yearly until they win.

Rutgers Louisville 2012 - choking a lead and sugar bowl bid against a one legged qb.

Reactions: superfan01
John starks game 7 1994

1)I look at Starks in 1994 as the clock striking midnight and he turned back into a pumpkin. He was playing well above his level for awhile's and that game ended that run.

2)Rutgers B-ball in last years tourney has to be amongst the worst Rutgers choke jobs.

Reactions: Plum Street

On the RU related games

Hodgson had the ball slapped off his leg as he drove towards the basket
I would call that a game saving defensive play more than a failure by our player

few fans seem to remember the ending sequence of the WV triple OT fb
game
Had Townsend caught the pass, WV could still have tied it up with the next possession

We settled for a field goal after the drop, and WV got a field goal to tie it up

WV would have had to convert a 4th down to keep the game going if we had gotten the td, but did not have to after the drop

They then got the field goal

But victory was not certain with a catch there by Townsend

I am pained more by the last game fb loss to the Ville in football after getting a late lead and the controversial penalty call on a fake field goal td play

The Houston bb fold at the end also was a painful loss

Reactions: redking

So were the refs.

I'm not going to put in the 14 minutes to watch this right now, but I bet it's painful.

How bout Norman? Was it him that had the epic choke job back in the day?
Norman choked a bunch of times at the Masters. However, that was a prolonged choke over the course of the day(s). This one was a single hole.

Reactions: RU-05
One summer in Mickey Mantle League baseball, I was asked to pitch because our starter couldn’t find the plate and the coach remembered I had been a good pitcher when I was younger. Hadn’t pitched for a couple of years but still dreamt of getting back to the mound one day.

I walked to the bull pen and stretching my arm soft tossing. Made two throws and then I let one slip over the bullpen fence.

Coach yanked me. From the bullpen! Hahaha

That was it! Never pitched in a game after that.

On the RU related games

I would call that a game saving defensive play more than a failure by our player

game
Had Townsend caught the pass, WV could still have tied it up with the next possession

We settled for a field goal after the drop, and WV got a field goal to tie it up

WV would have had to convert a 4th down to keep the game going if we had gotten the td, but did not have to after the drop

I am pained more by the last game fb loss to the Ville in football after getting a late lead and the controversial penalty call on a fake field goal td play

Yes the houston loss. That was bad.

On the Townsend drop , that’s why I said I wouldn’t put it as a choke but I think some will and that’s why open to discussion

On the RU related games

game

I agree hodgson play wasn’t a choke . The overall team performance was . It’s just that play symbolizes that stretch of losses

Reactions: wheezer

John starks game 7 1994

The Mets not only choked away 2007 but had an encore choke the very next season! To make matter worse their rival Phillies won the WS that year.

Reactions: redking
The Mets not only choked away 2007 but had an encore choke the very next season! To make matter worse their rival Phillies won the WS that year.
last year the mets faded after being in first for a good stretch...

this year I fear the same....I always keep tabs on the Braves, and you can never count them out, no matter how far back

Smarty Jones' jockey in the Belmont.
Wasn't Stewart Elliot's fault. Smarty Jones should have never raced in the Belmont. The horse had major issues in all of his legs. Smarty Jones never raced again because he was almost lame. They were lucky he didn't break down in the Belmont.

Reactions: famousbill19
2008 was not a choke job . I don’t think they had a lead .
Both years they were 1 game out with 2 to go

November 19, 1978. OC Bob Gibson/Joe Pisarcik. Up 17-12 seconds remain fall on the ball game over. Nope they call for a hand off to Larry Csonka, fumble, Herm Edwards scoops and scores for the win.

Last edited:
Maryland blowing a 20-point lead and losing in 2001 ncaa basketball semifinals to Duke.

The ten-billion times Terrapins have been favored in ncaa lacrosse title game, but came up short.

Sorry Zappa, but '79 Orioles going back to Baltimore up three games to one...

Maryland blowing a 20-point lead and losing in 2001 ncaa basketball semifinals to Duke.

The ten-billion times Terrapins have been favored in ncaa lacrosse title game, but came up short.

Sorry Zappa, but '79 Orioles going back to Baltimore up three games to one...
How about being up 35-10 with 2:50 to go till the half and losing 41-38. That one had to hurt. Just some good natured ribbing from a fan of your adopted 2nd team.😀

Reactions: Section124
The answer is the 1964 Phillies. If you don't know the story, you should google it. In short, they led the NL for the entire season. Were up by 6.5 games with 12 to play. World Series promos were created by the media. Tickets were printed. Going into a 7-game homestand, Gene Mauch decided to go to a 2-man rotation of Bunning and Short. They lost 10 in a row and finished 2nd.

Rutgers offense can't pick up a first down. This is a recurrent choke.
That is incorrect. What you are referring to is not a choke. It is ineptitude.

By definition, a choke is when the pressure of the situation (for example, the end of a very important game) gets to you. As a result, you perform differently and less effectively than you normally would.

By that definition, the Houston NCAA game is a good example of a choke. The pressure got to us, and we played differently and less effectively. We got away from the things that got us the lead in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT