ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is YOUR worst choke job in the history of sports???

The Phillies blowing a 7-0 lead to the Mets on May 5th, 2022.
Don't think this is the worst because context in these things matter, but it sure is a damn impressive way of blowing it by the Phillies

anchorman-comedy.gif

Last edited:
This is an interesting and very subjective topic .

Mets up 7 with 17 to play and blew the whole lead in 14 games in 2007. That was a prolonged choke against teams like the marlins . Maybe the worst.

Yankees up 3-0 on Boston and lose the series .

Pete Carroll not running with marshawn . I don’t know if that’s a choke , but maybe the worst call in football history . Russell Wilson doesn’t get enough flak for throwing a terrible pass too

Fassel and the Giants choking away that playoff game against the 49ers . I know the Buffalo comeback over houston was bigger . But the giants were just a comedy of errors in that one.

Red Sox - Stanley and schiraldi in 1986.

Falcons choking away super bowl against pats.

John starks game 7 1994

Rutgers related - 1999 hoops team choking away a bid down the stretch . Hodgson dribbling off his leg symbolizes that stretch of losing something like 4 of last 5. You can also put the 2004 team choke up for discussion too

Some will put Townsend drop in end zone. I wouldn’t, but it’s fair game for discussion .
The Yankees up 3-0 does it for me. Just unbelievable.

I don't consider losing a 3-1 lead in a seven game series against an equal opponent to necessarily be a choke. That just happens in sports.

TBH I think we throw the "choke" word around far too loosely.
I do, but I also try to be stingy about throwing that word around.

They were heading back to Baltimore with three HOFish pitchers scheduled to start three games. They should have won at least one of those games...

Me personally - I lost in the IBJJF (Jiu Jitsu) finals after being up 10-0 with less than 2 minutes remaining. Would have been a huge win for me in a very prestigious tournament.

The ref made a horrible call (my opponent should have been DQed) and I got so pissed off that I lost my focus and then the match.

If I was smart, I would have stalled until I regained focus. I completely choked.

My biggest choke was when I was playing American Legion baseball against Hasbrouck Heights. I begged my coach all season to let me pitch even though I was a starter at third base. He finally relented and let me pitch the last game of the season. At Heights, I was pitching a complete game, leading 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth. HH has men on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs when the batter hits a comebacker to me on the mound and I proceeded to throw it over the first baseman's head and 2 runs scored costing us the game. It still haunts me almost 50 years later.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
My biggest choke was when I was playing American Legion baseball against Hasbrouck Heights. I begged my coach all season to let me pitch even though I was a starter at third base. He finally relented and let me pitch the last game of the season. At Heights, I was pitching a complete game, leading 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth. HH has men on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs when the batter hits a comebacker to me on the mound and I proceeded to throw it over the first baseman's head and 2 runs scored costing us the game. It still haunts me almost 50 years later.
That is the definition of a choke - when the pressure of the moment causes you to perform at a lower level than your norm.

Most so-called chokes do not meet that definition.

That is the definition of a choke - when the pressure of the moment causes you to perform at a lower level than your norm.

Most so-called chokes do not meet that definition.
I don't know Doctor Worm. I appreciate ScarletNut sharing his pain, and I don't know all the details of the game, but in what was apparently his first outing on the mound he pitched 9 solid innings and made a bad throw to first on what may have been the first comebacker he had ever fielded at the position. Maybe it was a slow roller and he had to rush the throw to try to catch the runner at first? In any event, disappointing yes, an error sure, but worst choke job ever? I think ScarletNut is being too hard on himself 🙂 Now the Phillies last night...

The Phillies blowing a 7-0 lead to the Mets on May 5th, 2022.
As a Met fan I’m glad this happened but it doesn’t compare to blowing a 7 game lead with 17 to play in 2007. One of the great sports meltdowns of all time.

Easily Yankees blowing a 3-0 series lead against Boston and leading in the 8th inning of Game #4.
Unbelievable they lost that series. Started Boston’s great run in the MLB.

Reactions: colbert17
Buckner to me wasn't the choke. That was just the last play. All the plays leading up to the Stanley wild pitch need to be included (which tied the game). The Buckner play just won it for the Mets. The decision to leave Buckner in the game is all part of it.

Reactions: Plum Street
I don't know Doctor Worm. I appreciate ScarletNut sharing his pain, and I don't know all the details of the game, but in what was apparently his first outing on the mound he pitched 9 solid innings and made a bad throw to first on what may have been the first comebacker he had ever fielded at the position. Maybe it was a slow roller and he had to rush the throw to try to catch the runner at first? In any event, disappointing yes, an error sure, but worst choke job ever? I think ScarletNut is being too hard on himself 🙂 Now the Phillies last night...
Trust me, it was an easy play. I choked. Thanks for the attempt at defending me though

Buckner to me wasn't the choke. That was just the last play. All the plays leading up to the Stanley wild pitch need to be included (which tied the game). The Buckner play just won it for the Mets. The decision to leave Buckner in the game is all part of it.
This is true.
Similar to the Cubs in 2003. Everyone blames Bartman, but it was Alex Gonzalez who booted an easy doubleplay ball, that was really the issue.

Reactions: Section124
Was on the right side of a choke some time back coaching in summer league softball. Semifinal game of tournamen, top of 7th with tie score. Two out, runner on third and one of our weakest hitters up. She taps the ball back to the mound, pitcher can easily end inning throwing to first, but is fixated on runner at third. Finally realizes hey I just need the out at first where batter has been hustling toward the bag and it will be close. Proceeds to hurry throw and it sails about 5 feet over first baseman’s head, runner from third scores. We hold them in bottom of inning and go on to win the final a couple of days later.

ADVERTISEMENT