ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What moves should Yankees make at trade deadline/offseason

Spare130

All American
Dec 1, 2012
Beltran and Texiera will be gone after this season either way. Chapman is only signed thru the end of this season. We could probably get somebody solid in a deal if we ship him. I dont think hes in the long term plan. Texiera will be easily replaced by Bird.. I would go after a starting pitcher first, as I am losing trust in Tanaka.

Beltran and Texiera will be gone after this season either way. Chapman is only signed thru the end of this season. We could probably get somebody solid in a deal if we ship him. I dont think hes in the long term plan. Texiera will be easily replaced by Bird.. I would go after a starting pitcher first, as I am losing trust in Tanaka.

Pitching is always a good thing. There's also needs at 1B, 3B and OF if the opportunity arises. There is a thought that says once the Yankees are done with hefty contracts this and next year among Texiera, Beltran, Rodriguez and Sabbathia, the Yankees will be players in an expected 2018 rich free agent market. So find the complimentary pieces now while you can get a lot for a hot Beltran or one or more of the closing relief core. Start playing Byrd, Judge, Refsnyder, Sanchez, this, and next year and see what you've got.

Last edited:

Losing trust in Tanaka ?
Pineda, Eovaldi, and Nova all have ERAs over 5.

If things continue as they are, I would love to see the Yankees trade:

1) Chapman
He's not going to re-sign here anyway, and hopefully you can get a decent return.

2) Beltran
Teams are always looking for bats for the postseason

3) Teixeira
Same as Beltran but a much lesser scale. Maybe he can pick things up and show some value for a contending team.

In return, the Yankees priorities should be:

1) Starting Pitching
They need young pitching in the worst way.

2) 3B
Headley clearly isn't the answer, and it doesn't seem the Yankees have an organizational replacement for 3B in the works. They need to get someone there they can prime for 3B - If the Texas Rangers could ever part with a guy like Gallo who is basically ready to go for them at AAA but blocked by Beltre, that could be huge.

3) Any other young talent at any position
Let's face it, the Yankees need to get younger across the board.

Looking at it again. Trading a guy like Chapman to Texas for Gallo would be good for both sides. Definitely worth looking into IMO.

Best move they could make is to rescind their offer to host one of RU home games next years.

Move 1 is replace Frank Cashman.

Move 2 is get the Steinbrenner sons to start spend against or nothing else matters.

Move 3 is insist to Tanaka to have surgery .

Trade Gardner and Ellsbury for what's they can get. 2 disappointments. Texeira's contract, as well as ARods make them intradeable, just eat their contracts.

So far the young starters have been a bust. Maybe trade them too. In retrospect, the Yanks are in a bind for a long time.

Move 2 is get the Steinbrenner sons to start spend against or nothing else matters.

Trade Gardner and Ellsbury for what's they can get. 2 disappointments. Texeira's contract, as well as ARods make them intradeable, just eat their contracts.

So far the young starters have been a bust. Maybe trade them too. In retrospect, the Yanks are in a bind for a long time.
Nobody is taking Ellsbury's contract! Same with Hedley. Gardner, McCann, Chapman, Miller, Tex, Beltran and Eovaldi should be on trading block. Team needs a rebuild!

Who knew they had another Cashman working for them :)

Reactions: RUDave_01
Trade Kirby Yates to the Nationals for Daniel Murphy or Bryce Harper...

Didn't Beltre basically announce that he is done after this year? Could be mistaken, but I seem to remember that.

Headley, after his awful start, is up to .250 with 5 HRs. Great numbers? No, but not awful. His fielding has been much better too this year. The Mets could use his production at 3rd...

Who is Frank Cashman? There used to be a Frank Cashen who was GM of the Mets (1980's teams) and an exec with Orioles (1960's championship teams). But he passed away a number of years ago.

Who is Frank Cashman? There used to be a Frank Cashen who was GM of the Mets (1980's teams) and an exec with Orioles (1960's championship teams). But he passed away a number of years ago.

The father of Yankee GM Brian Cashman, lol. I hadn't had my coffee at that point. lol

Let me preface this and say I'm a cardinals fan. Would the Yankees consider Gardner for Randall Grichuk? Power hitting CF who hasn't put it together yet and I'm not sure ever will.

As a Yankees fan My hope is they start to load up the farm system and start trying to homegrow players

Dump Cashman for someone who has a clue and replace Girardi that would be a good start.

Best move for the Yanks is to play one out of seven home game at Rutgers Stadium.

Bring old Yankee Stadium back. The new Yankee Stadium is as sterile and antiseptic as the new Giants/Jets stadium.

Reactions: Abro1975
Sell anyone who can get something in return. Play young kids in 2017. Get under luxury tax in 2017. Hit free agency hard in 2018.

This year and next year mean nothing.

Chapman to the Cubs is a must. They need a closer BAD and have tons of young talent. Will most likely happen and we will get a very nice return, probably Schwaber and someone. Can still sign Chapman back if we want. I wouldn't trade Miller though unless you get a ton back, which you probably won't. Trade Beltran too if you can. Should be able to get a second tier minor league pitcher.

Chapman to the Cubs is a must. They need a closer BAD and have tons of young talent. Will most likely happen and we will get a very nice return, probably Schwaber and someone. Can still sign Chapman back if we want. I wouldn't trade Miller though unless you get a ton back, which you probably won't. Trade Beltran too if you can. Should be able to get a second tier minor league pitcher.

Yeah...Chapman to the Cubs looks like a no-brainer. And somebody will grab Beltran if the Yanks fade soon.
Personally, I'd love to see them get rid of Headley and Gardner too.

Just burn the whole team down. Keep the couple young guys like Byrd, Judge, Sanchez. Hopefully they can hold on to Betances and/or Miller. But everyone else is garbage pretty much. Only fvcking Cashman would pay a guy like Chase Headly over 50 million fvcking dollars. I could've called Ellsbury being a huge disappointment a mile away. Outside of his glove and the couple months where he carried the team, Tex has been a tremendous let-down. Sabbathia is done. Pineda is an injury waiting to happen and another colossal waste. Tanaka will go the way of Irabu and Igawa. I loved Gardner's speed and fire when he came up but he can't live up to that contract either. Starting pitching is a disaster, farm system is a joke. But we also did get 5 rings in the last 20 years so...I guess there's that.

Just burn the whole team down. Keep the couple young guys like Byrd, Judge, Sanchez. Hopefully they can hold on to Betances and/or Miller. But everyone else is garbage pretty much. Only fvcking Cashman would pay a guy like Chase Headly over 50 million fvcking dollars. I could've called Ellsbury being a huge disappointment a mile away. Outside of his glove and the couple months where he carried the team, Tex has been a tremendous let-down. Sabbathia is done. Pineda is an injury waiting to happen and another colossal waste. Tanaka will go the way of Irabu and Igawa. I loved Gardner's speed and fire when he came up but he can't live up to that contract either. Starting pitching is a disaster, farm system is a joke. But we also did get 5 rings in the last 20 years so...I guess there's that.
Sabbathia is far from done. He is throwing really really well this year. He is a fine number 3 or 4. The farm system is FAR from a joke. We have some studs down there. It is better than it has been in many years. Top 10 farm system in baseball. You say hopefully hold onto Betances and Miller? It's our choice if we hold onto those guys are not so I am not sure what that means. If we make the right moves at the trade deadline and this off season we can be right back in the mix. We need Severino to figure things out and become a 1 or 2, but we are close.

Eat the last year of ARod's contract. Watching him trot down to first is an existentially painful experience.

Sabbathia is far from done. He is throwing really really well this year. He is a fine number 3 or 4. The farm system is FAR from a joke. We have some studs down there. It is better than it has been in many years. Top 10 farm system in baseball. You say hopefully hold onto Betances and Miller? It's our choice if we hold onto those guys are not so I am not sure what that means. If we make the right moves at the trade deadline and this off season we can be right back in the mix. We need Severino to figure things out and become a 1 or 2, but we are close.

Alright. Agree to disagree. I think we are staring down the barrel of several years of intense mediocrity. For many more reasons than JUST the players. Management and front office included. We aren't paying Sabbathia to be a 3 or 4 first of all, so unless he wants to take a pay-cut, then I don't believe he is worth hanging onto, also going to be 36 in a few weeks. I don't care how the farm system looks on paper, I want to actually see some kids get real playing time and develop into solid starters, I feel like the Yankees should be better at developing talent. We've only just pulled this group out of the gutter since we sold off so many of our prospects in the last 2 decades that we have hurt for homegrown talent. The type of young, hungry talent that has teams like the fvcking Royals and Astros playing good baseball again, as if I expected to see that in my lifetime. What I meant by hold onto them is not get chippy and trade them away for something else. If its almost guaranteed we lose Chapman, then we really need to hang on to one or both of them. Unless the deal offered is completely absurd. Severino I don't think has the ability to be a 1 or a 2. I think he could be a solid 3-4 but that will kill everyone because he has the talent to be a 1 or a 2. And I know that he's been filthy as of late, but lest we forget he started the season 0-6 with an ERA over 7. So he has to show much much more consistency before he gets thrown into that fire.

Who cares what we are paying Sabathia? It is not my money and he only has one year left. So your plan is to cut a guy and eat his salary when he is pitching very well? How would it benefit us to cut him? I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the farm system so I am not sure how to answer that. Byrd and Severino have already shown they have skills at the big league level. Judge will be called up soon. Sanchez has shown a little. Not sure where to put Mateo right now. I think we get Schwaber for Chapman which will be perfect for both teams.

The reason the Astros and teams like the Royals were able to stock up with young talent was because they stunk and had high draft picks. They Yankees recently have realized with the new rules that the days of signing big time free agents is almost over so they have adjusted and kept some youth. They resisted trading our young guys at the last deadline. This is a big trade deadline for management. It is also a tough decision because right now we are two out in the loss column for a wild card. I would tend to say blow it up and trade Chapman and Beltran, maybe Miller too and get some big league ready guys and a few top prospects.

Who cares what we are paying Sabathia? It is not my money and he only has one year left. So your plan is to cut a guy and eat his salary when he is pitching very well? How would it benefit us to cut him? I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the farm system so I am not sure how to answer that. Byrd and Severino have already shown they have skills at the big league level. Judge will be called up soon. Sanchez has shown a little. Not sure where to put Mateo right now. I think we get Schwaber for Chapman which will be perfect for both teams.

The reason the Astros and teams like the Royals were able to stock up with young talent was because they stunk and had high draft picks. They Yankees recently have realized with the new rules that the days of signing big time free agents is almost over so they have adjusted and kept some youth. They resisted trading our young guys at the last deadline. This is a big trade deadline for management. It is also a tough decision because right now we are two out in the loss column for a wild card. I would tend to say blow it up and trade Chapman and Beltran, maybe Miller too and get some big league ready guys and a few top prospects.

Its a question of return on investment. Sabbathia isn't worthy of #1 ace money anymore. I'm not advocating just cutting him, that's stupid. I just don't know if its worth resigning him if he isn't willing to take a significant pay cut. Which would obviously free up cash to try and take a swing at some of the big free agents that will be coming up in the next couple years. But I think we've all grown somewhat tired of that method. Cashman relied on that stuff when we had the core 4 because they represented the missing pieces. Now we have missing pieces all over the roster. The jury is still out on pretty much all our young talent, and that's my point. There's almost no one that you can look at and say, "Yea he is going to be a contributor for this team for years and years to come." All these guys have a hole somewhere in their game that needs improvement before they will be quality day-in, day-out starters in this league. And I know the Royals and Astros stock piled talent for years. I just think this is the natural ebb and flow. We had our times in the sun for the last 20 years, now we have to pay the price of sucking tremendously so we can possibly rebuild the infrastructure for the future. Part of me just wishes we would give these kids more opportunity to play and stop beating a dead horse, trotting a bunch of 30-40 something year old guys out there every night. Because it would take a miracle for this team to be there at the end of the year. Even then, it doesn't feel like a team that could make any sort of run at it and it hasn't felt that way for a long time. And that's weird as a Yankee fan to not have hope. I still don't know what to do with Girardi. I've always loved Joe for everything and I think he is a good manager. I can't tell if its his decision-making or the guys he's making decisions with that are the bigger problem. I want to lean towards the latter.

Eat the last year of ARod's contract. Watching him trot down to first is an existentially painful experience.
I"ve have not experience him trotting to first very often, more often I see
him trotting back to the dug out after striking out. I don't entirely agree
don't eat his contract just the last year, to it tonight. Mark T. also.

I"ve have not experience him trotting to first very often, more often I see
him trotting back to the dug out after striking out. I don't entirely agree
don't eat his contract just the last year, to it tonight. Mark T. also.

Should have said trotting to first BEFORE he trots back to the dugout. 5-4-3 double play.

The first two moves, that is easy. Cashman and Geradi. Cashman took over
a world champion team. let it get old and just can't get his act together.
AS far as Geradi goes he doesn't have a clue. Let him go tonight with Cashman
When Cashman knew we were losing Dave Robinson and Robinson
Cano he should have traded them for anything, but not losing them for
nothing.

Who knew they had another Cashman working for them :)
I agree Cashman was George's limo driver, in his early 30's,
George took a liking to him and made him the GM of a team that
had just won the World Series. That had the core four, and many more.
Then let all go to crap.
As far as Tanaka goes he has been pitching well, but get very little
support, but it looks like he needs the extra days rest. In Japan
it was always 6 days.

But anyway I agree, it is more pain full to watch him play, then any Yankee
I have watched in the last 65 years.

Mickey Mantle, with his knees, at the end of his career was no day at the beach either.

But anyway I agree, it is more pain full to watch him play, then any Yankee
I have watched in the last 65 years.
But a different kind of pain, with Mantle our hearts were with
him. With A Roid we are watching a lying, drug using, cheater that sued
his team, his doctors. Cashman and Steinbrenners need to grow
some balls and let him go. they will be greatly respected from most
fans. Oh yeah, he even went up against his own union, and the
players did not back him up. When the Yanks extended him 10 years
as a 32 year old, it was a combination of A Roid greed and the Yanks
f ing up.

As a Yankee fan, I hope they play sub 500 baseball, Beltran, Betances & Chapman stay healthy, Headley & Gardner go on a tear, and alot of teams are realistically in the mix for the playoffs. There should be a market for Beltran and to a somewhat lesser extents for a hot Gardner and Headley. Might not get can't miss prospects, but you should get players with a decent shot at the majors. Miller is the most valuable player from a trade standpoint, but he is signed for the next 2 seasons at 'reasonable' money. I believe Betances is arbitration eligible so I would want to see what teams would offer for him. Basically, I'd put Betances and Chapman out there and hope for a bidding war.

NYC is no longer the free agent destination it once was . For all sports but especially since it's greatest salesman, George Steinbrenner, left us. Wait on the kids and draft wisely .

I think Ny is still a big destination for free agents. The problem is with the rules the way they are today other teams are able to lock up their players before they become free agents like the Angels did with trout.

Rick we agree to disagree. They can make as much in endorsements anywhere without having to deal with the NYC media. And the Yankees are not the winners they once were. ..George got guys to play here through $$and force of will.

I'd love to see Mark Cuban buy the team. Hell, give Jeter, Rivera and some other Yankee greats some minority interest.

ADVERTISEMENT