ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where are affluent people moving?

Answer = Not NJ

"However, it’s worth noting that the states at the bottom of the ranking still have a higher-than-average percentage of households earning over $200,000. The 10 lowest-ranked states’ share of high earners averages 8.79%, compared to 6.82% for all tax filers nationally."

"However, it’s worth noting that the states at the bottom of the ranking still have a higher-than-average percentage of households earning over $200,000. The 10 lowest-ranked states’ share of high earners averages 8.79%, compared to 6.82% for all tax filers nationally."

But California and NY have the highest reductions, and the cost of living likely played a role in their higher earnings.

But it's not all Sun Belt. New Hampshire and Maine were both net gainers.

Reactions: Knight Shift
"D.C. has the largest proportion of high-earners, while West Virginia has the smallest. Households earning at least $200,000 per year make up 12.19% of all tax filers in the District of Columbia. The nation’s capital is one of only four places – along with Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts – where high-income filers comprise more than 10% of all tax returns. "

"D.C. has the largest proportion of high-earners, while West Virginia has the smallest. Households earning at least $200,000 per year make up 12.19% of all tax filers in the District of Columbia. The nation’s capital is one of only four places – along with Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts – where high-income filers comprise more than 10% of all tax returns. "
to extend on that.

3.27m households in NJ x ~10% = 327,000 households making 200k or more. you're talking an net outflow of 1,833 households...making up a total of...0.5%. whoopty ****ing do.

Lots of people in my area are moving to freaking Delaware for retirement. They get out of NJ for obvious reasons, but then stay close for family. Crazy stuff.

Reactions: miket007
to extend on that.

3.27m households in NJ x ~10% = 327,000 households making 200k or more. you're talking an net outflow of 1,833 households...making up a total of...0.5%. whoopty ****ing do.
My company transferred a boatload of employees down to San Antonio but most earns less than $75k. The employees making $200k and over, Corporate HQ, all stayed in New Jersey. I heard they transferred the jobs to get rid of them due to the pension plan, new employees weren’t eligible for a pension. A couple of years later, they are now transferring those Texas jobs outside the USA.

• Sad
Reactions: rurichdog
My company transferred a boatload of employees down to San Antonio but most earns less than $75k. The employees making $200k and over, Corporate HQ, all stayed in New Jersey. I heard they transferred the jobs to get rid of them due to the pension plan, new employees weren’t eligible for a pension. A couple of years later, they are now transferring those Texas jobs outside the USA.
What’s a pension plan?

here in NJ, NYC has been moving to our state. The number of NY license plates on the GSP and surrounding Red Bank is somewhere between 10 -20%. They are doing us favors in property values but bringing NYC liberals to NJ is going to severely damage our state in the long run.

Reactions: BlockR and gmay8
So so so many cali plates here in Texas…so many! Driving insane increases in real estate. The same house (brand new) that I got for $250K in 2019 now sells, used, in the same neighborhood for $380K…at least I bought low…

In addition to California lots of Oregon Washington and New Mexico plates

here in NJ, NYC has been moving to our state. The number of NY license plates on the GSP and surrounding Red Bank is somewhere between 10 -20%. They are doing us favors in property values but bringing NYC liberals to NJ is going to severely damage our state in the long run.
New York has the highest per capita GDP in the nation: the average economic output per year per person was $93,463 in 2021. Much of the rest of the country should be so severely damaged, like last place Mississippi at $42,411, less than half.

Reactions: ecojew and RU848789
Somehow us folks in the northern states have to stop supplementing the southern states with our federal tax dollars, then it won't so attractive to move to those places
One plus to working in the northeast is that more working couples earn enough during their careers that both earners max out on Social Security benefits when it’s time to hang it up.

Somehow us folks in the northern states have to stop supplementing the southern states with our federal tax dollars, then it won't so attractive to move to those places

You should advocate for the return of military bases.

No income tax, much lower property taxes. Maybe not boarding but don't count out private schools.
Yep , those State attributes help offset cost.
I found this in a quick google:
The average private school tuition in Texas is $10,349 per year (2022). The private elementary school average tuition cost is $10,035 per year and the private high school average is $11,521 per year.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Western NC is inundated with "Floridiots" this time of year, many of which are transplanted folks from the northeast and rust belt. Many keep a primary residence in FL and a second here. Summer here, and winter there.

You should advocate for the return of military bases.
Ft. Bragg will soon be renamed Ft. Liberty. Fun fact: much of Ft. Bragg comprises land once owned and donated by the Rockefeller family. When I lived in Pinehurst, I spent some time hiking around their old homestead, some of which is a state park. So that's Yankee-land, in a sense. As was Pinehurst, too. Developed by a gent from MA as a winter resort for northeasterners.

I have a friend who bought a place in Florida and will now live down there 6 months out of the year and work remotely to avoid paying NJ taxes. What he saves in taxes will basically cover his mortgage.

I have a friend who bought a place in Florida and will now live down there 6 months out of the year and work remotely to avoid paying NJ taxes. What he saves in taxes will basically cover his mortgage.
I wonder if this would apply to your friend, since he'll not be a permant resident of Florida??
Residents Working in Another State
You are not obligated to withhold New Jersey Income Tax if a New Jersey resident meets all three of the following:
• Employed totally outside New Jersey;
• Subject to the withholding tax of that state; and
• The withholdings required by that state equal or exceed the withholdings required for New Jersey.
If the employee works only part of the time out of state or the other state’s withholding tax rate is lower than New
Jersey’s, you must withhold New Jersey taxes in addition to the other state to offset the employee’s resident income
tax liability.

What about the 50 plus days over 100 degrees? When I lived in Houston for 8 years, I don’t remember one day over 100 degrees , the high being normally mid 90’s and I also worked in San Antonio which was milder than Houston. It getting hotter in Texas and expect it to get worse in the next few years. I think 20-30% of relocations will move out after 2-3 years.

Then we need to elect a stronger congressional delegation that will fight for NJ residents and get a return on our federal tax dollars.

He’s going to come up a day short. Need to be out 6 months and a day. Don’t laugh I’ve heard of people being a couple of days short and it delayed their so called tax savings plan another year.

Reactions: czxqa
Then we need to elect a stronger congressional delegation that will fight for NJ residents and get a return on our federal tax dollars.
The last time such numbers were calculated (more than 10 years ago), New Jersey got back 2 dollars for every 3 dollars it put in to the federal government, the worst of any state. California, New York and New Jersey combined put in $100 billion more than they got out, a massive subsidizing of the rest of America (a trillion dollars over a decade). That's a lot of money that pumps up the economies of other states and would help CA, NY and NJ grow faster and lets other states keep their taxes lower. Then those states brag about their low taxes.

He’s going to come up a day short. Need to be out 6 months and a day. Don’t laugh I’ve heard of people being a couple of days short and it delayed their so called tax savings plan another year.
Lol, I think he’s planning 6+

Lol, I think he’s planning 6+
Was half joking. Receiving states don’t care you need to prove to NJ that you’re gone. Trust and Estate Attorney buddy of mine told me about a client that got screwed because he came back up to NJ for an emergency and ended up meeting with clients for a week. NJ was okay with the emergency excuse but dinged him on the meeting with clients. That week put the guy under the 6 months and a day.

"D.C. has the largest proportion of high-earners...
What's the major industries in DC? What do they build?

Oh, that's right.. giant budget deficits and national debt. OF COURSE THEY ARE RICH.. THEY PRINT THE MONEY and make us pay for it! Not quite accurate.. they make us, and our children, and our childrens' children and their children.. pay for their wealth now with what they will be unable to make later.

The kids gotta stop looking at the oceans and the climate and start looking at DC... that's what's going to doom them.

ADVERTISEMENT