ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where are affluent people moving?

Disagree. No one buys a $200K car to impress themselves.
Maybe not to impress themselves. But people buy expensive sports cars for various reasons, some to impress others, some because they're really into cars, and some because they really like driving and they are gonna drive it like they stole it. All one needs to do is visit any high-end sports car forum to see those three categories of people in action.

I fly alot. Always sit economy. Im no giant, im 5’9 but you can deal with an extra hour or two in an uncomfortable seat for a savings of $500-$1000
IIRC, didn't you come from a fairly middle to lower middle class upbringing?
I did, and while we (wife and I) have done well, we are frugal and don't spend on things we consider wasteful. We were both raised by Depression-era parents, which influenced us. I grew up lower middle class.

Examples of our frugality:
1. Flying first class. Only once or twice during pandemic, but it was cheap. Not worth it.
2. Cars. We don't buy super expensive ones, and keep them a long time.
3. Home. Very modest and well below what we can afford.
4. Meals in expensive restaurants. We don't eat out that much.
5. Hotels- we are fine with mid level hotels such as Hampton Inn, etc.
6. Subscriptions-we are misers. I will not subscribe to premium here. We cut out Sirius/XM-only $7/month, but we were not using it, so why pay. These things add up.
7. Coffee- rarely buy at WaWa, Dunkin Donuts, its. Not worth the cost or effort. Make it at home.
8. Our major luxury is a vacation home in Sedona, but we consider this more of an investment at this point. We will make more on the home than if we had invested in the stock market. We made a lot on the previous home we owned in Sedona. Real estate has been good to us.

I did, and while we (wife and I) have done well, we are frugal and don't spend on things we consider wasteful. We were both raised by Depression-era parents, which influenced us. I grew up lower middle class.

1. Flying first class. Only once or twice during pandemic, but it was cheap. Not worth it.
6. Subscriptions-we are misers. I will not subscribe to premium here. We cut out Sirius/XM-only $7/month, but we were not using it, so why pay. These things add up.
7. Coffee- rarely buy at WaWa, Dunkin Donuts, its. Not worth the cost or effort. Make it at home.
8. Our major luxury is a vacation home in Sedona, but we consider this more of an investment at this point. We will make more on the home than if we had invested in the stock market. We made a lot on the previous home we owned in Sedona. Real estate has been good to us.

Nice sensible list.

Do you rent the home in Sedona? Or just appreciation?

Disagree. No one buys a $200K car to impress themselves.
try It. Cars are terrible examples because they are meant to be flashy. There are plenty of hobbies where only a small segment would know how much you spent on it.

Wha’s next? Cheap booze.

Nice sensible list.

Do you rent the home in Sedona? Or just appreciation?
We could rent, but we will not.
The house is truly a green house with a nearly zero carbon footprint. Solar power, all electric HVAC, kitchen, even the fireplace. Costs next to nothing in electric. Zeroscaped with nothing to water. Plants are native and were on the property. Taxes are $2-3,000/year.
House was new in late 2020. We could sell now for about 80-100% more than what we have into it. If the market crashes like it did in 2008-09, we will still be OK. We were damn lucky to get the lot in one of the best areas of Sedona and luckier to have started construction before the pandemic and prices spiraled out of control. Makes up for horrific stock investments we made when we were younger. 🤣

Reactions: miketd1 and fsg2
Maybe not to impress themselves. But people buy expensive sports cars for various reasons, some to impress others, some because they're really into cars, and some because they really like driving and they are gonna drive it like they stole it. All one needs to do is visit any high-end sports car forum to see those three categories of people in action.

I think having a massive garage dedicated to your sprawling rare car collection needs to factor into your rich/affluent/wealthy definitions.

If you keep a lawn mower or woodworking tools in the same building as your Ferrari ...well, you might just find yourself moving to duck taxes in the near future.

Reactions: mildone

Correct. This is the house I lived in until I was 10.
Didnt have my own bedroom until 5th grade but we had a ton of fun haha. We have a big family and we were raised on experiences being far more valuable than material items. I do very well for myself now at 30 years old. I have a higher net worth than 99.999% of my peers nationwide but not a ton has changed besides I travel more now than when I was growing up.

I share alot of your same 8 listed. Im disciplined in the sense that I believe in only spending what my cashflow from real estate investments allows me to + income from commission checks. I DO NOT touch my principal of my investments. I let that grow and thats how wealth accumulates. Theres really nothing within reason I cant do.

The house is truly a green house with a nearly zero carbon footprint. Solar power, all electric HVAC, kitchen, even the fireplace. Costs next to nothing in electric. Zeroscaped with nothing to water. Plants are native and were on the property. Taxes are $2-3,000/year.
House was new in late 2020. We could sell now for about 80-100% more than what we have into it. If the market crashes like it did in 2008-09, we will still be OK. We were damn lucky to get the lot in one of the best areas of Sedona and luckier to have started construction before the pandemic and prices spiraled out of control. Makes up for horrific stock investments we made when we were younger. 🤣
You should airbnb it with a 3 night minimum at a steep price. I just stayed at an airbnb in sedona, prices were really good for hosts

We're pretty frugal, too, and are well-aligned with your list, especially 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 (and don't have a 2nd home despite having the funds for it) and will add one. My wife doesn't drink alcohol at all (health reasons) and I rarely do - plenty of times we've been out at the bar and our friends have $100 bar tabs, while ours is $10. The one area we do splurge on is #4 - we eat out a lot and often at very high end places, as it's something we have always enjoyed (we also eat in divy places regularly, too). We also have several streaming subscriptions (my wife's thing, not mine and not worth arguing over).

Reactions: Knight Shift
You should airbnb it with a 3 night minimum at a steep price. I just stayed at an airbnb in sedona, prices were really good for hosts
That is a really hot issue in Sedona, and particularly in my neighborhood. We will not rent first because we don't need the money, and a close second is we don't want to deal with any issues with bad tenants and neighbors complaining about us renting. We let friends and family stay there for free, and it gets enough use.

Didnt have my own bedroom until 5th grade but we had a ton of fun haha. We have a big family and we were raised on experiences being far more valuable than material items. I do very well for myself now at 30 years old. I have a higher net worth than 99.999% of my peers nationwide but not a ton has changed besides I travel more now than when I was growing up.

I share alot of your same 8 listed. Im disciplined in the sense that I believe in only spending what my cashflow from real estate investments allows me to + income from commission checks. I DO NOT touch my principal of my investments. I let that grow and thats how wealth accumulates. Theres really nothing within reason I cant do.
Except for using apostrophe's, apparently. 😉

Sounds like you're doing well for yourself. I agree that experiences are more valuable than material things. I'd go a step further and say that I have found that, for me at least, doing stuff for others is more personally rewarding and satisfying than pretty much anything else in life. I'd say acquiring useful knowledge comes in second.

That is a really hot issue in Sedona, and particularly in my neighborhood. We will not rent first because we don't need the money, and a close second is we don't want to deal with any issues with bad tenants and neighbors complaining about us renting. We let friends and family stay there for free, and it gets enough use.
For free, eh. Hm...

Say, how do you and the wife feel about hookers and blow parties at your place?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Except for using apostrophe's, apparently. 😉

Sounds like you're doing well for yourself. I agree that experiences are more valuable than material things. I'd go a step further and say that I have found that, for me at least, doing stuff for others is more personally rewarding and satisfying than pretty much anything else in life. I'd say acquiring useful knowledge comes in second.
Apostrophes on some phones are such a huge PITA to insert. And then with autocorrect, it becomes unmanageable.

Double wide?
:)

Apostrophes on some phones are such a huge PITA to insert. And then with autocorrect, it becomes unmanageable.
True. Autocorrect across all my mobile devices is getting really irritating as of late. Instead of being helpful, it just gets in the way and does annoying stuff like replacing perfectly spelled words with other words with similar spelling.

The a/c on this site does even weirder stuff where it sometimes replaces a perfectly spelled word with a non-word and gets stubborn about allowing me to fix it (it requires me to backspace out the entire "word" and the prior space and then retype or it just keeps changing whatever I type back to it's non-word.

That's beautiful man.

Along with your practical frugality, you are literally living the life I aspire to reach some day.

morris plains doesn't have its own HS. kids get sent to morristown HS or choose private school.

I think Morristown is a decent high school.

I was thinking more of areas with cruddy schools like Middletown, which get pricey despite being average at best. I've heard of really less than average people who got ruined financially there and not just by an ugly divorce.

That's beautiful man.

Along with your practical frugality, you are literally living the life I aspire to reach some day.
We all project well on the internet. My wife and I count our blessings every day. A lot of hard work and a lot of luck. Seriously, however, as I age, I have made it a point to continually work on trying to improve something around me and about myself. The latter part still needs a lot of work.

Funny thing about Facebook is that it seems a large majority of poster lives such perfect and wonderful lives where everything is great and nothing goes wrong. That's true for a portion of them.
I don't think it's true for 99.9% of them. Or more. Nobody's life is perfect.

OTOH, I don't really have a problem who post mostly/solely about the good stuff in their life and keep their personal issues and negative experiences to themselves. In a lot of cases, I suspect they're doing that not so much to intentionally project an unrealistically positive view of themselves as they don't want to air out dirty laundry or be whining about stuff so publicly. And I respect that.

We all project well on the internet. My wife and I count our blessings every day. A lot of hard work and a lot of luck. Seriously, however, as I age, I have made it a point to continually work on trying to improve something around me and about myself. The latter part still needs a lot of work.

Can you get to work on improving the RU football team please?!?!

Great post. Agree with all of it except the second home. We've had 5-6 of them and always thought this was the one we want. And then after a couple of years, we got bored with them. So now we just rent somewhere in the summer to get out of the heat. But the rest is spot on.

First thing I do on any new device - hate autocorrect, especially since I rarely make misteaks.
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

• Haha
Reactions: RU848789
This tweet and linked article made me think of this thread. Hanging around affluent people gets boring fast. Especially listening to them complain about their first world problems.

I actually enjoy hanging around almost any kind of people. I have pretty close friends all up and down the economic spectrum, across all races and religions, across all political ideological groupings, across all ages or nationalities. I do find that I have to partition some - not all of my friends would get along with some of my other friends.

If people have a sense of humor, don't take themselves too seriously, and they don't go out of their way to hurt other people, then I can be friends with them.

Reactions: Joey Bags
I actually enjoy hanging around almost any kind of people. I have pretty close friends all up and down the economic spectrum, across all races and religions, across all political ideological groupings, across all ages or nationalities. I do find that I have to partition some - not all of my friends would get along with some of my other friends.

If people have a sense of humor, don't take themselves too seriously, and they don't go out of their way to hurt other people, then I can be friends with them.
The first comment in the article linked in the tweet may be better than the article itself. The article itself is an interesting discussion on upward mobility and what it takes. IMO, there is no substitute for hard work and determination. Having rich friends never helped me, but then again, I'm like Owen in Throw Mama from the Train:

owen-doesnt-have-a-friend-throw-mama-from-the-train.gif

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
This tweet and linked article made me think of this thread. Hanging around affluent people gets boring fast. Especially listening to them complain about their first world problems.

Too many rich people definitely makes a place boring and monotonous--but then so does too many poor people. The biggest loss to American life in recent decades is how geographically segregated people have become based on socio-economic status.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Born and bred in NJ
Fully plan on leaving upon retirement, hopefully in 8-10 years
Florida as the main residence, either NC/SC or New England as the summer place (if $$ right)

Here's the thing I don't get about people leaving NJ (and I get why they do, I'd leave tomorrow if my wife wasn't a teacher and she could transfer her pension/health benefits elsewhere)

Why do people shit on it after they leave? They raise families in NJ. Made life long friends there. Had a great life. Beaches, mountains, etc. - then they retire or move elsewhere, and they hose the shit out of it.

When we move, I'll look back fondly at NJ. It made me who I am today. Provided a good life growing up and present day. Sure, it's changed a lot since I was a kid. And is changing more everyday (and mostly not good IMO).

But it's a unique place, and no matter where I live in the future, will always be "home" to me
People shit on it when they leave because many never liked it when they were here. Good example is how Rutgers is viewed by many in the state, not a top tier University but rather a place to go if you don’t get into your first choice. Look at how many alumni we have and then look at our endowment.

Many are here because it’s where we were born but many would rather be somewhere else. Winters suck and the taxes are stupid. I don’t really care about being close to NYC or Philadelphia, if I did I would live there. The politics in NJ is beyond corrupt and has been for many decades.

Yes. The resentment lingers in many areas. Even in western NC where most were indifferent or Union loyalists during the war. Now it's common to see the modern Confederate battle flag flying alongside a Trump sign, often in a mobile home setting with abundant yard art featuring rusted autos, etc.
Does that trouble you?

ADVERTISEMENT