ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where are affluent people moving?

My neighbor (former 2nd in command) retired at 52 with a $140k per year pension. Now has a nice 2nd career. I should have been a cop in a nice sleepy town like mine.
Good for your neighbor,
This IS the benefit of putting your life on the line.
I have no problem with it.
My best friend did 25 years on a police force up in the town of Poughkeepsie NY.
made it to Srgt in his final 5 years. With overtime, early 2000’s- with overtime- retired with a 90k pension. During his 25 years in a relatively sleepy town- was on Swat for 15 years- shot once, killed two people, cracked his spine and numerous broken bones and major injuries.

he went on to be a professor and then Chief of Police or the last 10 years in upstate NY.
Deserved 100% of his pension.

Reactions: TRU2RU and MADHAT1
Good for your neighbor,
This IS the benefit of putting your life on the line.
I have no problem with it.
My best friend did 25 years on a police force up in the town of Poughkeepsie NY.
made it to Srgt in his final 5 years. With overtime, early 2000’s- with overtime- retired with a 90k pension. During his 25 years in a relatively sleepy town- was on Swat for 15 years- shot once, killed two people, cracked his spine and numerous broken bones and major injuries.

he went on to be a professor and then Chief of Police or the last 10 years in upstate NY.
Deserved 100% of his pension.
Also, shift work, holidays, and dealing with the dregs of society more than you want. And unfortunately it’s the kind of career where you count the days to retirement your whole career, which is a horrible way to go through life. Lots of thought given to wangling retirement benefits.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I know you disagree with my stance on guns. But at least I'm consistent about individual freedoms. And freedom over one's own body is pretty fundamental, even in situations where the tradeoff is kind of horrific in some cases (i.e. late term abortions).

The choice really sucks, IMO. But humans didn't exactly design themselves this way.

Word. I'd like to think I'm consistent, too. I don't advocate for unfettered abortion rights anymore than unrestricted gun rights.

A time limit for abortions to prevent late-terms seems appropriate in all but life threatening developments or very rare, extreme cases.

Forcing a woman, or child in some cases, to birth her rapist's baby is about as sick, immoral and authoritarian act as I can think of. Do not want to be a part of that in any way.

Ok "StrawmaninPinehurst" you win the grammar trophy. Are you able to answer the question I asked ? Does it bother you that many Trump supporters don't live in fancy houses or maybe they don't make as much money as you?

Ok, so you are saying roughly 70% of the population doesn't care about the ruling?

Talk about a strawman.

• Haha
Reactions: rurx1228
Forcing a woman, or child in some cases, to birth her rapist's baby is about as sick, immoral and authoritarian act as I can think of. Do not want to be a part of that in any way.
Preventing a woman from getting an a abortion to save her life is without a doubt the most immoral, indefensible and authoritarian act imaginable. No government has a right to tell people they are not allowed to undergo medical treatments to save their own lives. Our Supreme Court has just said governments do have that right, while unbelievably claiming the decision they overruled was a bad decision. It's the other side of the same coin that had China forcing women to get abortions.

Reactions: fsg2 and MADHAT1
If you assume 180 days of school at 8 hour days = 1440 hrs, plus 200 hrs of various other time spent outside of school hours or active school days, you get to 1640 hours a year. 60k/1640 = $36/hr. Not bad. Not great.

When you factor in vacations, holidays, etc. in an office workers' work year, the 2080 hours that gets thrown around...companies will generally find that their employees are working ~85% of the work year. This ends up being 1768 hours a year, without considering any OT hours. The workload difference is not as big as you make it out to be.

As I mentioned up above, a teacher working an 8 hour day is essentially "working to code" - meaning the minimum required hours they have to contractually put in. That's generally something unions do as a job action to put pressure on a district - it means not putting in any additional time offering extra help, calling parents/guardians, grading papers, staying as advisors for clubs, writing college recommendation letters, etc. It generally sucks for all involved - the teachers have work pile up that they'll have to catch up on when the job action ends, and the students get short changed on teacher availability and having to wait much longer to get assignments graded and returned.

Assuming a 180 day school year at 8 hours isn't realistic. Also, that's 180 instructional days - which doesn't include other contractually required days when students aren't present.

When I worked out my average # of work hours as a teacher vs. my average # of work hours at a 9-5 with 2 weeks vacation and the corporate holiday calendar, teaching ended up with more overall hours. That was me, though, so ymmv - not all teachers put in the same hours. Some worked more (English teachers, to be sure) and some less (Phys Ed teachers, for example).

As I mentioned up above, a teacher working an 8 hour day is essentially "working to code" - meaning the minimum required hours they have to contractually put in. That's generally something unions do as a job action to put pressure on a district - it means not putting in any additional time offering extra help, calling parents/guardians, grading papers, staying as advisors for clubs, writing college recommendation letters, etc. It generally sucks for all involved - the teachers have work pile up that they'll have to catch up on when the job action ends, and the students get short changed on teacher availability and having to wait much longer to get assignments graded and returned.

Assuming a 180 day school year at 8 hours isn't realistic. Also, that's 180 instructional days - which doesn't include other contractually required days when students aren't present.

When I worked out my average # of work hours as a teacher vs. my average # of work hours at a 9-5 with 2 weeks vacation and the corporate holiday calendar, teaching ended up with more overall hours. That was me, though, so ymmv - not all teachers put in the same hours. Some worked more (English teachers, to be sure) and some less (Phys Ed teachers, for example).
I totally agree with you. I'm just doing the math based on this guy's faulty assumptions that teachers work less hours, less days, and get paid too much. It really isn't the case.

Reactions: RUChoppin
TKR drinking game…have a friend click a thread link for you, read the last message and see how many guesses it takes before you can correctly guess what the thread is about.
I always know what a thread is about without even reading the title or any posts. Hookers and blow. Every time.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Most of these people critical of teachers really have no idea what they are talking about. They just make assumptions that fit a narrative they want.
Which is what an awful lot of people do with an awful lot of things these days.

Reactions: tom1944
What about the 50 plus days over 100 degrees? When I lived in Houston for 8 years, I don’t remember one day over 100 degrees , the high being normally mid 90’s and I also worked in San Antonio which was milder than Houston. It getting hotter in Texas and expect it to get worse in the next few years. I think 20-30% of relocations will move out after 2-3 years.
Which 8 years?
that's a link from National Weather Service

Record highs for each day in a month, from August 1930 to July 2022.. August 25 only day where it did not have a record of 100.. and it hit 98. Looks to me like it is possible to hit 100 sometime in the summer months than not... and has been fo a long time. Then add in heat islands... and.. well...

daily_max_temps.png

Reactions: Section124
Which 8 years?
that's a link from National Weather Service

Record highs for each day in a month, from August 1930 to July 2022.. August 25 only day where it did not have a record of 100.. and it hit 98. Looks to me like it is possible to hit 100 sometime in the summer months than not... and has been fo a long time. Then add in heat islands... and.. well...

daily_max_temps.png
1990-1997, You sure have a lot of time on your hand. From the chart, it looks like it’s getting hotter in 2000-2022. I’m just glad I got out in time and I missed that crazy flood in Houston when the flood reached many rooftops.

Last edited:
1990-1997, You sure have a lot of time on your hand.
make time... do not subject to it... and work more efficiently.

1990-1997, You sure have a lot of time on your hand.
Now is that true or did you research it? Because, indeed, those years did not see 100... but that's rare. The 70s were pretty cold everywhere too. But feel's like during your time was definitely over 100.. plenty of 98s and 97s.

Now is that true or did you research it? Because, indeed, those years did not see 100... but that's rare. The 70s were pretty cold everywhere too. But feel's like during your time was definitely over 100.. plenty of 98s and 97s.
It is what it is. The story is Houston and Texas is getting hotter. Most of the 100 degree days are in 2000-2022. It’s the same story as Phoenix, which I lived for 2 years before Houston and Las Vegas. 110 is now normal in Phoenix and Las Vegas. I’m looking at those areas for maybe a second home but it’s just too hot.

8 years is rare. No, 100 degree days before 2000 is rare.

Yup, I came back to NJ in 2001, same year as 9/11 after spending 4 years in DC after Houston.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Maybe it’s time to recalibrate the digital thermometers or return to mercury-based thermometers.

It is what it is. The story is Houston and Texas is getting hotter. Most of the 100 degree days are in 2000-2022. It’s the same story as Phoenix, which I lived for 2 years before Houston and Las Vegas. 110 is now normal in Phoenix and Las Vegas. I’m looking at those areas for maybe a second home but it’s just too hot.

8 years is rare. No, 100 degree days before 2000 is rare.

Yup, I came back to NJ in 2001, same year as 9/11 after spending 4 years in DC after Houston.
Well, to me, it comes off more like religion than a science. The climate alarmists insist people BELIEVE while bending "science" to fit their needs. And the solution they off is always more control, more power, more money and taxes for the climate priesthood.

Every time someone points out something that questions the dogma they are deemed dangerous heretics. And that says a lot about what this is as well.. that should give every regular human being pause and start asking questions instead of merely prayerfully repeating the dogma.

I saw that but didn’t want to get them excited. NJ probably won’t have much of a winter in the future and actually might have perfect weather year round.
I've read that the northeast is expected to get weather like Atlanta currently has, if you'd call that perfect. Certainly warmer but also wet and humid. Meanwhile, Atlanta will have the climate on the surface of Venus

This segment was on this last Sunday on 60 minutes. The drought is killing the Southwest. The water supply will be restricting SW population growth in the near future. The Salt Lake is also drying up.

Its real. People in NJ spending all that money on landscaping and crying about their brown lawns.

Reactions: brgRC90

This segment was on this last Sunday on 60 minutes. The drought is killing the Southwest. The water supply will be restricting SW population growth in the near future. The Salt Lake is also drying up.

Its real. People in NJ spending all that money on landscaping and crying about their brown lawns.
There is a simple solution to the problem

We invade Canada and pipe their water to the southwest

Wtf Is wrong with you?

The drought in the southwest US is critical. Water levels are getting to the point where dams on the Colorado River will have to shut down. However, I'm not sure the effect it will have on population growth. In California, 80% of the water is used by agriculture; numbers are probably similar elsewhere. Eventually agriculture is what is going to have to be curtailed. Also maybe industry, which can use a lot of water--which makes plans to build chip plants in Arizona baffling. Chip manufacturing uses tons of water.

Interesting timing for the story, although there is still a major, serious drought.

https://bouldercityreview.com/news/mother-nature-lends-a-foot-lakes-level-rises-70896/

Poor resource management is the reason, not climate.

I am surprised however, why we haven't done more desalinization and duct work for the SW/W

Reactions: Section124
I've read that the northeast is expected to get weather like Atlanta currently has, if you'd call that perfect. Certainly warmer but also wet and humid. Meanwhile, Atlanta will have the climate on the surface of Venus
To be honest when I was a kid in the 70's everyone said by year 2000 the weather in NJ would be like Florida. It's 2020 and almost double the global population and that is not the case. Have winters been warmer, yes. We are trending warmer now. Will that continue? Probably as long as the population increases. That being said who really knows since the earth has warmed up and cooled throughout history. Plus by 2053 we will be living on Mars and I will no longer be alive anyway. 😀

To be honest when I was a kid in the 70's everyone said by year 2000 the weather in NJ would be like Florida. It's 2020 and almost double the global population and that is not the case. Have winters been warmer, yes. We are trending warmer now. Will that continue? Probably as long as the population increases. That being said who really knows since the earth has warmed up and cooled throughout history. Plus by 2053 we will be living on Mars and I will no longer be alive anyway. 😀

But there was also the 1975 Newsweek article warning of global COOLING. The author now says he was a "little overenthusiastic" and now global warming is the problem. Well, perhaps NJ to Atlanta by mid century might also be a "little overenthusiastic" even if they got the direction right this time.

I'm not sure Florida weather in New Jersey is coming any time soon but Atlanta seems possible when you consider that it can get pretty cold and snowy in Atlanta but winters are definitely shorter and can have longer warm spells. That seems to already be happening in the northeast. Snow and freezing temperatures in winter are not going away any time soon but they are likely to become more rare.

I'm not sure Florida weather in New Jersey is coming any time soon but Atlanta seems possible when you consider that it can get pretty cold and snowy in Atlanta but winters are definitely shorter and can have longer warm spells. That seems to already be happening in the northeast. Snow and freezing temperatures in winter are not going away any time soon but they are likely to become more rare.
I used to go to Atlanta a lot on business. Back in 2013-2014 I think it was colder in Atlanta during the winter than in NJ. They get those Alberta Clippers coming down from Canada when in NJ we tend to be protected by the gulfstream. Interesting thing recently is that is seems Virginia/DC area has received more snow than us the last few years. I am sure that will change at some point. I do like the snow/colder weather and wish winters were better (but not as much as #'s would like). I always thought I would retire down south but think I am headed north due to climate and skiing.

Reactions: fsg2 and brgRC90
I used to go to Atlanta a lot on business. Back in 2013-2014 I think it was colder in Atlanta during the winter than in NJ. They get those Alberta Clippers coming down from Canada when in NJ we tend to be protected by the gulfstream. Interesting thing recently is that is seems Virginia/DC area has received more snow than us the last few years. I am sure that will change at some point. I do like the snow/colder weather and wish winters were better (but not as much as #'s would like). I always thought I would retire down south but think I am headed north due to climate and skiing.
There will be less crowding headed north.

My lawn is brown.

Interesting timing for the story, although there is still a major, serious drought.

https://bouldercityreview.com/news/mother-nature-lends-a-foot-lakes-level-rises-70896/

Interesting timing?

Monsoon season has been above average. Rainfall up for the summer but still way down overall.

Need a big, snowy winter ...and not just for skiing this time around.

2014 NJ got record snowfall and it was very cold.

Reactions: Joey Bags
My lawn is brown straw.

Interesting timing?

Monsoon season has been above average. Rainfall up for the summer but still way down overall.

Need a big, snowy winter ...and not just for skiing this time around.

Interesting timing with respect to the 60 minutes piece.

Reactions: fsg2

Here in the High Country of western NC the climate is similar to New Hampshire, and there are four or so ski resorts within a half hour drive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT