ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who else is still working?

Daughter got laid off from her part time waitressing job while at school. Company actually did a good thing for their full time employees because it allows them to collect unemployment.

We had painting scheduled for this week anyway and a couple of days ago I went to Home Depot to pick up supplies. They are doing the 50 person per store thing and I asked they guy at the counter how it was going. He said that he felt like for the past 2 days 49 of the 50 people in the store were there for painting.
This. I have a painting project going on while I have the time. Guy at the paint counter said it’s been crazy busy.

Real job wise I’ve been home since 3/13, was also very busy last week.

Daughter got laid off from her part time waitressing job while at school. Company actually did a good thing for their full time employees because it allows them to collect unemployment.
I’m not sure how allowing unemployment for laid off full time employees is a good thing. It isn’t a bad thing but it is kind of, you know, the law.

Wait staff make almost nothing without tips which aren't there when closed.
Yes, I know...but a company or restaurant doesn't "allow" - if someone qualifies per your state, then they qualify. What a company can do to help facilitate, is to just agree with the filings and not dispute every single one like they usually do.

It looks like Cuomo is shutting down all non essential construction finally. Sadly a IBEW member from Local 3 in NY lost his life due to Corona.

Stephen Jozef, 57, who had been working on Google’s offices at 111 8th Ave., died from the coronavirus Monday, his daughter said. The electrician was last on the site on March 6, leaving because he grew ill. I believe he was 58 and two months from retirement. His life was essential, the Google building was not. Hopefully Murphy will do the same in NJ soon before its too late.

https://rew-online.com/governor-shuts-down-non-essential-construction/

WFH. My company is considered military defense infrastructure critical. I’m in charge of R&D for a very large program but I don’t need to go in currently. Neither do any of the engineers working on the projects for now. We’ve had to postpone some demonstrations and tests requiring hands on the product but are hopeful we don’t lose our edge if this pushes into the summer.

The production facility is still open and the precautions they are taking are draconian but needed. The company has been very good through this whole thing and really trying to satisfy their mission while keeping the employees safe. People in other parts of the world using the product put their lives on the line and trust in us so we can’t let them down.

Why would construction jobs be essential?

If they are building hospitals, homeless shelters, bridges and stuff like that I could see them being deemed essential. Some other stuff not so. You would be surprised all the stuff they say is essential

Daughter (social worker) had to go back today. Son in law very worried. Can’t say I’m happy either

I'm a little surprised they haven't thought of it. Making hardship withdrawals penalty free is relatively simple to do.
https://www.latimes.com/business/st...gling-americans-tap-retirement-accounts-early

For a limited time, Americans would be able to withdraw money from tax-deferred accounts without penalties under a stimulus package approved by Congress on Friday. Rules on 401(k) loans would also be relaxed, and some retirees would avoid required minimum distribution rules that might have been onerous.

One provision in the bill would let investors of any age take as much as $100,000 from retirement accounts this year without paying an early withdrawal penalty.

They also could avoid taxes on the withdrawal if the money is put back in the account within three years. If it can’t be returned, taxes could be paid over three years.

The legislation requires that the money be a “coronavirus-related distribution,” but the rules are loose.

Reactions: Vlife
Work needs me. Work needs her.

In light of the latest murphy declarations I might not be going in Fridays anymore.

Funny thing is in a 4 story building 8 cars were in the parking lot Friday. Not much risk there.
My company really doesn't need to work from home. The big tenant in our 3 story building, that had every office except ours and the management company for the building, moved out 7 months ago, and the management company hadn't had anyone fill in yet. So we'd have 8-12 cars in the parking under the building each day and the outdoor lots completely empty.
Once landscaping was deemed essential- all bets were off
Hey, my grass can't be allowed to grow past 3.5 inches!!!

My company really doesn't need to work from home. The big tenant in our 3 story building, that had every office except ours and the management company for the building, moved out 7 months ago, and the management company hadn't had anyone fill in yet. So we'd have 8-12 cars in the parking under the building each day and the outdoor lots completely empty.

Hey, my grass can't be allowed to grow past 3.5 inches!!!
How can you measure your grass with all of that snow on the ground. Did you salt your driveway this morning?

26 straight days in a row working. With no end in site.
I have not taken a day off since this started. Yesterday I only worked 8 hours. If felt like the day just flew by. I’ve been doing 12 and 16 hour tours and my family’s vacation to Arizona for 10 days in April is canceled. Our Disney Cruise the last week of July is still on and I hope it works out Disney does cruising right.

I have not taken a day off since this started. Yesterday I only worked 8 hours. If felt like the day just flew by. I’ve been doing 12 and 16 hour tours and my family’s vacation to Arizona for 10 days in April is canceled. Our Disney Cruise the last week of July is still on and I hope it works out Disney does cruising right.
My trip to Belgium is not until September so the world better be back to normal by than.

Well I am still working. My team of doctors have been put in charge of treating any newly diagnosed COVID-19 patients in my hospital. We just got one confirmed case last week, a patient I admitted from the ER. Luckily I was wearing PPE(Personal protective equipment) as a precaution and did not have any symptoms, so did not have to self-quarantine, but have to take and report my temperature every day to occupational health. No COVID test Kits for the Staff !! We know our ICU will soon be full with Covid patients, if they go into respiratory failure, I have to intubate ,which means direct contact with their respiratory secretions (I will be wearing PPE). I am planning on moving out of my house to protect vulnerable people in my home (some Extended Stay Inn-I am looking) for a few months. I use PPE, hand sanitizer,bathe twice a day, spray myself from head to toe with hydrogen peroxide after bathing and use listerine many times a day.
P.S My girlfriend of 6 months just dumped me, but no hard feelings, she has a daughter with an autoimmine disease and I understand,and my wonderful friends do not want to come near me. I have become Typhoid Mary, but I will do everything I can to contain this pandemic.
Thank you for everything you are doing to help. You are in the thoughts and prayers of myself and my family. God bless you.

https://www.latimes.com/business/st...gling-americans-tap-retirement-accounts-early

For a limited time, Americans would be able to withdraw money from tax-deferred accounts without penalties under a stimulus package approved by Congress on Friday. Rules on 401(k) loans would also be relaxed, and some retirees would avoid required minimum distribution rules that might have been onerous.

One provision in the bill would let investors of any age take as much as $100,000 from retirement accounts this year without paying an early withdrawal penalty.

They also could avoid taxes on the withdrawal if the money is put back in the account within three years. If it can’t be returned, taxes could be paid over three years.

The legislation requires that the money be a “coronavirus-related distribution,” but the rules are loose.
we have no idea how we're going to support this, by the way. People will need the money now; we don't have 9 months for software development. We'll get it done somehow, but it's not going to be smooth or easy. The loan piece will be especially difficult, as the traditional rule calculates your max availability as the lesser of half your outstanding vested balance, capped at $50k, or $50k less the highest outstanding loan balance in the last 12 months. That second calculation is built into the base processing logic of most recordkeeping systems. We're hoping people will not want to opt for a huge loan.

I am an anesthesiologist and my hospital just canceled all elective surgeries. Therefore, there aren't many of us needed during the day. Work hours are now shorter which is good, but sticking breathing tubes into COVID 19 patients with high viral loads is a job hazard (to say the least). In the end, this is the profession that I chose (after all those long hours at Alexander Library) and I have to take both the good and the bad that comes with it.

My advice to everyone: #juststayhome and #socialdistancing

I'm not a clinician and we are not an acute care facility but still healthcare so coming in some days, remote work others.

I am an anesthesiologist and my hospital just canceled all elective surgeries. Therefore, there aren't many of us needed during the day. Work hours are now shorter which is good, but sticking breathing tubes into COVID 19 patients with high viral loads is a job hazard (to say the least). In the end, this is the profession that I chose (after all those long hours at Alexander Library) and I have to take both the good and the bad that comes with it.

My advice to everyone: #juststayhome and #socialdistancing
My son works at Robert Wood sterilizing equipment. They have not had elective surgeries for a week or two. A couple of days they had nothing to do because there were no surgeries at all.

My son works at Robert Wood sterilizing equipment. They have not had elective surgeries for a week or two. A couple of days they had nothing to do because there were no surgeries at all.
At my place we have idled research lab workers sterilizing empty hand sanitizer bottles so our pharmacists can refill them with batchs of the stuff they have brewed up in house.

BTW- WTF with Florida unemployment??? Both of my sons have been laid off down there and before the SP +600, Florida only offers a max of $275 per week for 12 weeks.

BTW- WTF with Florida unemployment??? Both of my sons have been laid off down there and before the SP +600, Florida only offers a max of $275 per week for 12 weeks.

No tax base, ergo no benefits.

Florida isn't a great place. They have some good things, but overall it's not paradise.

My DIL works at a Publix Pharmacy down near Orlando. She already has a very weak Immune system and had asked if she could wear gloves and mask at the register. She was told that it was against policy and would panic their customers and her store manager refused to budge on it. With my son laid off now, she continued working under conditions that could literally kill her even though my son told her to just quit regardless. She also felt that she was needed at the store and to do her part.
He shared this with me on Saturday even over phone conversation and I was appalled to say the least. After losing sleep- I woke up on Sunday left messages for the President, Sr VP of HR and their Sr General Counsel about this...Surprisingly, the Sr VP of HR called me back on behalf of the President of Publix and let me know that they would now be installing plexiGlass and that under her medical condition, she has full rights and permission from the Sr Exec office to request accommodation for gloves and mask while at work. If she gets any resistance or retribution, she is to contact them directly and asked to share the cell numbers of the VP/HR and the President of the company to her.
My DIL, being 23, was still hesitant to go to her Store Manager on this so I called the VP back myself, conferenced her(DIL) in and the VP connected with the store manager directly.
Problem solved- Don't F with my family. But as upset as I was with Publix at first, I was SUPER impressed with their immediate response and attention to this.

No tax base, ergo no benefits.

Florida isn't a great place. They have some good things, but overall it's not paradise.
Question...both the company and employee pay into unemployment directly while working or am I mistaken?
And yeah- lack of tax does sound good until you need it.

Publix...

Jeez, that's a name I'd long forgotten.

Back in the day, Publix was The Enemy because my uncle owned the Thriftway in Mt. Dora.

Publix...

Jeez, that's a name I'd long forgotten.

Back in the day, Publix was The Enemy because my uncle owned the Thriftway in Mt. Dora.
Publix frozen food isle is always a pleasure down in Florida...just saying

Question...both the company and employee pay into unemployment directly while working or am I mistaken?
And yeah- lack of tax does sound good until you need it.

Florida has ZERO state withholding. Employers pay unemployment tax (2.7%).

As the State of Florida loves to say, the only taxes taken out of your paycheck are the taxes the Federal government makes them take.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Working and my wife is also working. Both from home. Our two little guys are home with us too. I hired a babysitter/nanny. Every teacher and waitress applied for it. Lots of demand.

Both of our jobs you can do from anywhere so we’ve had no decrease in production. Actually getting more done because no commute time. It’s just much more expensive paying the nanny vs daycare.

My DIL works at a Publix Pharmacy down near Orlando. She already has a very weak Immune system and had asked if she could wear gloves and mask at the register. She was told that it was against policy and would panic their customers and her store manager refused to budge on it. With my son laid off now, she continued working under conditions that could literally kill her even though my son told her to just quit regardless. She also felt that she was needed at the store and to do her part.
He shared this with me on Saturday even over phone conversation and I was appalled to say the least. After losing sleep- I woke up on Sunday left messages for the President, Sr VP of HR and their Sr General Counsel about this...Surprisingly, the Sr VP of HR called me back on behalf of the President of Publix and let me know that they would now be installing plexiGlass and that under her medical condition, she has full rights and permission from the Sr Exec office to request accommodation for gloves and mask while at work. If she gets any resistance or retribution, she is to contact them directly and asked to share the cell numbers of the VP/HR and the President of the company to her.
My DIL, being 23, was still hesitant to go to her Store Manager on this so I called the VP back myself, conferenced her(DIL) in and the VP connected with the store manager directly.
Problem solved- Don't F with my family. But as upset as I was with Publix at first, I was SUPER impressed with their immediate response and attention to this.
I don't know if Publix is Union or not but if not this needs to be known by elected offials, local news media and social media immediately! How f-ing stupid is the leadership at Publix??

I don't know if Publix is Union or not but if not this needs to be known by elected offials, local news media and social media immediately! How f-ing stupid is the leadership at Publix??
That was my first thought, pissed me the living F off. Somehow- I have a feeling that decision to forbid her to wear protective gear even though they knew she was very high risk- was a store manager call. I literally couldnt sleep that night and why I took it upon myself to find the Exec's of the company through my work permissions and found their cell and emails. I htreatened them with all of that and gave them 24 hrs to respond to me before I went to those measures. It is also why I even emailed their Sr GC so their legal dept was also aware that they were about to have their asses handed to them. The fact that they did respond on a Sunday within 2 hrs was both impressive and also I am sure a wakeup call to them.
My DIL had no idea I decided to do this and I think maybe a little embarrassed and afraid to confront her manager with it. But after I conferenced her, her store manager and the VP of HR together on a call, she felt much better that I did this and later that evening she and my son both called me to thank me and broke down a little on that call.
Publix is now going forward with plans for all of their stores with extra measures above and beyond what Government requires. I hope that maybe I had something to do with it. At least nice to think so but my immediate and real concern was for my family.

Reactions: rutgersal
That was my first thought, pissed me the living F off. Somehow- I have a feeling that decision to forbid her to wear protective gear even though they knew she was very high risk- was a store manager call. I literally couldnt sleep that night and why I took it upon myself to find the Exec's of the company through my work permissions and found their cell and emails. I htreatened them with all of that and gave them 24 hrs to respond to me before I went to those measures. It is also why I even emailed their Sr GC so their legal dept was also aware that they were about to have their asses handed to them. The fact that they did respond on a Sunday within 2 hrs was both impressive and also I am sure a wakeup call to them.
My DIL had no idea I decided to do this and I think maybe a little embarrassed and afraid to confront her manager with it. But after I conferenced her, her store manager and the VP of HR together on a call, she felt much better that I did this and later that evening she and my son both called me to thank me and broke down a little on that call.
Publix is now going forward with plans for all of their stores with extra measures above and beyond what Government requires. I hope that maybe I had something to do with it. At least nice to think so but my immediate and real concern was for my family.
Is this Kevin’s wife?

ADVERTISEMENT