ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Why doesn’t RU give preferential treatment to alumni’s children?

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Some have alluded to this but shouldn’t children of alumni get preferential treatment?
I believe that isn’t the case. The mayor of a north Jersey towns son is going to Penn State because they accepted him first. Meanwhile RU is still considering his application. 🙄

Alumni’s children should get a fastrack application.

Is there an early admission issue there? Did he apply early admission to PSU and submit a regular application to RU. And is his father an alum? Of course, in this state, there may be preferential treatment to children of politicians and the RU screw to children of alumni.

Personally, I think it is foolish to go to a given school because that school accepted you first, unless that is your dream school. I sense you maybe alluding to two different issues here: 1) expedited decision, 2) preferential treatment for acceptance of children of alumni. I don’t believe there are expedited decisions except for early acceptance. Rutgers does not give preferential treatment to children of alumni with regard to acceptance (or so I was told, though both my kids went to Rutgers and are 4th generation RU.)

The whole preferential treatment is a good debate. I feel if an alum is engaged and contributes to the school ..I.e money donations and/or buys sports tickets ...then there should be some preferential treatment . Good chance that alum’s kids have spent time on campus and probably really want to be a student at RU . But I can also see the other side of the issue .
Schools give preferential treatment on admissions to other groups : athletes , ethnic backgrounds etc. Alum kids could get it it too

Some have alluded to this but shouldn’t children of alumni get preferential treatment?
I believe that isn’t the case. The mayor of a north Jersey towns son is going to Penn State because they accepted him first. Meanwhile RU is still considering his application. 🙄

Sounds like a lame excuse to pick Penn State and pretend you wanted to go to Rutgers.

I’m sure he could wait and if he got into Penn State he’ll probably get into Rutgers. Unless he’s waiting on a specific school which could be a reason for the wait.

Rutgers is a public university that is supposed to be open to all equally. Alumni preferences would be contrary to that. Students are to be admitted on the basis of merit, not money. I know the University of California takes the same position, much to the frustration of alums who have seen admission standards rise drastically over the years.

because RU pretends to admit on merit and the liberal view of equality is suspended with minorities.

If you are cutting checks to the school I understand it. If the parents haven't set foot on campus in 20 years and still think we're in the A-10....nice try.

Reactions: rutgersal
The whole preferential treatment is a good debate. I feel if an alum is engaged and contributes to the school ..I.e money donations and/or buys sports tickets ...then there should be some preferential treatment . Good chance that alum’s kids have spent time on campus and probably really want to be a student at RU . But I can also see the other side of the issue .
Schools give preferential treatment on admissions to other groups : athletes , ethnic backgrounds etc. Alum kids could get it it too
This is the approach at Rutgers from my experience. It is also the approach from the grad school I graduated from. I give to Rutgers. It appeared to have mattered. I don’t give as much to my grad school. Me going there didn’t matter when my son applied. He didn’t get in. I give even less now and moved it to Rutgers and give even more to RU

Reactions: scripts
Rutgers is a public university that is supposed to be open to all equally. Alumni preferences would be contrary to that. Students are to be admitted on the basis of merit, not money. I know the University of California takes the same position, much to the frustration of alums who have seen admission standards rise drastically over the years.

That's a tough one. The days of some slug who happened to be a legacy getting admitted to top universities began to disappear over 50 years ago and is long gone today. Now you're dealing kids who are qualified with schools who have 2 - 10X the number of qualified applicants to openings. If geographic balance is a factor why should being a legacy count for nothing?

When I applied, it did ask if I had any family who are alumni. Why would they ask if it didn’t. My take is that people are complaining because RU won’t take their “close enough” kids.

Reactions: Jimpeg
If you are cutting checks to the school I understand it. If the parents haven't set foot on campus in 20 years and still think we're in the A-10....nice try.
Wait............we're not? Did we join the Eastern 8 yet?

Reactions: Plum Street

If he applied Early Decision to State Penn, he’s going as that a commitment to the institution on the applicant’s part.

Not a Rutgers problem or fault.

Last edited:
well Ivies take politicians' kids unless in the "wrong" party all the time--it sucks

Antimeritocracy?

Perhaps, but I see a difference between a school’s desire to attract a diverse student body and one that weighs family attendance in admission decisions. This is a far bigger item at private schools. And who should tell a private institution how they should admit students? But the prevalence of legacy, in my view, runs counter to the American ideal that success is determined by one’s hard work and ability.

That's a tough one. The days of some slug who happened to be a legacy getting admitted to top universities began to disappear over 50 years ago and is long gone today. Now you're dealing kids who are qualified with schools who have 2 - 10X the number of qualified applicants to openings. If geographic balance is a factor why should being a legacy count for nothing?

Rutgers alumni tend to have above-average incomes. There's nothing wrong with that; one reason people go to college is to prepare themselves to be successful. But it does mean that a preference for alumns' kids would among to a preference for the prosperous, and that's not what a state university is about. A geographic preference is, by contrast, economically neutral. BTW, slugs still get into Ivy League schools and other private colleges, although less so than fifty years ago. The reason is that private institutions need to raise money from their alums.

Rutgers alumni tend to have above-average incomes. There's nothing wrong with that; one reason people go to college is to prepare themselves to be successful. But it does mean that a preference for alumns' kids would among to a preference for the prosperous, and that's not what a state university is about. A geographic preference is, by contrast, economically neutral. BTW, slugs still get into Ivy League schools and other private colleges, although less so than fifty years ago. The reason is that private institutions need to raise money from their alums.
Above avg income is certainly not reflected in donations.

not complaining (just stating facts), but I am a former RU scholar athlete (football), my Mom got her undergrad and graduate degree at RU, my sister graduated from the RU school of pharmacy, my wife graduated from RU, my oldest son graduated from the RU school of business and my daughter got her undergrad and graduate degree from RU. But......... our third child who was only a B student and had a decent SAT score did not get accepted. I am also a long time season ticket holder and donate to the school. When he got rejected, I stopped donating, except that I give enough to get my blue parking pass.

not complaining (just stating facts), but i am a former RU scholar athlete, my Mom got her undergrad and graduate degree at RU, my sister graduated from the RU school of pharmacy, my wife graduated from RU, my oldest son graduated from the RU school of business and my daughter got her undergrad and graduate degree from RU. But......... our third child who was only a B student and had a decent SAT score did not get accepted. I am also a long time season ticket holder and donate to the school. When he got rejected, I stopped donating, except that I give enough to get my blue parking pass.
Seems like you should cut that 3rd child out of your will instead of RU.

Reactions: Greg2020
not complaining (just stating facts), but I am a former RU scholar athlete (football), my Mom got her undergrad and graduate degree at RU, my sister graduated from the RU school of pharmacy, my wife graduated from RU, my oldest son graduated from the RU school of business and my daughter got her undergrad and graduate degree from RU. But......... our third child who was only a B student and had a decent SAT score did not get accepted. I am also a long time season ticket holder and donate to the school. When he got rejected, I stopped donating, except that I give enough to get my blue parking pass.
I would be pissed

not complaining (just stating facts), but i am a former RU scholar athlete, my Mom got her undergrad and graduate degree at RU, my sister graduated from the RU school of pharmacy, my wife graduated from RU, my oldest son graduated from the RU school of business and my daughter got her undergrad and graduate degree from RU. But......... our third child who was only a B student and had a decent SAT score did not get accepted. I am also a long time season ticket holder and donate to the school. When he got rejected, I stopped donating, except that I give enough to get my blue parking pass.
I went, my brother went and a few other close relatives went.

I recall when my older boy applied a few years ago the application did ask about relatives who were alumni.

When the older one applied this year I believe he was only asked about his parents. But I’m not 100% on that.

They both got into all three schools (Engineering, SAS and SEBS) they applied to but neither went. Wasn’t for them.

I’m on your side on this one.

Last edited:
Seems like you should cut that 3rd child out of your will instead of RU.

I’m guessing this is a joke. Not everyone is a gifted student. Fortunately, RU accepted me, when I was a B student with a poor SAT score in the 80’s and I graduated with an economics degree and have had a very successful career in banking. And FYI, my third kid will be in my will, and RU will not.

I'm class of '91 and I have two daughters the have graduated RU in the last 4 years but it didnt help my son get in who was borderline... He did get into Oregon but that was too far away for mom.. lol

ADVERTISEMENT