ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WiFi Extenders - recommendations?

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
So we had a power blip a couple of weeks ago (the week before Isaias) and it fried our extender for upstairs. I've been out of the loop on that equipment for a while, so curious what people would recommend now.

We also have Orbi (one satelite). While the WiFi range was clearly extended, our devices do drop their connection intermittently.

We had Orbi at our previous home. Router and two extenders- 7000 sq ft 3 levels. Worked great, including most of our 1 acre outside as well

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Google WiFi here as well. Works great. Eero is also very good and a little cheaper than Google. Both are easy to set up. If you don't already have a Google account/Gmail I'd recommend eero

Reactions: Rutgers8086
TP-Link mesh network...cheap, but garbage. Drops all the time. Definitely do not recommend.

I have the Google WiFi mesh system as well. Buy it at Costco you get 4 pucks (including base station puck) instead of the normal 3, at least it was that way when I purchased it.

How do these mesh systems work with the router we're using from Cablevision?

Is it a combined cable modem and router? You can just plug the mesh system into the cable modem using CAT5 and set up a new wifi network. Connect everything to the mesh. I have an all in one from Comcast, and I just disable the broadcasting of the wifi network name of the Comcast one. Password protect it and don't give anyone the password.

Reactions: Section124
I got the Eero mesh system, with 1 base and 2 beacons. Has been great since I got it. For a short-term fix, you can also use the personal hotspot on your phone. I have a 15gb monthly allowance and the signal is stronger than you would think.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Google WiFi here as well. Works great. Eero is also very good and a little cheaper than Google. Both are easy to set up. If you don't already have a Google account/Gmail I'd recommend eero
Have an Eero and it works great. Don’t remember it being cheaper than Google though but prices may have changed since I got it.

So we had a power blip a couple of weeks ago (the week before Isaias) and it fried our extender for upstairs. I've been out of the loop on that equipment for a while, so curious what people would recommend now.
Its a tough answer right now.. timing ain't right for future-proofing.

If price no object get the Orbi set what has Wifi 6 (aka 802.11 AX)... now, it will be awhile before wifi6 devices are abundant.. but it is going to be a game-changer.

I'd advise cheaping out until you go wifi 6 mesh once you are looking at phones and laptops and even TVs that have wifi 6.

Google has had their wifi mesh on sale at many places.. older model was called "google wifi" (I also have the 3-node set and it works well.. but if you play with your router settings.. do anything sophisticated with ports and so on.. it may not be for you... Google manages your network settings with AI... it is pretty neat.. fining the right bands for you to use based on how much traffic t sees from neighbors on other bands) ..

...newer model is called "google nest wifi" (they are naming everything "nest" because their popular "nest" brand thermostats got some name recognition). The "nest" mesh network nodes double as Google Home speakers.

I seem to mainly use that to find out how old actors were in old movies and if they are alive. Just watched a Wagon Train and realized I am older than Ward Bond was when he died in 1960 (57.. and he seemed older.. heart attack).

Is it a combined cable modem and router? You can just plug the mesh system into the cable modem using CAT5 and set up a new wifi network. Connect everything to the mesh. I have an all in one from Comcast, and I just disable the broadcasting of the wifi network name of the Comcast one. Password protect it and don't give anyone the password.
Beware the double-NAT situation when you install a new router system off of a combined modem/router. Best practice is to disable the router part of your Cablevision modem/router. Then set up your new router from scratch.

I had Orbi with 1 satellite and it worked great until one day it didn't. Took me a while to figure out it was the Orbi. Just stopped working but would say you were still connected to it. Will look into the Google system.

I had Orbi with 1 satellite and it worked great until one day it didn't. Took me a while to figure out it was the Orbi. Just stopped working but would say you were still connected to it. Will look into the Google system.
Isn't that always the case with tech products? One day my phone/ tablet/laptop/TV was working fine... until it wasn't...

I work IT, have the Eero as well. Works great, recommended.....Got the system for free from my ISP.

I scrapped my router recently for Orbi - has 2 satellites and is seamless moving between them with no signal disruption.

I went with a Netgear Orbi, RBK(55?) from Costco after doing a good amount of research and asking advice from friends in the know. About $300 and well worth it. Comes with 2 satellites which you can unplug/plug anywhere in your house. Claims of 7500 square feet of coverage. Latest wifi 6 technology. Every station has ethernet ports (8 in total) which was a plus in my consideration for purchase. Other than a few minor glitches during the initial setup days, I have not had a problem.

No trouble with Optimum router. Like me, you must be around for a while if you are still referring to them as Cablevision. Ethernet cable connects the two.

I also use the Orbi (1st gen) and love it.
I've recently added a third satelite to cover an outbuiding on my property.

I see that the new generation also includes a sim card slot you can activate with your cellular carrier (as part of your data plan). Then the Orbi will automatically switch to your cellular data when your primary internet goes down, or if you have great speed/5G you can use your cellular data as your ISP all the time.

Let me clarify a bit. The Cablevision (yes, I refuse to call the optimum) router we have services the basement and first floor fine. We got an extender plugged into the hallway of the second floor primarily so Tyler and Corey have connectivity in their rooms for important stuff like gaming. And much less important, in fact completely trivial functionality such as doing schoolwork. The extender worked fine up until it got fried: it was the type which just plugged into a hallway socket and was configured from there. I think the extender we had was around $45-60.
I went with a Netgear Orbi, RBK(55?) from Costco after doing a good amount of research and asking advice from friends in the know. About $300 and well worth it. Comes with 2 satellites which you can unplug/plug anywhere in your house. Claims of 7500 square feet of coverage. Latest wifi 6 technology. Every station has ethernet ports (8 in total) which was a plus in my consideration for purchase. Other than a few minor glitches during the initial setup days, I have not had a problem.

No trouble with Optimum router. Like me, you must be around for a while if you are still referring to them as Cablevision. Ethernet cable connects the two.
That's pretty much what I envisioned: we just got a new router from Cablevision (what's this optimum you speak of?); when the extender was fried we connected in hopes it would provide satisfactory coverage to the house, but wasn't much of an improvement for the upstairs.

Orbi got the best reviews when I bought it 2 years ago. It works great. I believe it is the only one that is tri-band so it communicates with it's satellites on a dedicated 3rd band so it does not affect signal traffic. Coverage is great everywhere with very little speed drop off from base. I also have an outside satellite so I can sit 100 feet away from my house and still get speeds over 100mps. In house speeds are in the 200mps everywhere. They sell Orbis at Costco as well. Mesh networks are the way to go and not extenders. https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/wi-fi-range-extender-vs-mesh-network-whats-the-difference

I have a Linksys system I bought 4 years ago and it works great. 3 story house with three nodes. I just checked and I currently have 22 devices connected. Locks, cameras, TV's etc. Never had an issue. My speed measured from the wifi is 179 down and 20 up. Plenty for me.

Let me clarify a bit. The Cablevision (yes, I refuse to call the optimum) router we have services the basement and first floor fine. We got an extender plugged into the hallway of the second floor primarily so Tyler and Corey have connectivity in their rooms for important stuff like gaming. And much less important, in fact completely trivial functionality such as doing schoolwork. The extender worked fine up until it got fried: it was the type which just plugged into a hallway socket and was configured from there. I think the extender we had was around $45-60.

That's pretty much what I envisioned: we just got a new router from Cablevision (what's this optimum you speak of?); when the extender was fried we connected in hopes it would provide satisfactory coverage to the house, but wasn't much of an improvement for the upstairs.

With any of these mesh networks, they will improve the range all over the house. As with the Orbi, you can unplug a satellite from any room and move it around the house/outside as you choose, but I have not needed to do that anywhere in the house or on the property. So ditto what Scarlet Haze says above. Another good benefit of the Orbi is ethernet ports on every station, so Tyler and Corey can hardwire their computers as well if that is truly needed.

With any of these mesh networks, they will improve the range all over the house. As with the Orbi, you can unplug a satellite from any room and move it around the house/outside as you choose, but I have not needed to do that anywhere in the house or on the property. So ditto what Scarlet Haze says above. Another good benefit of the Orbi is ethernet ports on every station, so Tyler and Corey can hardwire their computers as well if that is truly needed.
I live in a neighborhood with small lots...when my neighbors first moved in, I was able to let them log into my Orbi guest wifi network from 100ft away until they got their internet set up. Wifi doesn't drop out for close to 150ft from the house.

Reactions: LETSGORU91

Run a Cat 6 cable up to those guys from your router... let them hardwire in for gaming. Get a decent Netgear Nighthawk switch in there with cables to each PC. Go hardwire for PCs... of course phones and tablets and laptops in bed may want good wifi.

checked out a few reviews.. the Eero Pro 3-pack seems like a solid choice.. but no wifi-6.

here's a decent review (no orbi)

And here's the same reviewer comparing eero pro with an orbi..

Last edited:
Reactions: thegock
ADVERTISEMENT