ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wilford Brimley Dead At 85

I did think he was older and I have to admit, I thought he had already passed away. RIP to an excellent supporting actor in everything from The China Syndrome to the Natural. And who could forget the Quaker Oats and “diabeetus” commercials?

He looked 85 in the Firm. I love these updates, did not know Brian Dennehy died until a week ago.

Last edited:
RIP.

He was memorable for:

diabeetus.jpg
brimley-197x300.gif
DVnUN-RVwAAU7JN.jpg

Reactions: RUPete
RIP, Wilford.

I also thought he was at least a decade older than that. It's like he prematurely aged to about 75 and just inched up from there. I loved him in "The Natural" and remember watching his Quaker Oats commercials as a kid.

I did think he was older and I have to admit, I thought he had already passed away. RIP to an excellent supporting actor in everything from The China Syndrome to the Natural. And who could forget the Quaker Oats and “diabeetus” commercials?
When he was getting beat up in The Firm, I was like "Take that oatmeal man"! Seriously he was a great actor. #RIP

RIP, Wilford.

I also thought he was at least a decade older than that. It's like he prematurely aged to about 75 and just inched up from there. I loved him in "The Natural" and remember watching his Quaker Oats commercials as a kid.
I'm guessing it was his solid white mustache. He was in his forties and his mustache was already solid white.
I'm going to dye mine like Tom Sellek or cut it off.

Absence of Malice

That the flick where he's a judge? And he calls Newman into his office and drops the line, something to the effect of, "I believe in legal terms that's what we call horse fvckin', and you know it."

That the flick where he's a judge? And he calls Newman into his office and drops the line, something to the effect of, "I believe in legal terms that's what we call horse fvckin', and you know it."
I believe he was an Assistant US Attorney General , and he ripped into some of the local prosecutors.His character in the movie would have used that line.

Reactions: RUinPinehurst
He was also the grandfather in the 1980’s tv show “Our House” which also starred teenager Shannon Doherty.

Last edited:
A Marine - and a blacksmith, ranch hand and wrangler. There used to be a lot of actors like Brim. Now the US actors are so quiffed-out, producers have to get guys from Australia, UK or Canada when they have a manly roll (Rosie being retired).

At 40+ years old. Nobody. But those two were nearly the same age and it looks like in The Natural they are 20 years apart.
Yeah, but that look got him the manager’s role, so there’s that...

Brimley also had a great scene with Robert Redford in The Electric Horseman.

Reactions: WhiteBus
A lot of good mentions of his work.

I have a hazy memory of a TV show where he was the grandpa.. only the 80s "Our House" on IMDB seems to be right..

I have a memory of some conman kid painting his house number on his curb and then surprising Gramps with a demand for payment and that cantankerous old bastard was having none of it. Strong old man... who was only 52-54.. hah!

ADVERTISEMENT