ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Windows 10, Edge Browser Now Only Opens Up About 90%

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
Was working fine, but noticed there was an update on April 14th so I tried System Restore. It didn't work.

The problem is that the page opens and stops to the right at the icon for Minimize. It doesn't show the Enlarge icon, Settings, More etc.

I've now migrated to Chrome which is 100% open (fills the page and shows the address bar).

Any suggestions re.: Edge (I'm use to it).

Also, I imported my favorites successfully to Chrome ...but how do you make a site your home page (so it opens when you open your browser) in Chrome?
I do have a 2nd tab showing the site I want but think it's archaic to have to click or select it each time as opposed to automatically opening when I open Chrome.

Thanks!

MO

Maybe one of your add-ons wont work with the update
Try Edge in safe mode and/or disable add-ons

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersMO
Maybe one of your add-ons wont work with the update
Try Edge in safe mode and/or disabled add-ons

Thanks for your advice. Opening in safe mode didn’t do the trick …but Conrtol Panel> settings > programs > edge >modify : repaired the browser . I hated Google Chrome (e.g. ads appearing on chess website that force u to let play out …not there with edge).

😎

Mo

Reactions: ashokan
It sounds, based on your comments about the two browsers, that you may have been infected with some malware.

You should run a full virus scan of your entire computer (e.g. scan all drives, including external USB drives, checking all file types and enabling all offered scan options). Depending on a number of factors, such a scan could easily take quite a long time - even as much as 24 hours or more.

Incidentally, I use Chrome and never see any ads at all. You can install the Disconnect plugin, and uBlock Origin and uBlock Origin Extra (in Chrome) to prevent a lot of crap (like ads and, to some degree, malware infection).

You can keep using Edge, as it’s far superior to the older Internet Explorer. But I recommend sticking with Chrome with the aforementioned plugins, or else use Firefox with those same plugins.

For the truly paranoid, add the noscript plugin in Firefox, along with the other plugins I mentioned, and selectively whitelist each javascript source at each website - which is educational if you want to see all the third-party crap that many popular sites want to run on your machine when you visit. The trick being to whitelist only enough to get the primary site running, leaving all the tracking and adware and metrics crap disabled.

That last thing can be a PITA in the beginning until you’ve figured out which sites and third party JS to enable and which to leave disabled.

I work in IT, this is correct. Microsoft also tries to force Edge to open PDF's which many fillable pdf's won't work in Edge.
That's easy to change. Edge is the best out the megacorp browsers. IE mode is also useful for me.

You should also consider Brave or Duck Duck Go as alternatives. They are more privacy focused.
There is also Vivaldi.
I use 4 browsers with Edge on the side
I think its good to use different browsers for different things
My Facebook and Instagram browser I keep separate from other things like bank, weather, Youtube, news etc.
I used to have Opera on deck as well but the CCP bought it and now its a no no.

Rob Braxman is a great resource for PC/phone security

That's easy to change. Edge is the best out the megacorp browsers. IE mode is also useful for me.
I had to run GPO's to stop that from happening. Not hard but still shouldn't have to do that. Can't do fillable pdf's in Edge

We let them use Chrome, Edge or Firefox. Personally I try to steer them to firefox. There are other options out there but it would confuse people lol
I only asked because Chrome and Edge are both based on the Chromium browser. People got really turned off by the legacy Edge and now swear by Chrome, though new Edge and Chrome have a lot in common.

I only asked because Chrome and Edge are both based on the Chromium browser. People got really turned off by the legacy Edge and now swear by Chrome, though new Edge and Chrome have a lot in common.
ya correct both Chromium based...., and actually chrome started to take over as pdf reader too now that you mention it. On their own they are fine, I just don't like how Microsoft forces it as default, even after the user changes it manually.

The older version of Edge was bad, and it left a sour taste in people's mouths, mine included.

• Love
Reactions: rurichdog
ya correct both Chromium based...., and actually chrome started to take over as pdf reader too now that you mention it. On their own they are fine, I just don't like how Microsoft forces it as default, even after the user changes it manually.

The older version of Edge was bad, and it left a sour taste in people's mouths, mine included.
The hijacking of the user's pdf viewer is such a petty power grab by the browser devs. Yes, people download a lot of pdfs from web resources. But there are free pdf viewers out there that do a very good job at what they do. The pdf readers aren't going to start quietly rolling out web browsing capabilities and making themselves the default browser...that would put them in the 'malware' category. But the browsers think they are operating system front ends now and we just need to be cool with that...not this technician.

• Love
Reactions: RUinOhio
I had to run GPO's to stop that from happening. Not hard but still shouldn't have to do that. Can't do fillable pdf's in Edge

Yes you can do fillable pdfs in Edge, I do it all the time. And you can turn that option off in the settings, super easy.

I stopped using Chrome when they removed the option to mute individual tabs. Edge still has that feature.

Reactions: rurichdog
Yes you can do fillable pdfs in Edge, I do it all the time. And you can turn that option off in the settings, super easy.
correct, but many that we use don't work in Edge (correctly), not saying its impossible. I'd rather not have to deal with it.

Reactions: nick614
ADVERTISEMENT