ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Winter Returns...Very Cold, then Snow to Rain on 12/17, then cold again; mild for XMas?

Thanks. Yea, freezing rain and ice bother me more than snow. Lake Mohawk is a bit higher in elevation and a bit north, obviously, so between that, the hills, and the fact that back roads are less traveled leaves this a question mark. I would just assume reschedule but not sure about that. Thanks again.

It's already up to about 30-31F at Lake Mohawk and the precip is over until at least midnight, when it should be above 32F and any precip would be plain rain. That should leave a fair amount of time for all plowed roads to finish melting any glaze during daylight hours (when roads will absorb UV rays and warm up). So your drive should be fine, both ways, except perhaps for any local town roads that weren't plowed and traveled on and could be slushy. Good luck if you decide to go.

Got about 3.5" up by us - just got finished shoveling the drive way. Nice crusty layer on top. The thermometer in the back (our back has a northern exposure into the state preserve), which is in the shade, still registers under 30.

No problems over here, black top by 10am on the state and county roads.

I completely agree that all major highways and state roads in the general Rutgers area (within 10-15 miles, as we both are; not true at all north of 78 at the time and not everyone knows where you live) were in good shape by 10 am, as temps were up around freezing and those roads would've been plowed, salted and had enough traffic on them to not be an issue. If you had made the post above, I would've had no issue with it.

But that's not what you said. You said "I was driving around at 10am, roads have been fine for hours." Secondary/local roads were not fine at 10 am in many locations and neighborhood roads in most locations would've been slushy/icy and in some spots, treacherous. I live 1/4 mile from 27 (State road) and 501 (County road) and those roads were decent at 10 am, but the local road that feeds them (ours) was a slushy mess and had a pretty bad accident on it around 10:30 am.

And there may be people out there who might actually take your word as being true, who would then go out in some bad conditions - and yeah, that bugged me. I get that people should be able to figure things like that out on their own and not rely on internet boards for guidiance, but some are in hurry or have other reasons, so why mislead them?

Got about 3.5" up by us - just got finished shoveling the drive way. Nice crusty layer on top. The thermometer in the back (our back has a northern exposure into the state preserve), which is in the shade, still registers under 30.

Nice - are you still in the Wayne area? Are you higher up in elevation (might explain the low temp)? How are the back roads (thinking about phs73) up there? Great day for a fire. :>)

It's already up to about 30-31F at Lake Mohawk and the precip is over until at least midnight, when it should be above 32F and any precip would be plain rain. That should leave a fair amount of time for all plowed roads to finish melting any glaze during daylight hours (when roads will absorb UV rays and warm up). So your drive should be fine, both ways, except perhaps for any local town roads that weren't plowed and traveled on and could be slushy. Good luck if you decide to go.
We're going, it's too close to Christmas to get in a fight with Santa. My thermometer here in Piscataway is 32.5 degrees...hopefully north of 33 in lake Mohawk.

Nice - are you still in the Wayne area? Are you higher up in elevation (might explain the low temp)? How are the back roads (thinking about phs73) up there? Great day for a fire. :>)
Yup, up in Wayne, in the hills where the state preserve is, so we're always a few degrees colder. Just checked, we're right around 32, so we're starting to get some melting. Back roads in our area have been in pretty good shape all day, but they've done a good job of putting down brine and salt so far.

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT