ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Winter Storm Sat Night/Sunday (2/17-18)?

wow the HRRR really cutting back from this mornings runs

AF5B8513-6E92-4482-A686-0CB2A76D503E.png.6aca2113ec08b8f6d7ab25eb277318ee.png

Did ok with my NWS prediction last night, as the NWS in Philly converted the watches to advisories for 3-5" of snow for the I-95 counties and NW of there (no warnings for Mt. Holly counties), i.e., for Chester/Montco/Bucks, Mercer, Middlesex, the Lehigh Valley, Poconos, Morris, Sussex, and Warren. And the NWS in NYC converted the watches to warnings for 4-7" of snow for Union, Essex, Hudson, Bergen, Passaic, Rockland, Westchester, Bronx, Manhattan, northern Queens, and northern Nassau/Suffolk. Interestingly, the NWS in NYC left watches up for SI, southern NYC and southern Nassau/Suffolk, as they are predicting 4-7" of snow there, but have less confidence in reaching those numbers than in the warning areas, due to mix/rain.

And Philly/Delaware and adjacent SNJ (Salem, Gloucester, Camden and NW Burlington and western Monmouth) all have advisories for roughly 2-3" of snow - these counties are most at risk of getting little to no snow due to mixing/rain and similarly the rain could also hold down accumulations even up to I-95, as some media outlets are predicting (but not the NWS). Still a very close call with marginal temps.

Also, timing moved up by 1-2 hours with precip starting around 5-6 pm, as rain for most, but quickly changing to snow for the areas under advisories/warnings, with evaporational cooling bringing temps from the mid-30s at the start to around 32F by early/mid evening. The bulk of the precip should be over by 1-2 am. Roads will have a tough time accumulating during the first few hours, where it's snowing due to temps in the 34-35F range (near/along 95), but once snowfall rates go up to 3/4" per hour or so (and temps drop to near 32F), snow will accumulate on roads. Maps are up.

27866955_10213261963617665_1254441864276723756_n.jpg

27972234_10213261964537688_5694803701993006495_n.jpg

Been pretty busy today, so first time I had a little time to review today's 12Z model runs. Pretty much every model is showing at least 3" from Philly to maybe Hazlet to southern LI and some of those models are showing 4-6" along that line. The conensus is also for 4-6" just inland of 95 to 30-40 miles NW of 95. Less consensus for SE of 95 where some models have a sharp cutoff to no snow and others have more gradual cutoffs, with a couple of inches down to the Monmouth/Ocean coast. Having said all that, bust potential is still high, as temps are marginal for snow and some tiny changes turn 4-5" of snow to 2-3" of snow and slop/rain.

Except the GFS, which is still only showing an inch or two for 95 (and 2-4" 15-30 miles NW of 95) and nothing towards the coast. The most bullish models are the Euro and NAM, with both showing 4-8" for the 95 corridor, with the largest amounts just NW of 95. Most of the high resolution mesoscale models are showing pretty good snows, except for the last run of the HRRR, which is only showing 2-3" for most - could just be a hiccup. It's just about time to stop looking at models, anyway, and looking at the radar and reports to our west. Radar is lit up pretty good and the Storm Prediction Center just issued a heavy snow alert for central PA - if that kind of expected performance contines eastward, we'll do well. Should see updated maps and discussions shortly from the NWS.

Last edited:
Big Joe is the only reason I listen to that station. Have known him going back to his DJ days at Jenkinsons.
Is he as nice in person as he comes across on air?

Seems like a real good dude.

Is he as nice in person as he comes across on air?

Seems like a real good dude.
Oh god yes. He is exactly that way in person.
Very approachable at the many live events the show does. Or the bars he enjoys at the Jersey shore. He is a natural on radio, solid guy!
I see him a few times a year. Always go to Monmouth Park's Classic Car Show and he is always there.

Been pretty busy today, so first time I had a little time to review today's 12Z model runs. Pretty much every model is showing at least 3" from Philly to maybe Hazlet to southern LI and some of those models are showing 4-6" along that line. The conensus is also for 4-6" just inland of 95 to 30-40 miles NW of 95. Less consensus for SE of 95 where some models have a sharp cutoff to no snow and others have more gradual cutoffs, with a couple of inches down to the Monmouth/Ocean coast. Having said all that, bust potential is still high, as temps are marginal for snow and some tiny changes turn 4-5" of snow to 2-3" of snow and slop/rain.

Except the GFS, which is still only showing an inch or two for 95 (and 2-4" 15-30 miles NW of 95) and nothing towards the coast. The most bullish models are the Euro and NAM, with both showing 4-8" for the 95 corridor, with the largest amounts just NW of 95. Most of the high resolution mesoscale models are showing pretty good snows, except for the last run of the HRRR, which is only showing 2-3" for most - could just be a hiccup. It's just about time to stop looking at models, anyway, and looking at the radar and reports to our west. Radar is lit up pretty good and the Storm Prediction Center just issued a heavy snow alert for central PA - if that kind of expected performance contines eastward, we'll do well. Should see updated maps and discussions shortly from the NWS.

Well, the NWS-Philly retained all the advisories and warnings from earlier today and didn't change their snowfall map appreciably, with a general 3-5" for the advisory counties along 95 north of Philly and 2-3" amounts for advisory counties SE of 95. The 3" line is still roughly from Philly to Sandy Hook. Similarly, the NWS in NYC retained their advisories for SI/southern NYC/LI and warnings for NE NJ, northern NYC/LI, the lower Hudson Valley and CT and didn't change their snowfall maps appreciably either.

Full speed ahead with the forecasts as is. We'll see if they were being too bullish or not, soon. I think they're going to be pretty close. Could definitely be some sleet in the "battle zone" areas between snow and rain - sleet isn't as pretty as snow, but it's just as impactful. Freezing rain is supposed to be unlikely. Sticking with my 4.5" forecast for my house. Updated maps below. Time to watch the radar, as snow is as close as Allentown to Chester PA and a mix in far SNJ/DE - storm's been performing on target so far, but a big key will be where the best bands set up. Snowfall maps and the map of advisories (blue) and warnings (pink) below.

28059291_10213265068135276_2253586193258100948_n.jpg

27867790_10213265081255604_2472313983552822972_n.jpg

27972831_10213265092415883_6183432387689000499_n.jpg

Last edited:
So the temperature has been plummeting here: it's now down to 28°.
Big Joe is the only reason I listen to that station. Have known him going back to his DJ days at Jenkinsons.
Yep, I love listening to him on 101.5 when they play music: living large!

Also, it doesn't matter when the storm starts, with regard to accumulations for the most part - by far the most important thing is snowfall rate and if we get the 3/4" per hour rates being forecasted, snow will accumulate everywhere, even if it's 33-35F at the surface. Simple math problem really.
This part I don't understand. If the system gets here before it cold enough for snow that should impact totals, no?

Anyway it' just starting to drizzle here. Winds are gusty too. It's 41 degrees.

This part I don't understand. If the system gets here before it cold enough for snow that should impact totals, no?

Anyway it' just starting to drizzle here. Winds are gusty too. It's 41 degrees.

Beginning of the storm was always supposed to be in the mid/upper 30s and probably rain at least from 95 and SE (36F and cloudy here). The reason why start time doesn't matter much is that the cooling that's expected is actually generated by the storm itself, so that cooling will occur when the storm arrives, whether it's 5 pm or 7 pm. The cooling is a result of evaporational cooling of the column from falling snowflakes that melt and evaporate (saturating and cooling the column).

That cooling will likely get most locations to the mid-30s whether they started at 38 or 40F - and then additional cooling will occur as the storm cranks up and heavier snow falls - as it falls it can dynamically cool the column by bringing some colder air down from aloft, although surface temps may never get below 32F, but that's immaterial as long as snowfall rates are high enough. Sure, for locations pretty far south, initial temps in the mid-40s are going to be hard to overcome, which is why those locations are likely to get all rain.

The evaporational cooling only occurs until the column is saturated and then it stops. The dynamic cooling occurs off and on during the storm as a function of intensity. The third factor in cooling should be when the storm strenghens as it passes to our east, it should produce NE winds, bringing in slightly cooler air. None of these is a guarantee for snow everywhere, though. Philly is right at the battlground as are places along the Delaware to Bordentown and then probably along the SE border of Mercer and Middlesex Counties to about Keyport (that's a bit of a guess, but the battlground between snow and rain will likely not be too far from that line).

My guess is a bigger question may be how much precip we get. If we only get 0.4" vs. 0.7" of liquid equivalent that'll be the difference betwen 3" and 5-6", even if it's all/mostly snow. This is the fun part, where nobody, really, knows exactly what's going to happen - I'll enjoy it no matter what though, as I know we're getting some snow, at least, in the middle of crazy warm days, which is kind of a miracle itself.

Oh god yes. He is exactly that way in person.
Very approachable at the many live events the show does. Or the bars he enjoys at the Jersey shore. He is a natural on radio, solid guy!
I see him a few times a year. Always go to Monmouth Park's Classic Car Show and he is always there.

I ran into him a couple times at the Culinary Classic Benefit for the Food Bank. Seemed like a friendly guy.

Snowing in Hillsborough. Not sticking to the roads or sidewalks. Heavy snow bands with big flakes reported in a swath in Bridgewater per Channel 4.

Snow started around 5 here, saw as I was working out at the gym. Just got in, it's already sticking to the roads, which is surprising as they've been treated. Coming down fairly heavy and steady right now.

I assume the cc radar is showing some heavy sleet along/south of 195 - any verification? @RU4Real?

Snow has picked up here nicely and temp is at 35F and starting to whiten the ground/car tops - will need more intensity to overcome the warmer paved surfaces...

Snow just started here, not rain - good sign at least...
Same (5:30pm) here on SI.

Haven’t seen anything special in my inbox with regard to this so guess the City thinks it won’t be a big deal.

I assume the cc radar is showing some heavy sleet along/south of 195 - any verification? @RU4Real?

Snow has picked up here nicely and temp is at 35F and starting to whiten the ground/car tops - will need more intensity to overcome the warmer paved surfaces...

P-type on radar is displaying as all snow except for the Toms River / Brick areas of Ocean County. That said, it also appears to be largely virga at this time.

all snow here in southern Middlesex. Monroe, near Englishtown, coming down heavy, but not sticking yet.

Mt Holly disco....lets see how far that rain/snow line drifts north later tonight cutting into totals in philly to central jersey

Mid level short wave energy moving up the Ohio River Valley
this afternoon will enhance precipitation rates this evening. A
relatively brief period of moderate to heavy snow is expected
with amounts in much of eastern Pennsylvania, far northeastern
Maryland, northern Delaware and central and northern New Jersey
ranging from 2 to 5 inches. The far upper Delmarva, extreme
southeastern Pennsylvania and the southern part of central New
Jersey should favor the low end of those values.

The guidance has trended a bit warmer with the system than in
previous runs. As we get into the late evening hours, the
rain/snow line may advance well into the Philadelphia
metropolitan area and central New Jersey. We will indicate a
change to rain before the precipitation ends. The rain will cut
into snowfall amounts in parts of those areas.

Due to the expected location of the rain/snow line, our lowest
area of confidence in our snowfall forecast extends from the
upper Delmarva and extreme southeastern Pennsylvania into parts
of southern and central New Jersey.

A mid level short wave trough located over Iowa and vicinity
this afternoon will progress to the east and it should pass
overhead late tonight. The feature will kick the last of the
precipitation out to sea. It appears as though most of the rain
and snow in our region will end by 2 or 3 o`clock in the
morning.

Reactions: MulletCork
all snow here in southern Middlesex. Monroe, near Englishtown, coming down heavy, but not sticking yet.

I'm seeing snow now, as well. I ducked out back for a few minutes and it's actually a mix of snow and light rain. The only thing it's sticking to is the pool cover.

Just ripping here and it dropped from 35 to 33F in the last 15 minutes of mod/heavy snow. About 3/8" on the ground in the last 15-20 minutes, easily enough for snow to start accumulating on paved surfaces on our street, as expected.

Roads completely covered now in Metuchen - heavy snow continues with about 1/4 mile visibility. Might have to tape the hoops game to watch this. Yes, I did say that on a sports board, lol. Don't get snow this heavy that often and we can lose on the road anytime.

I ran into him a couple times at the Culinary Classic Benefit for the Food Bank. Seemed like a friendly guy.
We used to bust his chops about working on a cookbook. With good reason. He had the last laugh when it sold out in less than 8 months. Proceeds went to the Food Bank.

Just ripping here and it dropped from 35 to 33F in the last 15 minutes of mod/heavy snow. About 3/8" on the ground in the last 15-20 minutes, easily enough for snow to start accumulating on paved surfaces on our street, as expected.

Is it the biggest flakes you have seen in your life?

Light rain here.
Good.
Roads completely covered now in Metuchen - heavy snow continues with about 1/4 mile visibility. Might have to tape the hoops game to watch this. Yes, I did say that on a sports board, lol. Don't get snow this heavy that often and we can lose on the road anytime.
giphy.gif

(not that there is anything wrong with that - lol)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT