ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Winter Storm Sat Night/Sunday (2/17-18)?

Me likey...

27973515_10213266284725690_8005109992425026794_n.jpg

Edit: here's the text from that SPC report..

Mesoscale Discussion 0069
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0532 PM CST Sat Feb 17 2018

Areas affected...Southeastern Pennsylvania...Northern New
Jersey...Southern New York...and Western Connecticut

Concerning...Heavy snow

Valid 172332Z - 180330Z

SUMMARY...Snowfall rates around or in excess of 1 inch per hour are
possible for the next few hours this evening from southeastern
Pennsylvania into the New York City vicinity.

DISCUSSION...An approaching mid/upper-level shortwave trough and
low-level warm advection are contributing to ascent across the
region. As precipitation spreads east-northeastward across the
area, melting/evaporating hydrometeors will eventually saturate and
cool the low-level profiles, resulting in snow reaching the ground.
The latest high-resolution numerical guidance generally supports
snowfall rates around or exceeding 1 inch per hour for the next few
hours, as the system moves rapidly to the east-northeast.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0069.html

Last edited:
Just ripping here and it dropped from 35 to 33F in the last 15 minutes of mod/heavy snow. About 3/8" on the ground in the last 15-20 minutes, easily enough for snow to start accumulating on paved surfaces on our street, as expected.
Holy freakin' crap, from 3/8" at about 6:25 pm to 1.5" of snow at 7:05 pm - that's over a 1.5" per hour rate. Roads covered with about 3/4" of snow and accumulating easily now that melting is near nil, as temps are 33F. Will be surprised if I don't exceed my 4.5" prediction.

Holy freakin' crap, from 3/8" at about 6:25 pm to 1.5" of snow at 7:05 pm - that's over a 1.5" per hour rate. Roads covered with about 3/4" of snow and accumulating easily now that melting is near nil, as temps are 33F. Will be surprised if I don't exceed my 4.5" prediction.

Where are you? High Point?

Started snowing in New Providence @I-78 just before 6:00 there's now well over 2" of wet snow out less than 90 minutes later.

Not much more than a coating on the pavement here in Scotch Plains.

Best thing about this crap is it will be gone as soon as it came.

I thought you don't make predictions? hhhmmmm

Up to 2" as of 7:30 pm, which is slightly over 1" per hour rates still and snowing heaviliy - heaviest snow of the winter for me. At this point, given the SPC notice and the radar, I think I'm going to bust low on my 4.5" forecast for my house. Reports of 5-7" in eastern PA, like Lancaster, Reading and towards the Lehigh Valley.

Up to 2" as of 7:30 pm, which is slightly over 1" per hour rates still and snowing heaviliy - heaviest snow of the winter for me. At this point, given the SPC notice and the radar, I think I'm going to bust low on my 4.5" forecast for my house. Reports of 5-7" in eastern PA, like Lancaster, Reading and towards the Lehigh Valley.

its going to wind down around 11 so not sure why you think you will get more than 5 inches

For anyone in NE NJ/NYC/Hudson Valley/CT:

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service New York NY
736 PM EST SAT FEB 17 2018

CTZ005-006-009-010-NJZ002-004-103>106-NYZ067-069>073-180230-
Northern Fairfield-Southern Fairfield-Northern New Haven-Southern New
Haven-Eastern Essex-Western Bergen-Western Passaic-Western
Essex-Eastern Bergen-Eastern Passaic-Rockland-Orange-Bronx-Southern
Westchester-New York (Manhattan)-Northern Westchester-
736 PM EST SAT FEB 17 2018

...HEAVY SNOW WILL AFFECT FAIRFIELD...SOUTHWESTERN NEW
HAVEN...PASSAIC...BERGEN...ESSEX...WESTCHESTER...SOUTHERN ORANGE...
BRONX...ROCKLAND...and NORTHERN NEW YORK COUNTIES...

A band of heavy snow will develop and continue over the region
through 930 pm.

Visibilities will drop to a quarter of a mile or less in this area,
with snowfall rates of 1 to possibly 2 inches per hour.

Roads are expected to become quickly snow covered, with travel
becoming difficult due to the poor visibilities and icy roads.

its going to wind down around 11 so not sure why you think you will get more than 5 inches
Please tell me your math isn't that bad. Have 2" as of 7:30 pm and if I continue to get >1" per hour for the next 3.5 hours (until 11:00 pm), I will then have more than 5". Not sure those rates will be sustained but the SPC statement said they should be for a few more hours.

4" in the past 2 hours in New Providence now. Might have happier MILFs up here tonight.

Warnings just issued for ~6" or so for Hunterdon, Somerset, Morris, Sussex, Warren, Poconos, Lehigh Valley, upper Bucks/Montco. Not for Middlesex, lol. Counties in pink are warnings. Some will get well beyond 6" with 3-4+" already on the ground in some of these locations (Morristown, Allentown, etc.). GFS can suck it.

28168250_10213266736096974_2669077302846444278_n.jpg

Edit: here's what the NWS just said...

National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
755 PM EST Sat Feb 17 2018

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...
We are getting total snow reports up to 6 inches across parts of
eastern PA and northern NJ (see latest PNSPHI product) and snow
continues to fall over those areas. Therefore we have upgraded
to a winter storm warning there. Radar mosaic loop indicates
snow starting to taper off for Berks Co and vicinity, but
moderate to heavy snow should continue farther east for a couple
more hours.

Last edited:
Just went out to put the grill on: we are at 5.5 inches right now. Holy crap, this storm is out performing.

Up to 2.75" as of 8:00 pm, which is 3/4" in the last half hour or 1.5" per hour. Wow. Pouring snow out there - true heavy snow with <1/4 mile visibility. Think we get to 5-6" before it ends around 11-12. 32F and roads are a mess in the region. Heard 4.5" in Morristown already.

DJ,you will think of any reason to have a tailgate. I guess tomorrow you have Daytona 500 Day and Presidents Day on Monday.Not sure about Tuesday.

Maybe half an inch in Manchester,but it has gone from rain to snow in the last z30 minutes or so.

Warnings just issued for ~6" or so for Hunterdon, Somerset, Morris, Sussex, Warren, Poconos, Lehigh Valley, upper Bucks/Montco. Not for Middlesex, lol. Counties in pink are warnings. Some will get well beyond 6" with 3-4+" already on the ground in some of these locations (Morristown, Allentown, etc.). GFS can suck it.

28168250_10213266736096974_2669077302846444278_n.jpg

I just posted that but this was updated at 4:40 pm according to my NWS site.

I just posted that but this was updated at 4:40 pm according to my NWS site.

No, they were just issued about 30 minutes ago...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
741 PM EST Sat Feb 17 2018

Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Somerset-Carbon-Monroe-Berks-
Lehigh-Northampton-Western Montgomery-Upper Bucks-
Including the cities of Newton, Washington, Morristown,
Flemington, Somerville, Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg, Reading,
Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Collegeville, Pottstown, Chalfont,
and Perkasie
741 PM EST Sat Feb 17 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow. Total snow accumulations of around 6 inches
are expected.

* WHERE...Portions of northern and northwest New Jersey and east
central, northeast and southeast Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...Until 4 AM EST Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on difficult travel conditions. Be
prepared for significant reductions in visibility at times. The
snow may fall at 1 to 2 inches per hour at times in parts of the
region, resulting in rapidly deteriorating road conditions.

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=winter storm warning

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT