ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Winter Weather Advisories up for most for a glaze of freezing rain this morning (2/7/22)

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
The NWS-Philly and NYC offices just issued advisories for almost all of the Philly-NJ-NYC area (counties in blue) for this morning for likely glaze of ice on all untreated surfaces due to light freezing rain/drizzle ongoing now and likely to persist in some locations through about 10 am (in SNJ/SEPA) and up until maybe noon or 1 pm N of 276/195.

We're only talking about a few hundredths of an inch of rain freezing on sub-32F surfaces, but given that all surfaces - even paved ones - have been well below 32F for 2 days, any rain that falls will freeze instantly on such colder surfaces, at least until the sun is up and traffic warms up the roads.

Sidestreets, driveways, sidewalks and parking lots are especially likely to be a bit icy. Not everywhere will get the precip to cause icing, but enough locations likely will to justify the advisories. Be careful out there.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
253 AM EST Mon Feb 7 2022

Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Somerset-Middlesex-Mercer-
Western Chester-Eastern Chester-Western Montgomery-
Eastern Montgomery-Upper Bucks-Lower Bucks-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST THIS
AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Freezing drizzle and light freezing rain. Ice
accumulations of a light glaze possible.

* WHERE...Portions of central, northern and northwest New Jersey
and southeast Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...Until 1 PM EST this afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Very slippery sidewalks, roads, and bridges are
possible. The hazardous conditions may impact the morning
commute.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ

New Castle-Western Monmouth-Eastern Monmouth-Salem-Gloucester-
Camden-Northwestern Burlington-Ocean-Southeastern Burlington-
Delaware-Philadelphia-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS
MORNING...

* WHAT...Freezing drizzle and light freezing rain. Ice
accumulations of a light glaze possible.

* WHERE...Portions of central and southern New Jersey, southeast
Pennsylvania and northern Delaware.

* WHEN...Until 10 AM EST this morning.

* IMPACTS...Very slippery sidewalks, roads, and bridges are
possible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning
commute.

xZ6YyVd.png

Last edited:
Ice is no joke. Was at Hunter yesterday. Drive up on the thruway, all the trees from Rockland County to Hunter were coated in ice. Very pretty, but tons of utility company trucks going to fix down power lines. That was some storm for them late last week. I always hate seeing freezing rain when it's 24 degrees.

Reactions: RU848789
It appears to have come down as some very light snow in No. Plfd., but there is still some light precip coming down. DPW salted the roads anyway but things don't appear slippery.

It appears to have come down as some very light snow in No. Plfd., but there is still some light precip coming down. DPW salted the roads anyway but things don't appear slippery.
It's called winter in NJ. Happens all the time.

Reactions: RocktheRac
Numerous reports of freezing rain overnight; we ended up surprisingly getting a dusting of snow and not freezing rain up here in Metuchen and in many other locations, but radar is showing freezing rain in much of CNJ to our south heading this way, as it's still only 30F here...

+1
Warning for a possible "glaze" now? People are just making stuff up now.

WeatherAl Strikes Again!

Actively snowing in western Union County/Morris County line.

Would have been nice to know this earlier with taking kids to school.

Numerous reports of freezing rain overnight; we ended up surprisingly getting a dusting of snow and not freezing rain up here in Metuchen and in many other locations, but radar is showing freezing rain in much of CNJ to our south heading this way, as it's still only 30F here...
It's been freezing rain for the last 20 minutes or so and we now have a glaze of ice on everything, including driveways and sidewalks, which are treacherous - our road was treated, so that's ok. You don't want to be in the pink areas on the radar, below.

ba5Aw25.png

It's been freezing rain for the last 20 minutes or so and we now have a glaze of ice on everything, including driveways and sidewalks, which are treacherous - our road was treated, so that's ok. You don't want to be in the pink areas on the radar, below.

ba5Aw25.png
Thanks for all your work. People complain here if it’s 78 and sunny every day.

Snow here in Bergen County. Pleasantly surprised since I was expecting the freezing rain. Nice dusting so far.

We had a 6 page thread on a non event for almost all...yet someone asleep at the wheel heading into this one
You're such a troll sometimes. That was not a non-event for "almost all," as many people in the northern part of our area, including highly populated NENJ and NYC, had significant icing - the threads aren't just for people in southern Somerset County.

And while I posted about today's potential yesterday evening in the other thread, advisories didn't come out until 3 am and I posted them in this thead nearly immediately. Also, the main reason I didn't post a thread yesterday was because I knew it would be trolled hard by people like you and T if nothing happened, which was a possibility at the time, and it's just not worth the grief. But you guys troll them either way - it's sad that you guys seem to get such enjoyment out of trolling weather threads and annoying the vast majority of posters.

Serious question and I don’t mean this negatively towards #s
Doesn’t anyone watch the news in the AM as they sip coffee(or tea)and get ready? LOL
I always thought it was weird but my parents have a TV in their master bathroom cause my dad is on the road for work and needs to know the weather and traffic situation.
You guys want his number? Hahaha

BTW..it snowed here in my town..

Reactions: bac2therac
Serious question and I don’t mean this negatively towards #s
Doesn’t anyone watch the news in the AM as they sip coffee(or tea)and get ready? LOL
I always thought it was weird but my parents have a TV in their master bathroom cause my dad is on the road for work and needs to know the weather and traffic situation.
You guys want his number? Hahaha

BTW..it snowed here in my town..
I do, but more often than not, these threads give a heads up further out. They are also good for real-time observations as weather events unfold. I'll have one of the NY news stations on (usually Channel 2 most days) but when there is a weather event I have News 12 NJ on.

Reactions: Jm0513
ADVERTISEMENT