ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Working in Newark. Where do you live?

Parkway like you said was near orange but 280 blew rite through it.
if you know anyone from that that area they’d tell you 280 was the demise of orange which was a middle class mixed neighborhood where races got along well. You don’t have to buy it but it’s a fact.
btw Imperiale had nothing to do with orange he was all north ward.
No , I agree since I had relatives from there. Played against many EO and Orange athletes since my early CYO days . Did not say Imperiale had anything to do with Orange. Strictly Vailsburg and of that I am quite familiar with .My father grew up on South Orange Ave. played at West Side.

No , I agree since I had relatives from there. Played against many EO and Orange athletes since my early CYO days . Did not say Imperiale had anything to do with Orange. Strictly Vailsburg and of that I am quite familiar with .My father grew up on South Orange Ave. played at West Side.
Anthony Imperiale was not Vailsburg. His power base was the North Ward.
In Vailsburg the power brokers had names like Cryan & Giblin. The mayor, Hugh J Addonizio and his brother Frank (a councilman) were also from Vailsburg.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
He may have been from the North Ward but Anthony spent a great deal of time in and out of the Vailsburg area of the city.

Would you say it was safer back then in the areas of the city we are discussing or now?

So up Boyden Avenue near Menzel Rd. I’m guessing Hilton going toward Tuscan Rd and to Springfield avenue. I lived on Coolidge Street across from Stuyvesant Village .Did you go to Columbia or Parochial HS?
Concord Ave right at the end of Prospect Street
MJH (9th grade) & Columbia

Haircuts on Sorth Orange in Vailsburg ( forget name now) in HS till one of the barbers started his own shop on Valley Street fairly close to CHS.
Tri City I knew because had friend in Irvington that lived on Stuyvesant Ave close to it .

Last edited:
Anthony Imperiale was not Vailsburg. His power base was the North Ward.
In Vailsburg the power brokers had names like Cryan & Giblin. The mayor, Hugh J Addonizio and his brother Frank (a councilman) were also from Vailsburg.
Imperiale was a power broker in a section of the North Ward commonly called the 1st Ward.(Newark's Little Italy)
John Cryan was the Essex County Sheriff 3 times and a State Assemblyman and I believe he owned a tavern in Vailsburg during his days as a power broker in that area of Newark's West Ward.

I wonder if the OP will ever come back to this thread and offer any further remarks. Started the thread 9 days ago and has apparently never returned for the feedback or insights.

Did the same thing about a week earlier (3 separate threads on 3 different TKR boards) about Rutgers-Newark degrees and then no further involvement.

Seemingly trollish behavior, but hope the OP is just really busy and doing fine, and had good intentions behind starting these threads.

Reactions: ATIOH
Imperiale was a power broker in a section of the North Ward commonly called the 1st Ward.(Newark's Little Italy)
John Cryan was the Essex County Sheriff 3 times and a State Assemblyman and I believe he owned a tavern in Vailsburg during his days as a power broker in that area of Newark's West Ward.
Like a Cryan’s in Metuchen .

Like a Cryan’s in Metuchen .
Or the now closed Cryan's Beef and Ale House in South Orange NJ.
I think the Cryan's in Vailsburg ( on South Orange Ave.) was closed and moved to SO in the 1980s

I think the Cryan's in Vailsburg ( on South Orange Ave.) was closed and moved to SO in the 1980s
Forgot about that but in Metuchen I believe it was also Cryan’s steak house. I’m not even sure if it’s still there ?

Shows you how often I look for Taverns now😊 It was across from the new Whole Foods correct?

I wonder if the OP will ever come back to this thread and offer any further remarks. Started the thread 9 days ago and has apparently never returned for the feedback or insights.

Did the same thing about a week earlier (3 separate threads on 3 different TKR boards) about Rutgers-Newark degrees and then no further involvement.

Seemingly trollish behavior, but hope the OP is just really busy and doing fine, and had good intentions behind starting these threads.
Meh, the thread muted about the history of Essex County. Not a bad talk though.

John Cryan, Essex County sheriff lived about a block from me on Sanford Ave. As said above he owned the bar in Vailsburg but it was on Sanford Ave. Big Seton Hall hangout. The Newark St Patty’s Day parade was moved from downtown to Vailburg and went right past the bar, my house and his house. Later the bar moved to South Orange and the parade followed.
The SO bar was closed a few years ago. There is now a Cryans right off Rt 78 in, I believe, Annandale.
John’s son Joe is now a State senator from Union having taken friend of RU Ray Lesniak’s seat. The family knows politics and taverns, probably not in that order.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT