ADVERTISEMENT

OT: worst concert you attended

This thread is one of those that always remind me of how different people's tastes are. And how much better my taste is than most other's
I had trouble coming up with a worst show, probably because I almost never go to shows I'm not sure will be excellent.
But I thought of one. It was back in the 70s and me and a friend were hanging in the city when we walked past the Filmore and saw that a band we had heard of...Grand Funk Railroad was playing that night. So we went in. Yikes. They were awful. The opening with the train crash on the big screen was the highlight of the show. One of the few shows I've ever had to leave early. Renaissance in Asbury Park was 2nd worst....principally because I couldn't handle whatever kind of music they were playing or the vocalist.
Also the Beachboys at Roosevelt racetrack was the only show where we booed the band. But that may not count because it was one of those multi-act early stadium shows and we were there for CSNY. Sorta like Joan Baez at Woodstock. Time to break out the mescaline.

Reactions: Bababooey_Class'80
One of my favorite artists, Bob Dylan, at Waterloo Village. It was HOT, and Bob was just not into it. He sang all the songs, a lot of hits, so fast, you couldn't even recognize what songs they were. His voice isn't good to begin with, but man, that was just soooo bad, lol. I love all his studio albums.

Nina Simone at the Community Theater was dreadful too.

And finally, another favorite, David Bromberg, was playing the tiny Stanhope House in the late 80s, and he starts out saying he was requesting nobody smoke either at the small table area or at the bar behind it. Well, maybe 1 or 2 guys sneak cigarettes (still legal in bars then) and Bromberg has a conniption. Was surly and cut the show short.
Was at that Dylan show, not his best for sure.

Waterloo is coming back. Will be fun to go to shows there again

I've been lucky with concerts, most have been pretty good.

Saw Rush at some stadium at Texas Stadium a long time ago and that would have to have been the worst, I think. We were seated near the top row of the upper deck on the opposite side of the stadium from the band. The stage was a postage stamp. Couldn't see anything.

OTOH, the music was great and surprisingly very, very loud. I spent the whole concert being impressed by the sound engineering.

But if I just wanted to hear the band and not see them, I could've stayed home.

Neil Young at PNC Arts Center in the 90s. He went on a political/war rant with a video board and this loud, in your face, crazy music beat for soooooo long. I actually stayed for awhile longer than I normally would have because I just couldn’t believe that it wouldn’t “end” soon. I was wrong. NEVER again will I sit through, let alone pay to sit through, that BS. If Young made the tour about that in advance, I’d have a choice, which I would respect (and not go). But, for any entertainer to pull that crap to promote their agenda because they have a captive audience is disrepectful...I don’t care what the topic is. Like most entertainers do, keep it very short & that’s fine. Push it, like he did, I’m done. Still pisses me off.

Go RU!
Diane

Neil Young at PNC Arts Center in the 90s. He went on a political/war rant with a video board and this loud, in your face, crazy music beat for soooooo long. I actually stayed for awhile longer than I normally would have because I just couldn’t believe that it wouldn’t “end” soon. I was wrong. NEVER again will I sit through, let alone pay to sit through, that BS. If Young made the tour about that in advance, I’d have a choice, which I would respect (and not go). But, for any entertainer to pull that crap to promote their agenda because they have a captive audience is disrepectful...I don’t care what the topic is. Like most entertainers do, keep it very short & that’s fine. Push it, like he did, I’m done. Still pisses me off.

Go RU!
Diane
Agreed. Even when I agree with an artists point of view, I am not going to their show to hear them proselytize. It's very annoying.

Counting Crows in the mod 90s. Absolutely terrible. I wanted to punch myself in the face it was so bad. Good thing is, The Rolling Stones came on next and blew the roof off the place.

Funny, I saw LIVE and Crows together at the PNC many years ago (we had like corp. 12th row center)..they were fantastic.

Live fell apart years later and I saw Crows later as well just after Adam found love and he was terrible. Needed that depressing edge I guess.

Another vote for Aerosmith, just a different venue and decade. Mid 80's Spectrum. Screamed and wailed for 45 too long minutes

Jerry Garcia at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, solo acoustic. I love Jerry and the Dead and I know there are plenty of people who don't, but even loyal deadheads would have to admit this was a bad one if they were being honest with themselves. That show was in the fall of 1984 and he was just out of it and awful. Turns out he was heading to a drug bust that winter and rehab, so he was obviously struggling with something that night. I think he got busted with heroin in Golden Gate Park and he told the police that he was celebrating the 49ers Super Bowl victory.

Love reading through these posts, but I think some of the problem with these shows is the size of the venue. Some acts just don't do well in bigger venues. I always hated stadium shows, but with new technology, video, etc. today, I think it's easier to put on a better show in that setting.

Funny, I saw LIVE and Crows together at the PNC many years ago (we had like corp. 12th row center)..they were fantastic.

Live fell apart years later and I saw Crows later as well just after Adam found love and he was terrible. Needed that depressing edge I guess.
Yeah I saw Counting Crows at the Wellmont a few years ago and they were pretty good, but you never know when you are going to catch someone on an off night.

The Cars consistently churned out great tunes. Unfortunately, they were consistently among the worst concert acts. Band members performed like their feet were in concrete. They never moved.

Elvis Costello at the Hollywood Bowl 2 or 3 years ago. God he sucked. And it takes A LOT to suck at the Hollywood Bowl.

Elvis Costello at the Hollywood Bowl 2 or 3 years ago. God he sucked. And it takes A LOT to suck at the Hollywood Bowl.
I read somewhere that he can be nasty to his audiences too. "What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?"

Reactions: rume
Yeah I saw Counting Crows at the Wellmont a few years ago and they were pretty good, but you never know when you are going to catch someone on an off night.
So true. Counting Crows is certainly in the "Did you catch them on a good night?" class of bands. Some nights they can lift the crowd to unheard of heights and other nights concert attendees want to slit their wrists.

Elvis Costello is another artist that can be so entertaining some nights. Other nights... ugh.

Wayne Newton in Vegas. Wanted to see him before he either died or lost his voice. One out of two ain't bad....

I read somewhere that he can be nasty to his audiences too. "What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?"

He seemed like a dick. And he sucked. Bad combo. Artists usually treat the Bowl as hallowed grounds. It's iconic. They are happy to play there.

He seemed like he'd rather be arguing with someone in a bar. And he isn't that talented compared to the other people I have seen perform there. And elsewhere.

I am a huge Springsteen fan, but couldn't sit through the Seeger session shows

Costello is definitely a strange dude to figure out.

He, along with Nick Lowe, once performed a great show at the Livingston Gym. He was engaging and funny, playing a superb mix of tunes from throughout his career. Conversely, at MSG, he managed to put on one of the most boring performances in the history of music. The Replacements opened and were awesome.

One of my favorite artists, Bob Dylan, at Waterloo Village. It was HOT, and Bob was just not into it. He sang all the songs, a lot of hits, so fast, you couldn't even recognize what songs they were. His voice isn't good to begin with, but man, that was just soooo bad, lol. I love all his studio albums.

Nina Simone at the Community Theater was dreadful too.

And finally, another favorite, David Bromberg, was playing the tiny Stanhope House in the late 80s, and he starts out saying he was requesting nobody smoke either at the small table area or at the bar behind it. Well, maybe 1 or 2 guys sneak cigarettes (still legal in bars then) and Bromberg has a conniption. Was surly and cut the show short.

Ditto on Dylan. Saw him here 4 years ago here and he really sucked. It's tough because he's such an amazing writer, but he never could sing and this time he sounded like a mountain lion or a woman in labor. Band was good though. And I also resented that he never even looked at the audience (his back to the crowd) until the show was over.

Reactions: RU-AGK
He seemed like a dick. And he sucked. Bad combo. Artists usually treat the Bowl as hallowed grounds. It's iconic. They are happy to play there.

He seemed like he'd rather be arguing with someone in a bar. And he isn't that talented compared to the other people I have seen perform there. And elsewhere.

I saw Elvis Costello at Count Basie for an acoustic show. A real snooze fest. Much better with the band in FL warming up for Steely Dan.

You should never go to see Dylan live he is almost always awful. Saw him in MSG - second worst performance I ever saw.

I saw Quarterflash at Great Adventure in the early 80s. Talk about your prototypical One-Hit Wonder.

you would be wrong on that. They also had the hits "Find Another Fool" hit #16 on the Billboard Hot 100 and "Take Me to Heart" #14

Chick playing saxophone yes

My worst was STP at the Arts Center I think 2008 but not sure of the year. One of my favorite bands of all time, I had already seen them like 6 times before, all great peformances by Weiland and the band...lot of energy After this show I swore off seeing them and now Weiland is dead. Well Filter opened and then instead of the usual 15-20 minutes wait, it was like 45-60 minutes later where someone from the band came on the stage and said Scott was on the tour bus and wouldnt come out, eventually he did..but 90 minutes after Filter left the stage so the sold out crowd was already pissed and howling They opened with Big Bang Baby and he was a train wreck, didnt know the words, la la la ling through someone of them and slipping on a block on the stage. The next couple of songs were so horrible to listen to vocally so even as he improved his demeanor and presentation as the set went on. The damage was done, I couldnt recover from how angry I was. People paid money for a show and were given basically crap by a drunk.

Stone Temple Pilots at PNC when Scott Weyland refused to come on stage. He finally came on after more than an hour and they rushed through a set without any energy.

I've seen them at other show and they were great, for this one Weyland seemed to be fighting his demons.

Stone Temple Pilots at PNC when Scott Weyland refused to come on stage. He finally came on after more than an hour and they rushed through a set without any energy.

I've seen them at other show and they were great, for this one Weyland seemed to be fighting his demons.

mine too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT